U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 08:17 AM

9,400 posts, read 10,261,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
(queue the Iowa State Fight Song).

There's more to life than football!

Really, there is.

I wouldn't call going to watch college kids play a game a "getaway". Ames is a small town that is burdened by way too many people when school is in session. The roads are still not reaelly ready to accomodate the traffic. I see no reason to go there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 12:18 PM

24 posts, read 4,920 times
Smile why I hate north iowa

North Iowa is so, so boring. The towns are dying. In the smaller communities you can not get basics such as an electric toothbrush or even a fly swatter. You HAVE to drive at least 50 miles or more to buy clothing, appliances, household items. The people are not that friendly either. If you were born and raised there, and went to the local highschool, then you will have friends. If you are not from there, you WILL always be treated as an outsider. People only wave if they know you and only make limited small talk. There is not much to do for fun except watch tv, go to a movie, or eat at one of those overpriced, garbage tasting fast food places. But MOST towns do not even have a theater so again it will take a long drive. Of course the big deal is the local sports, so if you do hear small talk it is ALWAYS about the local highschool sports teams. The rest of the small talk is about peoples big trips. Most of the population is retired, older, wealthy farmers and all they do in the winter is travel or visit their grandkids. So if you are not interested in hearing about their trips or their grandkids or how the last ball game went, then you will be bored to tears living in Iowa. Also, if you are liberal, a Democrat, and not a racist, then best to just keep quiet. About 80% of the population is white, Christian born-again Evangelical Republicans. They are pro-life but are fine about putting little immigrant babies in cages. They are pro-life but would never consider helping a poor, single mom who is struggling. They are pro-life, yet love their guns, so many guns and all the highschool shootings, somehow it does not make sense. And of course, judge the poor rudely and they snicker when poor moms buy milk for their kids and then have the nerve to pay with SNAP assistance. They vote pro-life but think those people who are trying to fight climate change are left wing wack-ooos. And of course it is a big deal to gossip about other neighbors and all of their problems, instead of helping them. And re-tell old news and make up new stuff to make things/events seem even worse. Most of the time, I just pray for the day I can leave.

Old 01-31-2020, 03:34 PM

1,049 posts, read 861,612 times
I think HappyGramma just sold me on moving to Iowa.

The very tone of her post tells me volumes

Old 07-02-2020, 09:00 AM

24 posts, read 4,920 times
Default moving to sheldon iowa

I am thinking about moving to Sheldon Iowa soon. I was wondering what other newcomers think of the community. It seems like a very friendly little town. What are the good points? and what are the bad points? It is so hard to get organized to move. I need moving tips to help me. How to go about down sizing and such. thanks.

Old 07-02-2020, 09:57 AM
Status: "Can athiests get insurance for Acts of God?" (set 13 days ago)

3,651 posts, read 5,040,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygramma View Post
I am thinking about moving to Sheldon Iowa soon. I was wondering what other newcomers think of the community. It seems like a very friendly little town. What are the good points? and what are the bad points? It is so hard to get organized to move. I need moving tips to help me. How to go about down sizing and such. thanks.
I'm curious considering that your other post was anything but flattering about northern Iowa. Why do you think it will be any different in Sheldon Iowa?

Got some news for you, if you think that north Iowa is too conservative for you and over-run with white evangelical born-again Christians, coming to Sheldon will be like jumping out of the frying pan right into the fire. This is the edge of Dutch country, THEE most conservative part of the state of Iowa other than the Amish. The only county more conservative is less than a mile west called Sioux County.

Judging by what you previously posted, you'll blend like oil and water.

Old 07-02-2020, 11:49 AM

1,202 posts, read 1,583,357 times
That, and it's the heart of Steve King territory. Even though he lost the Republican primary, make no mistake, a lot of people there share his ideology, but won't outwardly say it.

Old 07-02-2020, 04:19 PM

694 posts, read 834,130 times
Quote:
Not a newcomer, however been in that general area for 8 years. It’s typical small town Iowa, and really not that different from the Minnesota border towns. Everything you covered in that earlier post about why you hate northern IA would still apply there.
Have a moving/yard sale, or sell on websites if you wanted to downsize before moving.

Old 07-04-2020, 01:21 PM

6,073 posts, read 5,675,837 times
Gramma, Sheldon's definitely not the way to go with your (our) POV. If you need to stay in Iowa, I'd suggest looking at the east side of the state, particularly the area near Decorah, the Quad Cities, or the Iowa City area. Or jump over the state lines into southeastern MN, eastern SD, or NW IL.

Old 07-05-2020, 10:29 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,302,784 times
Well, happygramma, I think Minneapolis might be a better choice for you, lots of single parent baby mama's there, the place is burning with culture and I think there's still a few stores remaining to buy electric toothbrushes and such. You might try Ebay or Amazon for those types of things and save some of those long drives.

Thought I might do a Des Moines update, we had a shocking amount of rioting for several nights and lots of disgusting events occurred. Business downtown on Court and East Village which had just opened up from covid, had windows smashed and a tire store was looted, lots of spray paint ect. They tried to bust into one of the federal buildings downtown and the bulletproof glass inside the lobby prevented entry. Lots of tear gas and confrontations on the state capital grounds, downtown and Merle Hay Mall area. The police struggled to get things under control. A few days later the police took a kneel for them in a disgusting ceremony, which finally calmed them down for a while. Target very wisely boarded up their store in Merle Hay Mall, the next night the mob went after it, and the mall, a few of them got into the mall which was closed, and the cops got them out before they had a chance to loot and burn. I don't think any buildings were burned out, but they destroyed a couple of cop cars, one of them in broad daylight, at a BLM protest in front of HyVee on SE 14th, which got out of hand quick.

Just a couple days ago, the "protesters" went after the cops (whom were retreating at the capitol building) and assaulted the cops and tried to get their guns from holsters, so more cops brought in to get them under control. Then the BLM gives public statement that it was all the cops fault and our local media is now 70% black field reporters/announcers, for a state that is 4% black, The mob and the reporters protect each other, except for the one who got covid from the crowd, lol. The news outlets have become nothing but a tool for BLM to do whatever they want and try to justify the violence and property damage. Every newscast is full of race preach stories and I get sick of hearing it and switch it over to MASH instead, when they don't pull the sub channels and put that crap on there too. The city has otherwise been fairly calm but for those few BLM hotspots which keep popping up.

Governor Reynolds has done a good job with her daily covid updates and keeping a level head thru the riots. She did kowtow a little to the demonstrators and pleaded with them "how can I understand you" blah blah and tried to keep the dialog open with the protesters, under the proper setting, not at the governors mansion grounds in the middle of the night.

No Iowa State Fair this year, no Ragbrai, Iowa Cubs games canceled, that sucks.

Personally, I think I might prefer living in Oskaloosa, Indianola, Creston or Red Oak, some nice southern Iowa towns that are just big enough and don't get as much snow and cold like they get in Northern Iowa, and are not meat packing towns. Carroll is a nice town in west central Iowa, and Atlantic. Those places keep looking better by the day for me, living in Des Moines this past month, but really, a lot of this was brought on by young people being locked down for a couple months with their parents and having no social outlets at school and then the bars open up and wham-O, the cork popped off the bottle. I've never seen this kind of rioting in Des Moines, it's a much bigger riot event than we had in in 1969, which was short from what I read. I don't like seeing my city get torn up but thankfully, most of it has been cleaned up and I hope we can get back to where we were, before the media fueled rampage.

Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM

1,501 posts, read 2,470,698 times
Quote:
North Iowa is so, so boring. The towns are dying. In the smaller communities you can not get basics such as an electric toothbrush or even a fly swatter. You HAVE to drive at least 50 miles or more to buy clothing, appliances, household items. The people are not that friendly either. If you were born and raised there, and went to the local highschool, then you will have friends. If you are not from there, you WILL always be treated as an outsider. People only wave if they know you and only make limited small talk. There is not much to do for fun except watch tv, go to a movie, or eat at one of those overpriced, garbage tasting fast food places. But MOST towns do not even have a theater so again it will take a long drive. Of course the big deal is the local sports, so if you do hear small talk it is ALWAYS about the local highschool sports teams. The rest of the small talk is about peoples big trips. Most of the population is retired, older, wealthy farmers and all they do in the winter is travel or visit their grandkids. So if you are not interested in hearing about their trips or their grandkids or how the last ball game went, then you will be bored to tears living in Iowa. Also, if you are liberal, a Democrat, and not a racist, then best to just keep quiet. About 80% of the population is white, Christian born-again Evangelical Republicans. They are pro-life but are fine about putting little immigrant babies in cages. They are pro-life but would never consider helping a poor, single mom who is struggling. They are pro-life, yet love their guns, so many guns and all the highschool shootings, somehow it does not make sense. And of course, judge the poor rudely and they snicker when poor moms buy milk for their kids and then have the nerve to pay with SNAP assistance. They vote pro-life but think those people who are trying to fight climate change are left wing wack-ooos. And of course it is a big deal to gossip about other neighbors and all of their problems, instead of helping them. And re-tell old news and make up new stuff to make things/events seem even worse. Most of the time, I just pray for the day I can leave.
I think you could almost say that about any part of the state. I grew up in western Iowa and even the larger towns with basic retail and some industry can't keep people around. Every 10 years they lose 3-6% of their population. The rare ones such as Denison that are growing are largely due to immigrants coming to work at local meatpacking plants. Immigration is the one thing that could save rural Iowa, but people in those areas of the state are so insular and inward looking that they'd rather the town die off than embrace change. There is a reason that the state's urban areas are flourishing and the rest of the state is dying off - lack of opportunity, jobs, culture, and diversity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or