Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 07:23 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times

Advertisements

I'd reconsider moving, the best restaurant in town announced that it's closing in September.

Just kidding, there are plenty of other good restaurants in town. But this was the closest thing to an upscale place where you could take somebody that you wanted to impress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2014, 09:50 AM

2 posts, read 3,721 times
You just might enjoy Fairfield. Many of the original settlers were of English and Welsh extraction, so you might find some familiar touchstones. It's relatively crime free and rural, with some level of cultural diversity and decent restaurants. Social life in the Midwest revolves around church activities, so it's worth making the effort to get involved. There are Methodists, Episcopalians, Quakers and others in the area (each of British origin) who would love to meet you and help you get oriented to town. Iowa has one of the strongest public education systems in the U.S. so any of the schools will be above average quality.

Old 08-27-2014, 08:09 AM

30 posts, read 47,384 times
Iowa is all the better for those who whine and complain about the weather.. or the supposed small minded mentality of midwestern small town folks . ..and then leave .. . ..those who do so are simply exposing their own weakness of mind and body and inability to grasp how good real life is . . .. and I'm quite sure no one will have any problem at all with my having stated this here . .

Old 08-29-2014, 03:26 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,506,680 times
It sounds like a great experience for you and for your kids. I have two cousins who teach in the Fairfield schools (but at middle and high school level), and they have lived in the area for years and absolutely love it. Their own three kids have gone through elementary, middle, and high school there. I lived in Iowa years ago and love the state (and the small towns in which I lived), but my experience with Fairfield is limited to what I know from my cousins.

Quote:
Please don't judge all of America by your experience in Iowa.
I've lived in several regions and many cities/towns/states across the US, and this can be said about every place I've ever lived. Every place has its own culture and it doesn't stand for other places in America.

Old 01-11-2015, 02:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,334 times
Need a safe short term rental option ASAP

Old 05-11-2015, 11:06 PM

8 posts, read 14,160 times
My wife is from the UK also and after she arrived here we found out that transferring her nursing degree to the United States was a nightmare, so keep that in mind.

We live in West Lafayette, Indiana, which is also in the Midwest and it was a culture shock moving here since I've always lived on the West Coast and my wife the UK Midlands. Sorry, we have never been to Fairfield, so can't help you with that, but wish you luck with your adventure.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:59 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,255 times
Default Relocating to Fairfield

Bumping the thread here with an interesting new article on Fairfield from the Register.
Fairfield is a far cry from the stereotypical version of small town America.

Why this Iowa town is thriving when so many aren't
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa