U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 08:52 AM

205 posts, read 310,480 times

Advertisements

Thanks so much for posting about your trip! My SIL is expecting to have an extended stay in the Quad cities for business in the next couple of months, and we've promised to drive over to see her--I'm glad to know some stuff to do there. We drive through all the time, but haven't ever done more than stop for gas.

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 08:58 AM

9,400 posts, read 10,235,579 times
Too bad the weather had to change for the worse. This time of year it is usually not so cold.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:25 AM

231 posts, read 339,788 times
One thing I do want to say that I just remembered: that Frontage Road crud on BUS 61 near I-80 is annoying! I've seen those "service" roads or whatever you want to call them in quite a few of Iowa's bigger cities, and I can't see why Iowa thinks it's such a great idea. The traffic levels just don't warrant a parallel road, and the setup seems to require a lot of extra infrastructure. I've lived in some pretty big metros and almost never saw this stuff, and when I did it was a tiny one-off experiment. The extra "lane" is generally integrated into the parking lots.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:29 PM

4,757 posts, read 6,434,026 times
Where's the Quad Cities Inn?

Old 11-17-2014, 12:46 PM

Correction. Quad City Inn. Sorry about the typo.

Old 11-17-2014, 12:59 PM

4,757 posts, read 6,434,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by one is lonely View Post
Correction. Quad City Inn. Sorry about the typo.

I didn't mean it like that..I was just wondering where it's at, I've never heard of it....Googled it. I think it used to be a Motel 6 or something, I recognize it now.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:38 PM

I didn't think you were grilling me or giving me a hard time. I was legitimately sorry for getting the name of the hotel wrong. Well, sorta - you know what I mean. Interesting if it was once a Motel 6. Some of the design choices were... interesting. It was clearly a low budget hotel from the onset, but it got the job done for me. I wasn't planning on hanging around the hotel much anyway.

Old 11-17-2014, 02:50 PM

9,400 posts, read 10,235,579 times
Quote:
I didn't think you were grilling me or giving me a hard time. I was legitimately sorry for getting the name of the hotel wrong. Well, sorta - you know what I mean. Interesting if it was once a Motel 6. Some of the design choices were... interesting. It was clearly a low budget hotel from the onset, but it got the job done for me. I wasn't planning on hanging around the hotel much anyway.

I Googled it, too, and fuirst thought from the picture was "Motel 6"

Old 11-19-2014, 05:25 PM

387 posts, read 541,878 times
Quote:
I'd definitely point someone that wants to get a quick, very affordable taste of what living in the urban/suburban Midwest is like to the Quad Cities. It has some real vibrancy to it. It's not a dead or even dying area.
If your point of comparison is Detroit (which it appears to be) then I suppose the Quad Cities isn't quite as depressing. However, if you've lived in other nearby areas that actually have some vision and a forward-looking economy, the QC isn't all that astonishing. It definitely isn't the worst place in America. It isn't even the worst place in Iowa -- Waterloo wins that title -- but it lacks a "real city" aura that most people seeking an urban environment would demand.

Old 11-20-2014, 07:00 AM

I've been all over the eastern half of the country and lived in several areas, so I have plenty of points of comparison. I was just trying to appreciate the QCs for what they are. It's a metro of less than 400,000 people that lacks what I'd consider a major university.

I still think it's more interesting than Des Moines, and while Iowa City is great, it's small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa