U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2011, 06:51 PM

688 posts, read 1,104,976 times

Advertisements

i love my friends and fambly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 09:15 AM

14 posts, read 33,710 times
Love my family, hate the nasty lakes and rivers and animal confinements. Greedy farmers yank my chain; businesses like Agraprocessor's with their imported owner thieves allowed to live here and make money to send to Israel aslso anger me.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:53 PM

28,699 posts, read 41,690,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Hate the 182 days of hot, humid summer and 182 days of cold, icy winter.
Absolutely love the 12 hours of spring and 12 hours of fall every year!
I find this to be one of the funnier posts I've read lately. Thanks for the chuckle.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,151 times
Is it hard to find a job that pays enough to support ones self that has only high school diploma. I'm a 54 year old in good health woman. My kids are moving to Hampton, I would like to follow them if I can support myself. I live in California now. Thank you.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:58 PM

116 posts, read 342,683 times
Thins i like : peaceful slow life
No traffic, low cost of food, rent, etc. Assume schools are very decent here.

Things i dislike: hyvee (overpriced with poor variety, lack of fresh bakery, at restauranta no tray dumpsters so people are forced to lravr junk on table wheb they leave and flies fly around and sit). Its pretty disgusting. And thats only best "grocery" ul get unless u mayvr live in big towb like des moines.

Not many busibesses in one area, lack of competition and high prices, this is especially true for services and most utilities. Lack of choice. Iowa is in last place to get technological upgrades. Even tenessee will get them before iowa does.

Local news and sports teams.no major leagues. Everybody hawkeye fan. Where are bears or white six fans? Oh thats right... Its iowa.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:24 PM

586 posts, read 1,997,280 times
What are we going to do with an entire generation that can't form coherent sentences because they're so used to typing short hand text message lingo all of the time?

Old 09-29-2011, 11:12 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,286,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by il_blguy87 View Post
Thins i like : peaceful slow life
No traffic, low cost of food, rent, etc. Assume schools are very decent here.

Things i dislike: hyvee (overpriced with poor variety, lack of fresh bakery, at restauranta no tray dumpsters so people are forced to lravr junk on table wheb they leave and flies fly around and sit). Its pretty disgusting. And thats only best "grocery" ul get unless u mayvr live in big towb like des moines.

Not many busibesses in one area, lack of competition and high prices, this is especially true for services and most utilities. Lack of choice. Iowa is in last place to get technological upgrades. Even tenessee will get them before iowa does.

Local news and sports teams.no major leagues. Everybody hawkeye fan. Where are bears or white six fans? Oh thats right... Its iowa.
Are you from Oakland, Ca?

-Cheers.

Old 09-29-2011, 11:49 PM

116 posts, read 342,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
Are you from Oakland, Ca?

-Cheers.
no, from Chicago area (schaumburg)

Old 09-30-2011, 01:59 PM

3 posts, read 5,578 times
Default Growing up in Des Moines

Quote:
Originally Posted by corel View Post
Hi everyone,
Our family of four is looking to relocate from California... we have a list of about half a dozen states that we are trying to narrow down. Can you tell me about your state? I look forward to hearing more about your state, and I would love to see some pictures too (especially of all seasons). Thank you in advance.
My family lived in Des Moines for a while when I was a kid. It was a great place as a kid! I remember feeling really safe playing with other kids in the neighborhood and we spent a lot of time hiking around the woods and going boating/fishing on the Des Moines River. There were some fun museums in the area (I still remember field trips to the botanical gardens and my dad used to take us to a science museum that was cool...can't remember the name of it anymore). Unless it has changed a lot (this was in the late 80's), it was a great place to grow up. My dad said it was one of the happiest times in his life.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:32 AM

47 posts, read 136,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debra moren View Post
Is it hard to find a job that pays enough to support ones self that has only high school diploma. I'm a 54 year old in good health woman. My kids are moving to Hampton, I would like to follow them if I can support myself. I live in California now. Thank you.
That depends entirely on your job experience and the area of Iowa you move to. Best of luck no matter what you do! I never thought I'd say this, but compared to Minnesota I LOVE the Iowa winters! It snows, but then after a week or few you get to glimpse the grass again. 7 ft high curb piles are a rarity, not the norm!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or