U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 08:03 PM

233 posts, read 306,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
And Des Moines has the I-235 spur in addition to I-80 and I-35. So, the score card shows the QC with 4 interstate routes and Des Moines with 3.

3 times 2 does not equal four. Your math is a little off tonight.
No ... my math is off EVERY night. By the way 3 x 2 = 6 (I think) so I'm not sure what the point was in that.

Quote:
What difference does it make if Iowa has a major city or not? It's still a state based primarily on rural agriculture. So what.
It DOESN'T make a difference, I wasn't necessarily pointing it out as a negative thing when I originally made the post. As I clearly stated at the last paragraph of my OP. However I was wondering what the real factors were that stopped Iowa from having a large urban area when most surrounding states DID develop one in their early developing histories. Which you really haven't answered or contributed to that question at all. Rather you just compared modern day growth trends and interstate infrastructure. Another topic, another day.
Rate this post positively

Old 11-19-2014, 08:13 PM

387 posts, read 551,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burrrrr View Post
It DOESN'T make a difference, I wasn't necessarily pointing it out as a negative thing when I originally made the post. As I clearly stated at the last paragraph of my OP. However I was wondering what the real factors were that stopped Iowa from having a large urban area when most surrounding states DID develop one in their early developing histories.
The Iowa economy wasn't set up to attract large numbers of people to one city. That's why the state has been a national leader in corn/soybean/beef/pork production for over a hundred years. Agriculture doesn't require nor does it produce an economy where population becomes concentrated in one central location. In fact, it requires that the population be spread out over vast stretches of land.

Manufacturing and finance (which were a large part of the Chicago, Minneapolis, Milwaukee and Saint Louis economies) did attract large numbers of people to a central location. Riddle solved.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
No ... my math is off EVERY night. By the way 3 x 2 = 6 (I think) so I'm not sure what the point was in that.
You said the Quad Cities had twice the number of interstates as Des Moines.

Let's break it down, since you obviously have difficulty with math:

Des Moines with three interstates (I-80, I-35, I-235)
Quad Cities with four interstates (I-80, I-88, I-74, I-280)

Since when is four twice the quantity of three? You made a statement that was mathematically incorrect.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Riddle solved.
You didn't "solve anything" ... and people can continue to give ideas and ask questions - your quick witted response really ignored a lot of important points. Not to mention it was a lot less informative than the previous posters - and they somehow managed to do it without a tone! What a concept.

Hey -- you take care!

Old 11-19-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
since you obviously have difficulty with math:
Ya know ... some people ACTUALLY do - so you should watch what you say there! Ease up a little man.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:25 PM

Quote:
You didn't "solve anything" ... and people can continue to give ideas and ask questions - your quick witted response really ignored a lot of important points. Not to mention it was a lot less informative than the previous posters - and they somehow managed to do it without a tone! What a concept.

Hey -- you take care!
So, does the Quad Cities still have twice the number of interstates as Des Moines? Your informative post on that subject was very enlightening.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:34 AM

9,421 posts, read 10,406,389 times
Hey, guys? Let's stop with the math bickering and stick to the topic. Thanks.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:22 AM

9,261 posts, read 17,984,734 times
Quote:
You said the Quad Cities had twice the number of interstates as Des Moines.

Let's break it down, since you obviously have difficulty with math:

Des Moines with three interstates (I-80, I-35, I-235)
Quad Cities with four interstates (I-80, I-88, I-74, I-280)

Since when is four twice the quantity of three? You made a statement that was mathematically incorrect.
I-235 and I-280 shouldn't count in the context of this discussion as each begins and ends in its respective metro area.

Highway 61 through the Quads isn't classified as an interstate, but it is a major four-lane that passes completely through the state into Wisconsin and Missouri.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I-235 and I-280 shouldn't count in the context of this discussion as each begins and ends in its respective metro area.

Highway 61 through the Quads isn't classified as an interstate, but it is a major four-lane that passes completely through the state into Wisconsin and Missouri.
I kindly disagree that spur interstates "shouldn't count" ... They often serve as major local interstate infrastructure - which they do in both local areas of the QC and Des Moines. US 61 is one of those remaining US highways with high importance as it is not detracted away by an interstate option for that route such as oh , highway 6. Rather it IS the option for that trans-state Mississippi route.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:36 PM

9,261 posts, read 17,984,734 times
Quote:
I kindly disagree that spur interstates "shouldn't count" ... They often serve as major local interstate infrastructure - which they do in both local areas of the QC and Des Moines.
Sure, they're important for infrastructure purposes. But this line of debate was started in the context of interstates as a means of access to the city, and from that standpoint 235 and 280 really don't fit into the discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa