U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 03:46 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,350,394 times

Advertisements

The QC's greatest strength may be that it feels laid-back for being a mid-sized metro. It has a certain sincerity to it. The QC isn't trying to proclaim itself as the greatest place in the world on an irrelevant per capita metric day after day. Cities like Des Moines, Madison, or Omaha (but to a lesser extent) can actually feel very uptight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2014, 05:22 AM

387 posts, read 541,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
The QC's greatest strength may be that it feels laid-back for being a mid-sized metro. It has a certain sincerity to it. The QC isn't trying to proclaim itself as the greatest place in the world on an irrelevant per capita metric day after day. Cities like Des Moines, Madison, or Omaha (but to a lesser extent) can actually feel very uptight.
I agree completely with what you're saying. The QC isn't concerned with appearance to outsiders, which can be a strength and a weakness simultaneously. While Des Moines relies on scams like insurance and government administration to attract new residents, the QC is content to sit back and let other cities grab all the economic development/notoriety they can. It's certainly a unique approach to marketing oneself.

Unfortunately, the end result forces young people in search of jobs to flee the area upon graduation. I can't tell you how many people I know in the QC who moved out over the past 20 years. Ironically, a good share of those folks landed in Des Moines.

Old 12-11-2014, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one is lonely View Post
I actually think the QCs would be better off if the whole area was inside Iowa. Moline and Rock Island are completely lost in the shuffle in Illinois.
A good chunk of the Iowa side's growth comes from Illinois QC residents moving across the river to be closer to work. Bettendorf/Pleasant Valley also has the best schools. The metro basically cannibalizes its own population base, which is why the QC's growth has been so flat during the past 40 years.

As long as they keep relying on manufacturing to provide jobs, I doubt we'll see anything different.

Old 12-12-2014, 09:11 AM

231 posts, read 339,829 times
I'm curious, funk. I get the impression you still live in the QCs. To which I can't help but ask: why? If you think it's such a losing area, why haven't you moved? Unless you've found a good job - but that'd sort of negate your whole angle, right?

I will say, if you don't tailor yourself to the skill-sets in demand in your area AND aren't willing to move away, you can paint yourself into a corner pretty quickly. Like, for example, if I had a liberal arts degree, I wouldn't view Detroit as anything more than a stepping stone. You might get lucky and land in a top local position, but it's something I'd count on.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by one is lonely View Post
I'm curious, funk. I get the impression you still live in the QCs. To which I can't help but ask: why? If you think it's such a losing area, why haven't you moved? Unless you've found a good job - but that'd sort of negate your whole angle, right?
I am in the Quad City area due to family-related obligations, none of which I care to discuss on a public forum. Let's try to keep this discussion out of the personal realm. Is that too much to ask?

While I find it very peculiar that someone who claims to be from Detroit has such an unusual affinity for a humdrum place hours away, I'm not going to start grilling you on personal matters.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:56 PM

3 posts, read 2,905 times
stop through the Quad Cities at whiteys get back in car head towards Chicago. Perfect vacation

Old 08-06-2015, 03:19 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,097,769 times
I just got back from QC and I loved being there even though I was working.....the Bent River Brewing Co was awesome for outstanding draughts and very good pulled pork. Friendly crowd and being a Bostonian made me a novelty of sorts I guess. Ladies, I will be back. BRB had the $2.50 a pints on Tuesday and the $4.00 cheeseburg baskets running all night and the place was busy inside and out. Wow did I mention the beer was great? And some other newish place called Brix has amazing beer - an Oregon brew 'Deschutes' was spectacular on tap and some very very good pizza. Again, friendly mid westerners, almost Canadian-like in their nicely ways. Noticed lots of other dining and drinking options so there plenty for those seeking even Thai food in downtown Moline. The place is very interesting, being a New Englander and all...very subtle beauty to the place and very different landscapes and city-scapes than I am used to. Looking forward to exploring more QC when I am back that way.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:10 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,654,944 times
I don't usually post in the Iowa forum, but I saw this thread on the main-page. My dad grew up in the Quad Cities. In fact, my grandfather did, as well (in Reynolds, I think...). In the twenty+ years that I have visited regularly, that whole area has undergone a pretty marked transformation. My dad claims (and I don't know if this is actually true or not) that unemployment peaked near 20% after the farm crisis in the '70's. To come back from that and to market itself as well as it does is a real testament to that region.

Only recently have I discovered the untold delights of Le Claire. That is quite a town! I haven't been in downtown Davenport recently, but have definitely been since the Figge opened its new building and sky-bridge. Anecdotally, it seems like there is a lot more going on downtown, too. I also wonder if anybody has any insight on the I-74 bridge reconstruction and its potential impact? Obviously it is a net economic gain that will justify all of the headaches it is causing right now.....but has anybody quantified the gain in a $ amount? I remember going over the old one many, many times....pretty much a dinosaur as far as interstate bridges go...

Old 08-07-2015, 04:11 AM

361 posts, read 267,979 times
The Figge is really the only thing that would convince me to drive from Cedar Rapids to Davenport this weekend. It is like an oasis in the middle of a barren wasteland. You probably missed the best thing Davenport has to offer.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:45 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,654,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaConservative View Post
The Figge is really the only thing that would convince me to drive from Cedar Rapids to Davenport this weekend. It is like an oasis in the middle of a barren wasteland. You probably missed the best thing Davenport has to offer.
I'm also very familiar with Cedar Rapids. I strongly prefer Davenport....and not just for the Figge...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa