Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 02:23 PM

51 posts, read 211,541 times

Advertisements

Love the fact that from eastern Iowa I can be to Des Moines, Chicago, St. Louis, Omaha, Lincoln, Milwaukee, Madison, Kansas City etc. all within a 2-6 hr drive. I've been to a concert or ballgame in all of these cities more than once.

Hate the fact that when I tell people I'm from Iowa they ask me what kind of animals I have on my farm...we went to a farm once when I was a kid to buy pumpkins.

Last edited by Dport7476; 03-29-2009 at 02:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 09:54 AM

140 posts, read 459,277 times
We moved here about a month ago from Michigan for more secure employment, which is definately more plentiful here. I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. Many people have been very welcoming, others have seemed to be less than thrilled with our arrival, and there doesn't seem to be much in-between. The school system we chose to live in, rated very high on greatschools.com, we aren't overly impressed with- not terrible, but we were used to a ''school family'' back home- and we started in that district as outsiders too. We thought we would find the same atmosphere here in the heartland, but it's just not here. It is very safe where we live, and it does seem like we've travelled back in time 40 yrs, which has its pros and cons. People on here have complained about the weather, which I laugh about coming from MI. No, icy roads are not safe, but neither are earthquakes, mudslides, wildfires, or hurricanes found in other areas of our country and there isn't much we can do about any of them but be aware and take safety precautions. I'm anxious to see what there is to do in the summer here- we're used to beaches galore and those are not easy to find here. I think it boils down to just giving it a chance and realizing that if you move here, it won't feel like home for quite some time because it's just different than what you're used to. It certainly doesn't feel like home to me yet, but I hope it will eventually.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:25 AM

681 posts, read 3,035,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermom0204 View Post
We moved here about a month ago from Michigan for more secure employment, which is definately more plentiful here. I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. Many people have been very welcoming, others have seemed to be less than thrilled with our arrival, and there doesn't seem to be much in-between. The school system we chose to live in, rated very high on greatschools.com, we aren't overly impressed with- not terrible, but we were used to a ''school family'' back home- and we started in that district as outsiders too. We thought we would find the same atmosphere here in the heartland, but it's just not here. It is very safe where we live, and it does seem like we've travelled back in time 40 yrs, which has its pros and cons. People on here have complained about the weather, which I laugh about coming from MI. No, icy roads are not safe, but neither are earthquakes, mudslides, wildfires, or hurricanes found in other areas of our country and there isn't much we can do about any of them but be aware and take safety precautions. I'm anxious to see what there is to do in the summer here- we're used to beaches galore and those are not easy to find here. I think it boils down to just giving it a chance and realizing that if you move here, it won't feel like home for quite some time because it's just different than what you're used to. It certainly doesn't feel like home to me yet, but I hope it will eventually.
What area of the state do you live in? I bet the folks on here know some good beaches and fun summer day trips in the area.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:36 PM

310 posts, read 1,282,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritan View Post
My husband and I have lived in 9 states and 27 cities and I would have to say Iowa is very rude, judgmental, and lacks culture. However it is affordable and safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtoia View Post
I moved to Iowa from Texas, a military brat so lived in many cities, states and countries and living in Iowa is definitely one of the worst states I have ever lived in. I plan to move back to Texas this summer. Income tax is high in Iowa, the state nickels and dimes you to death, people totally lack social graces and I agree with "Tritan"...very rude, judgmental and totally lacks culture. Those born and bred here love it and can understand as most were born on a farm and then moved to the big city of Des Moines....just can't take the rural out of them though and a tuxedo and dungerees just don't go to the same event. If I see one more quilt hanging on a wall I think I will scream.

What a complete load of crap from both of these posters.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:11 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,198,786 times
Default ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPerkins33 View Post
I am with you LPerkins, It is a big load.. I have lived in other states(I live 20 miles west of the Iowa border and go to Iowa a lot)..

I cannot believe the utter nonsense on this board, it is really sad, immature, pathetic and is really kinda reflective of their nature in many ways..

I wish they would back were they came from, nobody around here wants to be around them bitter and angry people.. I wish they would move to and go unleash their absolutely diagnosable 'poor me' mental garbage on a tourist haven.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:35 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,122,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPerkins33 View Post
Why, because you've never seen the other side of the Iowa border?

Old 03-31-2009, 01:00 PM

35 posts, read 153,114 times
We all beat to our own drum, different strokes for different folks and so on. Once again I will say, I gave my 2cents worth on what I love and what I hate about living in Iowa. I am sure that if each poster lived in each other's state of preference, we all would find something we didn't like, if for no other reason than not being use to the culture, enviroment, etc. Opinions are certainly not "crap", so hence, one of the reasons for this forum, to state what we like, dislike, agree, disagree. Saying it is crap is your Midwestern way of disagreeing I guess.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 5,098 times
Often just one or a few people can "show up" on message board to make it look negative, when in fact it is not that way all. [/SIZE][/font]

Having said that and moving onto my experiences, I vacation once a year in Iowa and look forward to it. I very much hope that I can career transfer or at the very least retire in Iowa.

The people of Iowa are the most helpful and friendly I have met in one geographical area as whole. I like the cooler mornings in the summer. I like the peaceful country side. I like how friendly and helpful the people are there.

Each year I go I choose a different part to visit and check out.

When I come back with my photos and stories to share with my co-workers, I sound like a sales person for the state of Iowa

Last edited by Dykstra; 03-31-2009 at 01:42 PM.. Reason: Had the "codes" beside the text

Old 04-01-2009, 12:23 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,985,404 times
just because they dont agree with you, doesnt mean its a load of crap. everyone has their own opinions, based on their own experiences with pple in iowa and elsewhere. i also wouldnt say the person needs psychological treatment for giving an opinion that didnt match your own, ehenningson. judging by the 2 posters feelings, i doubt either will be planning a move to your neighborhood soon, so rest easy.

personally ive found rural iowa to be an unfriendly place. much more so than say metro omaha. when there was an ice storm and my power went out, and i was one of the few, as the line broke from the house to the pole, no one ever came near. that old helping your neighbor stuff certainly hasnt been the case for me anyway. also the pple in the stores sometimes wont even speak to you when spoken to, retail pple working there i mean. it can be a cliquish environment for someone coming from outside the area. but thats just based on my own experiences. i wont say all rural iowa is that way or all pple are that way here. but it certainly has been true from my own experiences here.

i also lived in texas, and found it to be clanish in some parts i visited. but that doesnt mean i will generalize and say the entire state is unfriendly. one could talk about the tx cowboy mentality not being exactly ready for the formal ball either, but thats another topic. not all pple here are clods just as in texas, or elsewhere. every place seems to be seasoned nicely with their fair share.

whether you like it or not here depends what you are looking for in life and your own personal situation. i wont bash someone who doesnt like it here, i will just ask why.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:09 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,129,104 times
We lead the nation in frozen pizza consumption, and Roseanne and Tom Arnolds loosemeat stand are still fresh in the minds of many. We likes to live high off the hog at the Iowa State Fair, eating all them good vittles and blowing all our good spendin' money.

Seriously, Iowa is becoming a "green" state with developement of alternative energy programs, progress is being made in many areas. There is a huge bicycle riding culture in this state, with RAGBRAI being one of the summers big events. Thats what I like most about Iowa, the summers. It brings people out of the cave to enjoy the great outdoors and they know it will pass quickly, so they take advantage of it. I hate the winters but hiding out in the cave is what brings on apathy and depression. Get a coat, go out and do something you like, it works for me.

I am not ashamed in the least that Iowa is known for agriculture. Food production and politics are important in Iowa, the nation, and the world. Thats what we do, be proud of it. It may take 50 years, but someday the Iowa farmer is going to be among the richest class of people in the world. Demand for food will continue to increase as the world population explodes.

Not sure if high society, social graces and cultured living are really high on the list for alot of Iowans, but we're heading in that direction. I think Iowa will continue to become more important on the national and world stage, hope it doesn't affect our thrifty nature and good common sense.

Does anyone have a quilt for sale with patterns of barbed wire, tractors, farm animals, INS decals....with some Steve King campaign buttons attached to the corners ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa