Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 08:20 PM

2,036 posts, read 1,605,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by exploringoptions View Post
Right now the biggest hurdle to our relocation would be the fact that we BOTH need to work, and there don't appear to be too many openings in my field out there right now.
You may not find something in your chosen field right away, however lots of businesses here are hiring. Like other upper Midwest cities, Sioux City currently has a low unemployment rate. Industries such as hospitality, food service, and retail are always looking for people to fill positions. In fact, there will be a new Bed, Bath, and Beyond with other businesses opening in the Sunnybrook Plaza this spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 06:30 AM

389 posts, read 671,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star691 View Post
You may not find something in your chosen field right away, however lots of businesses here are hiring. Like other upper Midwest cities, Sioux City currently has a low unemployment rate. Industries such as hospitality, food service, and retail are always looking for people to fill positions. In fact, there will be a new Bed, Bath, and Beyond with other businesses opening in the Sunnybrook Plaza this spring.
Sioux City is just now finally getting a Bed, Bath, and Beyond?!?! Wow. Talk about being behind the times. Even depressing and run-down Waterloo has had one of those stores for over ten years now. When is Sioux City getting a K-Mart?

Old 02-20-2015, 10:32 AM

71 posts, read 118,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
Sioux City is just now finally getting a Bed, Bath, and Beyond?!?! Wow. Talk about being behind the times. Even depressing and run-down Waterloo has had one of those stores for over ten years now. When is Sioux City getting a K-Mart?
We already have a k mart by menards and bomgaars on Gordon drive right when you come into town

Old 02-20-2015, 11:01 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
Shay
Sioux City has long been an acknowledged retail hub for portions of 3 states.
I've never considered that the having or lacking of a KMart or Bed Bath & Beyond store in a city was of vital importance & I'm sure that you are in the same boat with me.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:34 PM

149 posts, read 303,339 times
Yeah, I've worked retail in the past, but with a master's degree and 15 years of experience in my profession, most retail employers put my application in the "over-qualified" pile. (That is what is currently happening to my spouse out here. ) Also, with children, at least one of us needs a regular schedule (which my spouse cannot depend on sometimes).

Thanks for the insights!

Old 02-21-2015, 08:25 PM

389 posts, read 671,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay53 View Post
We already have a k mart by menards and bomgaars on Gordon drive right when you come into town
Bomgaars! Now there's an upscale retailer for Iowa.

If I ever need a cattle prod or fencing to keep in the piggies, that's the first place on my list.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:23 PM

71 posts, read 118,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Shay
Sioux City has long been an acknowledged retail hub for portions of 3 states.
I've never considered that the having or lacking of a KMart or Bed Bath & Beyond store in a city was of vital importance & I'm sure that you are in the same boat with me.
Yeah you're right even if they weren't there there are plenty of other places to go but it's still nice to have them around

Old 03-09-2015, 08:28 AM

149 posts, read 303,339 times
So, in terms of housing, what would you all recommend?

IF (and it is still a big if) we were to relocate to Sioux City, we'd be doing so with a school-age child and a dog. We've owned our home for several years, so we don't really have a rental history to call on....however, we aren't sure we'd want to buy right away (I also don't know all the logistics of selling/buying/long-distance moving). I know that quite often, the areas where rental housing is available and affordable are not always where the good schools are located. I'd love to say that we'd be looking to buy right away, but I just don't think that's realistic.....

Old 03-09-2015, 03:24 PM

2,036 posts, read 1,605,030 times
There are many apartments for rent in the Southern Hills area(real nice area). You may want to try an apartment guide search for more information. Many houses for rent, as well. Southern Hills, Sunnybrook, Lakeport - all nice areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa