Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 08:46 AM

47 posts, read 153,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
There's a climate zone between Des Moines and Davenport? Hmmm...well you must live in a special part of the state that is also different than Burlington where I lived almost 30 years. It was also white for most of 4 months every winter ; the winters it wasn't were the rare ones.
The snow occasionally melts and you can see the grass between snows, which sounds an awful lot like the 'most' in your clarification here. Really that was the case when I lived in Ames too, and southern Iowa. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that maybe you've lived where you have ground that has been entirely blanketed the whole winter. Different parts of the state do have different precipitation and weather patterns, after all, and micro climates abound. (For those of you in parts of Western Iowa who get a terrible amount more snow than the rest of us in February and March, feel free to claim special status, and God bless you).

The 'climate zone' I was thinking of wasn't entirely accurate, though. I was remembering a plant hardiness zone map, and Davenport wasn't just on the line but over it, which I thought terribly interesting and wondered why that would be. This is closest to the map I was remembering: The Arbor Day Foundation! though the new USDA guidelines look nothing like it.

Anywhere in Iowa still gets a good amount of snow, and I'm sure you could enjoy some skiing during all but the most unusual years. In this summer heat, I'm beginning to miss the snow, even...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 09:01 AM

9,479 posts, read 12,223,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leilay View Post
The snow occasionally melts and you can see the grass between snows, which sounds an awful lot like the 'most' in your clarification here. Really that was the case when I lived in Ames too, and southern Iowa. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that maybe you've lived where you have ground that has been entirely blanketed the whole winter. Different parts of the state do have different precipitation and weather patterns, after all, and micro climates abound. (For those of you in parts of Western Iowa who get a terrible amount more snow than the rest of us in February and March, feel free to claim special status, and God bless you).

The 'climate zone' I was thinking of wasn't entirely accurate, though. I was remembering a plant hardiness zone map, and Davenport wasn't just on the line but over it, which I thought terribly interesting and wondered why that would be. This is closest to the map I was remembering: The Arbor Day Foundation! though the new USDA guidelines look nothing like it.

Anywhere in Iowa still gets a good amount of snow, and I'm sure you could enjoy some skiing during all but the most unusual years. In this summer heat, I'm beginning to miss the snow, even...

When I say "you don't see the grass" during winter, I mean ALL of the grass. Periods of time where there is absolutely no snow at all. VERY RARE. You may see patches of grass where the snow has melted, like on a hillside that faces the sun, but to have much time at all in Nov-March where the ground is not at least partially covered in snow really doesnt happen. (except for last winter) Even when I lived in Burlington, where yes it snows slightly less than Des Moines, the winters were snowy.

I absolutely hate winter. I hate snow. It's ugly and a giant PIA. I personally LOVE this heat. I hope the whole summer will be this hot. (yes, I am planning a move to someplace much warmer than here, so dont ask why I dont LOL )

Old 07-03-2012, 09:25 AM

47 posts, read 153,143 times
I've got where you're coming from now. I don't know if we get more sun or less snow in that case, but I'd say we get down to just the tiny patches of snow in shady areas at least a few times in the winter.

Do you have any ideas on where you'd want to move to? Dry heat or muggy? It's been super humid here; I might invest in a dehumidifier just for comfort!

Old 07-03-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leilay View Post
I've got where you're coming from now. I don't know if we get more sun or less snow in that case, but I'd say we get down to just the tiny patches of snow in shady areas at least a few times in the winter.

Do you have any ideas on where you'd want to move to? Dry heat or muggy? It's been super humid here; I might invest in a dehumidifier just for comfort!
Im planning a move to southern Nevada. I'm going where it is HOT I am told that they have 2 seasons usually: summer and January

Old 07-03-2012, 09:02 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,466,076 times
Hate: The geography and weather. I like my mountains, woods, and bodies of water and central Iowa comes up short on this. I am not a fan of the humidity, occasional winds off the Rocky Mountains, and tornado season.

Other than that, it is almost idealistic, minus the lack of quality pizza joints and burrito places.

Old 07-03-2012, 09:41 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,738,902 times
I dislike the weather the most. Winters are usually to cold and summers are too humid. October is usually very nice, and a typical November is nice too.

Since Iowa is farm country, there is little public land for recreation.

Other than that, Iowa is fine.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
I dislike the weather the most. Winters are usually to cold and summers are too humid. October is usually very nice, and a typical November is nice too.

Since Iowa is farm country, there is little public land for recreation.

Other than that, Iowa is fine.
The weather is a big debate subject here. October and November are too cold for my liking. I'm LOVING the near 100 degree temps we are having now. Being out watching fireworks last night at 10 pm it was still in the 90s. Perfect! If I have to wear socks or a jacket its too cold for me.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:46 AM

586 posts, read 2,177,062 times
^
Yeah, that's not for me. I hate this crap right now and am really looking forward to the fall cool down.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:05 PM

15 posts, read 30,870 times
I have considered moving to IA, possibly in the Davenport/Bettendorf area. For the posts I have read, one would assume that your winters are a bit harsh, and the summers hot and humid. Since I have lived in areas with harsh winters as well as hot and humid summers, I have few hesitations about the weather in IA. The biggest concerns would be economically, and whether jobs are available for the average person. I am a retired soldier returning to school, and would need a job to help pay the bills while in school. Any comments would be appreciated.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:03 AM

389 posts, read 917,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resQman View Post
I have considered moving to IA, possibly in the Davenport/Bettendorf area. For the posts I have read, one would assume that your winters are a bit harsh, and the summers hot and humid. Since I have lived in areas with harsh winters as well as hot and humid summers, I have few hesitations about the weather in IA. The biggest concerns would be economically, and whether jobs are available for the average person. I am a retired soldier returning to school, and would need a job to help pay the bills while in school. Any comments would be appreciated.
first you need to explain what school do you want to go to? community college? university? Choose school and once you do that choose area. Some degrees can be taken online but if you start with associate/bachelor you'll probably will need to be on campus. If you coming to davenport because you have there family than can help you then go for it, but otherwise consider school, public state in state where you have you primary residence or anywhere private. As a retired soldier, arent you eligible for GI bill that will help you start with expenses? These could help cover you not only your tuition but also COL. Find a roommate to split costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa