Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 08:19 AM

9,612 posts, read 21,155,614 times

Advertisements

Good idea! They come in hand to start campfires, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2014, 06:38 AM

459 posts, read 470,724 times
Rod Blum beats Pat Murphy to win U.S. House District 1 - KWWL - Eastern Iowa Breaking News, Weather, Closings

He also says he's willing to stand up to lobbyists. "I have political courage and I'm not afraid to lose an election. If they say, 'If you vote this way Congressman Blum, we're not going to write you a check,' I'm perfectly fine with that," said Blum.

That's what they should all be about. A majority of them are bought and paid for by corporations like David Perdue of Georgia, but yet they keep getting elected into office. I don't care what party you belong to they should all be about serving the people and not the corporations like I believe Blum will do. People like David Perdue belong on probation or jail for the things he did and not serving on the us senate. When you have a senate with mostly people like David Perdue in it instead of people like Blum you can't really scratch your head and wonder why our country is heading further down the toilet can you? Many years ago people didn't even need written contracts to do transactions. Now today over half the people who enter into written contracts don't even honor them. With the dishonesty, greed, and the me me me and only me that a lot of people have what's next when contracts are no longer enough? What happens when we can no longer breath the air, drink the water, and kill off nature, our oceans become toxic, and all our food is genetically modified? Well I'll tell you what happens. It's a food chain. When animals, plant species etc become extinct then humans become extinct. It is possible that humans become so greedy it annihilates everybody.........

Old 11-09-2014, 08:14 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,071,916 times
Iowa actually elected someone that used a political ad sayign she castrated hogs. If nothing else, Iowa makes for the great butt of many jokes.

Old 11-09-2014, 11:47 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,328,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
Iowa actually elected someone that used a political ad sayign she castrated hogs. If nothing else, Iowa makes for the great butt of many jokes.
Except that hasn't been the story-line coming out of the election...it has been mainly that Iowa is sending its first woman to congress.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:54 AM

4,828 posts, read 6,836,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
I say good for her. Give me a person who's not afraid to roll up her sleeves and do what needs to be done. By her winning it kept one more lawyer out of Washington. I call that a win no matter which party is represented.

You guys aren't close to Minnesota when it comes to electing morons. Jesse Ventura and Al Franken? Really, that's the best they can do? I understand that the musician formally known as Prince could be next. Adrian Peterson has recently been adding to his resume' as a potentially viable political candidate for Minnesota.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:30 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,664,480 times
Every state seems to have it's share of elected nutbags these days.
Yes, it's true that Iowa has now has elected Joni Ernst to the U.S. Senate.
Down here my way, retiring Geogia Republican U.S. Rep Paul Broun said in 2012 that the sciences of embryology, evolution & the 'big Bang' are "...lies straight from the Pit of Hell."
And Colorado Springs just elected Gordon Klingenschmitt to the state legislature. Among other life highlights, he claims to have performed an exorcism (from a distance) on President Obama.
Careful when you point out the foibles of the electorate elsewhere...

Old 11-10-2014, 10:15 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,328,938 times
All politics aside, I really appreciate the that fact that two days after being elected to the US Senate, Joni Erst headed to Camp Dodge to report for duty at the Iowa National Guard. (last Thursday).

To me that is very refreshing.

We just don't have enough ordinary people like this serving in congress anymore.

Old 11-10-2014, 04:35 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,737,120 times
Looks like Iowa can't claim being "liberal" anymore, lol.

For the longest time the "Obama won the Iowa caucus, therefore he became president" mentality was a huge bragging point for the state, especially for the younger generation and the large crowd within Des Moines convinced it's as politically liberal as San Francisco. There are usually only 2 or 3 serious candidates by the time the caucus rolls around, and each party has a respective winner.

It's also forgotten too often that the caucus attracts the fringes of each party, i.e., the most classically liberal/conservative candidate typically wins it for their party. Mike Huckabee won it for the Republicans in 2008, and it wasn't seen as this amazing thing. Rick Santorum edged out Romney by 34 votes in 2012. Same rules apply.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:57 PM

3,316 posts, read 4,102,656 times
Interesting mid terms, I'm so pleased that Branstad won again, kudos to the Great Day morning show on channel 23 for pronouncing him the winner at 9 AM after the polls had just opened....lol. I'm sure at least 60% of you will be delighted to hear that he will overtake George Clinton's record of longest serving governor, nearly 21 years, on Dec 14th, 2015. Hope he runs again in 2018.

Gosh I can't imagine how Braley lost against Ernst, with Tom Harkin, Bill Clinton, and Michelle Obama giving him all that extra help with his campaign....lol. It sort of caught me off guard that Braley cannot return to his old congressional district seat after losing his run for senator, and that a republican won his old seat too, a rather liberal district in Eastern Iowa. I bet Harkin wishes he had run for one more term before retiring, after what happened. I thought Ernst gave a fantastic acceptance speech, she comes off as a woman that loves god and country, and Iowa values, and the whole duty and honor thing kind of rounds out the package with her military background. I think she has great potential, a nice pick for the first congress woman from Iowa.

Also surprised David Young was able to beat Staci Appel by such a comfortable margin, with Young being 3rd pick from the party convention. Nice attempt at the end with that Schoolhouse Rock "I'm just a Bill" negative ad against Young...got a little chuckle out of that one. Guess Ronnie Jonez is right about Iowa being a red state for now. Noticed the DSM networks dumped Young's acceptance speech like a hot potato for Braley, when he started giving his concession speech. And apparently Appel was not even important enough for them to show her concession speech, if she made one, we never got to see it on any of our networks.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:17 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,449,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
Interesting mid terms, I'm so pleased that Branstad won again, kudos to the Great Day morning show on channel 23 for pronouncing him the winner at 9 AM after the polls had just opened....lol. I'm sure at least 60% of you will be delighted to hear that he will overtake George Clinton's record of longest serving governor, nearly 21 years, on Dec 14th, 2015. Hope he runs again in 2018.

Gosh I can't imagine how Braley lost against Ernst, with Tom Harkin, Bill Clinton, and Michelle Obama giving him all that extra help with his campaign....lol. It sort of caught me off guard that Braley cannot return to his old congressional district seat after losing his run for senator, and that a republican won his old seat too, a rather liberal district in Eastern Iowa. I bet Harkin wishes he had run for one more term before retiring, after what happened. I thought Ernst gave a fantastic acceptance speech, she comes off as a woman that loves god and country, and Iowa values, and the whole duty and honor thing kind of rounds out the package with her military background. I think she has great potential, a nice pick for the first congress woman from Iowa.

Also surprised David Young was able to beat Staci Appel by such a comfortable margin, with Young being 3rd pick from the party convention. Nice attempt at the end with that Schoolhouse Rock "I'm just a Bill" negative ad against Young...got a little chuckle out of that one. Guess Ronnie Jonez is right about Iowa being a red state for now. Noticed the DSM networks dumped Young's acceptance speech like a hot potato for Braley, when he started giving his concession speech. And apparently Appel was not even important enough for them to show her concession speech, if she made one, we never got to see it on any of our networks.

She delivered a concession speech, but they didn't show it because it was plagiarized. All kidding aside, unlike you, I'm none too pleased with the results. I don't want another 4 years of Branstad. And I couldn't decide between Braley or Ernst, so I voted for the Libertarian who died in a plane crash.

Branstad would have won regardless, but I think most results nationwide were more of an indictment of Obama than anything else. I'm sure the tide will change again after the next Republican president messes up, so enjoy it while it lasts. It seems like the Republicans and Democrats just keep passing the baton back and forth. Whoever gets control has proven to be ineffective. I hope, for the sake of our country, that I'm wrong this time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa