Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2014, 10:16 AM

7 posts, read 20,865 times

Advertisements

We are moving from Texas to the CR/IC area and are looking at schools. We are mainly looking for smaller towns, but with good education in the school system and good sports (mainly in basketball/football). We have a junior in high school, so our main priority is finding a good fit for him.

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2014, 06:31 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,609,630 times
I know that Cedar Rapids Washington's football team went to the state championship.

(I know because I watched them beat my nephew's Bettendorf team in the semifinals at the UNI dome. So now my family officially hates Cedar Rapids, lol.)

Old 12-13-2014, 08:38 PM

11 posts, read 24,029 times
We're looking at doing the same move from Humble/Northeast Houston. Where y'all moving from?

Old 12-13-2014, 10:37 PM

7 posts, read 20,865 times
We are moving from the Dallas area.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:58 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,194,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by titus06 View Post
We are moving from Texas to the CR/IC area and are looking at schools. We are mainly looking for smaller towns, but with good education in the school system and good sports (mainly in basketball/football). We have a junior in high school, so our main priority is finding a good fit for him.

Thanks for your input!

You really can't go wrong with any of the schools in CR/IC. For a smaller town, I hear Mount Vernon has a very good football team. Linn-Mar, Prairie (College Community district), and Washington High for sports also. Another small town is Solon but I don't know if they feed into West High in IC, which is also good for sports.

Last edited by smpliving; 12-14-2014 at 07:13 AM..

Old 12-14-2014, 07:14 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,255 times
Both City & West High Schools of Iowa City are often powerhouses in athletics & so is the much smaller Catholic Regina High in Iowa City.
As for example, here is a link from Wikipedia that specifically highlights not only the athletic but academic & special programs offerings & history of City High School. And as noted there, Sports Illustrated Magazine cited City as the top sports school in Iowa. The citings at the link also note that City has much to offer in the way of academic excellence as well as in arts programs.
The athletic success of all 3 high schools in Iowa City build upon the youth programs that are available in the area that encourage athletic participation & excellence.

Old 12-14-2014, 07:16 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,194,333 times
Ditto on City High and Regina. Xavier Catholic High in CR also does well in sports from what I hear.

Old 12-14-2014, 02:50 PM

206 posts, read 382,782 times
I can vouch for Mount Vernon--it's a great town, with a good school and strong athletics. Solon has its own high school, and does fairly well, I believe.

One thing to keep in mind about Iowa--women's basketball is just about as popular at the high school level as men's; there's a long tradition, going back way before Title IX. Also, in smaller towns some of the less televised sports may be as big as basketball or football--in Mount Vernon, wrestling, volleyball, and even archery are all huge.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:09 AM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedibes View Post
I can vouch for Mount Vernon--it's a great town, with a good school and strong athletics. Solon has its own high school, and does fairly well, I believe.

One thing to keep in mind about Iowa--women's basketball is just about as popular at the high school level as men's; there's a long tradition, going back way before Title IX. Also, in smaller towns some of the less televised sports may be as big as basketball or football--in Mount Vernon, wrestling, volleyball, and even archery are all huge.
Ditto on Solon. This school has a long tradition of athletic excellence. Pretty nice town too and within easy driving distance to both CR and IC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa