U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 01:27 PM

44 posts, read 58,474 times

Advertisements

So my husband maybe needing to relocate to the Council Bluffs area of Iowa for a job. We have never been off of the East Coast. He has been told some people commute from the Omaha area of Nabraska. Never been that way so just wanted to see if anyone has lived in that area? How big of a culture shock are we in for? Any information on the area? We have three young kids. And just wanting to get as much information as I can. Thank you for your time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2014, 01:56 PM

10,808 posts, read 9,626,347 times
I think you're in the wrong forum. Suggest having the mod put this in either the Iowa or Nebraska forum instead.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:24 AM

9,411 posts, read 10,376,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I think you're in the wrong forum. Suggest having the mod put this in either the Iowa or Nebraska forum instead.
This is in the Iowa forum. I will leave it here because it specifically mentions Council Bluffs.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:28 AM

10,808 posts, read 9,626,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
This is in the Iowa forum. I will leave it here because it specifically mentions Council Bluffs.
Then my mistake! I swear I saw this posted in the South Carolina forum. Wow - the old age must be advancing.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:46 AM

5,105 posts, read 6,805,922 times
Hello, OP!

It's about 9 miles or so between Council Bluffs, Iowa and Omaha, Nebraska.

I'm told a number of folks commute because Omaha is a major metro, with more to do than Council Bluffs; however, given our harsh and snowy winters, I'd want to live close to work.

If you don't get a lot of answers here, you may also want to post in the Omaha section of the Nebraska forum.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:05 AM

318 posts, read 466,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Hello, OP!

I'm told a number of folks commute because Omaha is a major metro, with more to do than Council Bluffs; however, given our harsh and snowy winters, I'd want to live close to work.

If you don't get a lot of answers here, you may also want to post in the Omaha section of the Nebraska forum.
It's not 9 miles between them. Only the river. I live in Council Bluffs and have 30 minute drive to Gretna for work. Never have very many bad days to drive.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:15 AM

3,795 posts, read 5,141,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabearof2 View Post
So my husband maybe needing to relocate to the Council Bluffs area of Iowa for a job. We have never been off of the East Coast. He has been told some people commute from the Omaha area of Nabraska. Never been that way so just wanted to see if anyone has lived in that area? How big of a culture shock are we in for? Any information on the area? We have three young kids. And just wanting to get as much information as I can. Thank you for your time.
You'll be in for a culture shock. Just not as big as if you were to move to a totally rural area or maybe the western cowboy country. The east coast people I've known are generally very impatient, a bit on the hyper side and being around anything too laid back drives them crazy. I'm talking about people from New Jersey, eastern Pennsylvania, New York, Maryland, Conn, Mass, and RI. You've stated before that you're more from Virginia/Carolinas area. I'm pretty sure where you're from personality wise isn't all that different than what you'll find in the Omaha area. Your regional accent would be the biggest difference. You don't have to go any farther south than the Iowa/Missouri border to start hearing a more southern dialect.

My son lives right outside the Omaha/Council Bluffs metro. He loves it there.

School wise you do have decisions to make. The southern suburbs of Omaha has some very large and modern schools. The same with the southwestern part of Omaha itself. A little farther out are nice size schools like Plattsmouth, Glenwood IA, and Treynor IA and even Lewis Central (on the southeastern edge of Council Bluffs fairly close to where the new Google building is being built) that are not nearly as big, but still will be able to provide nearly everything that the huge schools have academically and activities wise.

Much smaller communities and schools on the edge of the metro are Underwood, IA and Tri-Center School District which is in the country outside of Neola IA. These are much smaller schools than the others mentioned, but both are right beside I-80 to the northeast making it an easy freeway commute to the new Google center which is on I-29 south of Council Bluffs.

There are quite a few private schools, mostly with a religion connection. In Council Bluffs there's a Catholic school called Council Bluffs St. Albert. This school has a very good reputation based on what my son tells me. The high school plays in Iowa division 2A for sports putting it's high school size somewhere in the 400 student range.

Incidentally, if your husband is going to be working in the new Google building (just my assumption since it's huge and opening soon), the closest town and school to it is Glenwood Iowa, population 5,000. The high school has around 650 students.

I think you'll find schools from all the areas I mentioned to be above average academically when compared to the rest of the country.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:18 AM

3,795 posts, read 5,141,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Hello, OP!

Sorry to disagree with you Meemur, but the only thing separating the two cities is the width of the Missouri River. These cities have totally grown together. It's Minneapolis/St. Paul on a smaller scale.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:22 AM

9,261 posts, read 17,908,696 times
Give her a break, whe's a recent transplant from Ohio. She's probably just going by what Google maps or something similar is telling her.

It's an easy commute regardless of weather. Too much traffic for me, but maybe nothing compared to where the OP is from.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:39 AM

318 posts, read 466,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Give her a break, whe's a recent transplant from Ohio. She's probably just going by what Google maps or something similar is telling her.

It's an easy commute regardless of weather. Too much traffic for me, but maybe nothing compared to where the OP is from.
It's not the OP that said it was nine miles, it was someone giving advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa