Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 09:17 PM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LivoniaMi View Post
I had a job lead in Sioux City. After going through this thread....I think I'll pass.
I'd still follow through on the job lead. There are lots of nice smaller communities outside of Sioux City to live. In this area, commuting 20 to 30 miles to a job is nothing. You'll get there as fast or faster as living within 2 miles of your work in the very large cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 09:33 PM

23 posts, read 84,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivoniaMi View Post
I had a job lead in Sioux City. After going through this thread....I think I'll pass.
I'd still follow through with it. Passing up a job in this economy? Someone from metro 'D' should know how hard it is to snag a job right now

Old 05-27-2010, 12:03 PM

272 posts, read 724,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMsioux View Post
I'd still follow through with it. Passing up a job in this economy? Someone from metro 'D' should know how hard it is to snag a job right now

Well, after nearly a year of being unemployed.....tell me about it....

Old 08-24-2010, 07:04 PM

2 posts, read 5,015 times
I've lived in Sioux City all my life. Mostly the northside. Moved to the westside. I LOVE where I'm at. Clean, nice, and friendly neighborhood. Jobs are far and few but other than that it's really not that bad of a place. Best of luck!

Old 08-24-2010, 07:15 PM

449 posts, read 1,394,012 times
Texastrigirl wrote:
My oldest brother did move back though after 30 years in big cities such as Atlanta. He is sooooo enjoying the fact that there is no traffic there.

I am from Iowa and now live in D.C. I can totally relate, and how I envy your brother. The traffic here is absoutely hainous. My wife and I want to retire back in Iowa or at least the midwest.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,545 times
Sioux city has fallen off what it was when i was growing up in the 70's and 80's, but I'm still here after living in 3 different places, Sioux city is still home. If people have that many complaints (which some are valid, some aren't) then go to the city council meetings.. You will be heard, maybe to no good effect, but then there is possibly a chance you may get through to these hard heads that seem to keep Sioux City from prospering. Sioux city is a relatively central city in this nation and we should be utilizing that to the best of our abilty by recruiting serious business's to build, or move here.. Shipping cost is easier from the midwest than it is from Coast to coast.. We need good hard working people with good ideas to come here and help this City prosper as it did years ago. Like 1 person already said, this area has some of the most honest, dependable, hardest working people in the nation..IF YOU MOVE HERE, WELCOME

Old 08-11-2011, 07:53 PM

99 posts, read 231,672 times
In 1957 I convinced the folks to relocate to California.

Despite the MANY and steadily-increasing negatives there (increasing exponentially when mega-millions of invaders crossed the southern border) we never returned.

Old 10-31-2012, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 2,019 times
Just moved to Dakota Dunes for that reason...when we lived in sioux city (south helen street in the Morningside ) our brand new 2012 subaru forester got the windows smashed out 1 month after we bought it then a few weeks later our other car was vandalized. I was so angry and could not wait to move to a very nice area which Dakota Dunes is. I don't know why people are saying that dakota dunes is super expensive to live in and that people will judge you because they don't. We have a mixture poor college students to the very wealthy living here in the dunes. I am one of those poor college students and rent is only 750 a month....anyone with a job can pay that.... Everyone is so nice here in the Dunes and have not had a problem with any of the neighbors. It is a master planned community though so we do not want trashy people living here that will just destroy the value of this area. If you are thinking of moving to sioux city..then move to dakota dunes...there are two very nice apartment complexes here welling and prestwick. other than that if you want to purchase a home the median home only costs 161,000....so in reality that's not a lot of money if you want to live in a very very nice community were you can walk down the street at 2 am and not worry for your life

Old 11-02-2012, 04:19 PM

173 posts, read 345,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylaa View Post
Just moved to Dakota Dunes for that reason...when we lived in sioux city (south helen street in the Morningside ) our brand new 2012 subaru forester got the windows smashed out 1 month after we bought it then a few weeks later our other car was vandalized. I was so angry and could not wait to move to a very nice area which Dakota Dunes is. I don't know why people are saying that dakota dunes is super expensive to live in and that people will judge you because they don't. We have a mixture poor college students to the very wealthy living here in the dunes. I am one of those poor college students and rent is only 750 a month....anyone with a job can pay that.... Everyone is so nice here in the Dunes and have not had a problem with any of the neighbors. It is a master planned community though so we do not want trashy people living here that will just destroy the value of this area. If you are thinking of moving to sioux city..then move to dakota dunes...there are two very nice apartment complexes here welling and prestwick. other than that if you want to purchase a home the median home only costs 161,000....so in reality that's not a lot of money if you want to live in a very very nice community were you can walk down the street at 2 am and not worry for your life
You were probably the victim of some high school or college kids. You sound like you are prejudice. To be honest where would you be going at 2:00 in the morning in Dakota Dunes or Sioux City besides from your car to your house? Worry for your life? Sioux City is not Chicago! It's not perfect, but it made leaps in bounds in the last 10 years. I highly recommend Sioux City, and am proud to have grown up in Sioux City. The thing that is the worst about Sioux City is the negative attitude of some of the people. This forum reflects the worst of that. I am glad you are happy in Dakota Dunes. I would love to see the entire area grow.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:04 PM

482 posts, read 874,819 times
How much is acreage? 30 minutes or less to SC, 3-4 bedroom house, 10-20 acres, and a small barn? What would we be looking at cost wise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa