U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 12:11 AM

413 posts, read 1,577,707 times

Advertisements

I would be curious to hear what IowaConservative thinks Cedar Rapids does better as far as amenities or quality of life stuff. Crime and the unemployment are lower, but as far as cultural amenities, I'm not sure where we're lacking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 04:29 AM

361 posts, read 268,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
I would be curious to hear what IowaConservative thinks Cedar Rapids does better as far as amenities or quality of life stuff. Crime and the unemployment are lower, but as far as cultural amenities, I'm not sure where we're lacking.
You must have missed my first post here. Cedar Rapids is an absolute craphole, I am only here for another week and I never thought I would be missing Ames, for God's sake.

Lets be honest here, most secondary Iowa cities suck ass but the Figge is probably the only thing that would make me want to drive back to Davenport.

I know a lot of you guys are cheerleaders for these places and love to go on and on about how exciting these places are but the reality is, there is very little to do in these places.

First time I visited the Figge, I was entertained for about 3 hours and for Iowa, that is impressive!

Old 08-08-2015, 12:46 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,655,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaConservative View Post
You must have missed my first post here. Cedar Rapids is an absolute craphole, I am only here for another week and I never thought I would be missing Ames, for God's sake.

Lets be honest here, most secondary Iowa cities suck ass but the Figge is probably the only thing that would make me want to drive back to Davenport.

I know a lot of you guys are cheerleaders for these places and love to go on and on about how exciting these places are but the reality is, there is very little to do in these places.

First time I visited the Figge, I was entertained for about 3 hours and for Iowa, that is impressive!
It's obviously a matter of perspective. When I am coming to Davenport, it is from the Twin Cities and there is obviously less to do for a weekend in the Quad Cities than in the Twin Cities.

I also have the benefit of having visited the Quad Cities on a somewhat regular basis for the majority of my life, and I can say definitively that it is not an overstatement at all to suggest that there is way, way more going on in Davenport now than there was in the 1990's.

If you look at comparable cities, Davenport (and the whole Quad Cities region) punches above its weight. Duluth is a bit more friendly to outsiders coming in for a visit, but that's about it. What other city of similar size in the Midwest do you think *does* do a better job of providing amenities to visitors than Davenport? Sioux Falls? Peoria? Fort Wayne?

Old 04-19-2017, 12:24 PM

111 posts, read 75,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
I agree completely with what you're saying. The QC isn't concerned with appearance to outsiders, which can be a strength and a weakness simultaneously. While Des Moines relies on scams like insurance and government administration to attract new residents, the QC is content to sit back and let other cities grab all the economic development/notoriety they can. It's certainly a unique approach to marketing oneself.

Unfortunately, the end result forces young people in search of jobs to flee the area upon graduation. I can't tell you how many people I know in the QC who moved out over the past 20 years. Ironically, a good share of those folks landed in Des Moines.
I just moved to Des Moines based on that. I love you all.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:26 PM

387 posts, read 542,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
I just moved to Des Moines based on that.
One day, the people who run the Quad Cities will figure out that having loft apartments in abandoned warehouses and having microbreweries that name their beers after a roller dam isn't enough to attract new residents. A place needs to have opportunity above all else.

There is little opportunity in the Quad Cities. It's a place you live in because you have to, not because you want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa