Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 12:44 PM

17 posts, read 50,463 times

Advertisements

I'm back with another question. The development or shall I say the Lack of development in the downtown district. How can this be improved? I personally think its ironic no one ever really questions how tax money is being spent. Not on a dramatic level at least. Seems as though most people just pay the tax and relax. With respect to the downtown district. Shouldn't the city spend more on infrastructure and the development of new attractions to downtown. This could include street scape, the introduction of technology, maintaining a great library and other great educational venues. They can seriously plan for future development. Actively try to attract new businesses and entertainment. Maybe even really do some of the things that are the fifteen in 5 plan. The city clams it doesn't have the money. However the city is able to spend 60% of its budget on public safety most going to the police and next the fire department. I mean, do we really need to spend over 24 million to police officers that are more consumed with giving traffic violations to people with a blown out licenses plate light. I understand the importance of these departments however cedar rapids is not that dangerous of a place that this kind of spending is needed. These cops are ineffective in their jobs; they address the wrong issue. Many of these officers run the streets as though they are God Kings bending the law at their whelm; disrespectful, unhelpful... Let me get back on track before I completely lose it . Long story shot is the money is there. How can Cedar Rapids help save it's downtown??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2008, 08:09 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,219 times
I think a big challenge CR has for their downtown is overcoming the order/smells from some of the manufacturing plants located too close to downtown (e.g...Quaker).

Old 01-15-2008, 09:33 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,121,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
I think a big challenge CR has for their downtown is overcoming the order/smells from some of the manufacturing plants located too close to downtown (e.g...Quaker).
You can't be serious? Relocate the largest cereal mill in the country so that the stinky smells dont offend the locals who go drinking on Saturday night?

If you can't take the smell of a city that actually makes something you should keep driving east (or west).

Old 01-15-2008, 12:54 PM

884 posts, read 1,033,150 times
Omaha has a Kellog's plant and it smells pretty damn good if you ask me. Some days it smells like s*it for some reason though...almost like they are over cooking the stuff.

I agree having an industrial downtown isn't very attractive for private invesment. If I was planning to locate my business I would definitely take into account whether the downtown is old, dingy and stinky.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:04 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
You can't be serious? Relocate the largest cereal mill in the country so that the stinky smells dont offend the locals who go drinking on Saturday night?

If you can't take the smell of a city that actually makes something you should keep driving east (or west).
What are you talking about??? The question was asked (not by you BTW) why downtown redevelopment was lacking in CR and I threw out a possible reason. Where did I say anything about relocating "the largest cereal mill"??

Old 01-15-2008, 07:51 PM

296 posts, read 1,283,392 times
I thought the article in the Gazette today about focusing on the downtown riverfront was positive. It's something that actually could be done as well as something that should be done. How we can get that going when we can't afford to keep the library open (let alone fix the building it in so it doesn't leak all the time) is something else again.

The city manager said that we have less income than other cities of the same size throughout the country. <jumping up and down and shouting> I still want to know exactly why that is, how much money THEY have, and how they spend it compared to how we spend ours! <calming down> Is that so much to ask? If other cities are moving forward and we're not, I'd like to identify the differences.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:01 PM

196 posts, read 776,438 times
One thing they could cut out is that police helicopter that flies around 24/7. I was there a few years ago and couldn't believe it. I've lived in cities 10X as big as CR and they didn't have a police chopper flying around all day and night. Talk about a waste of $$. I can't believe people would put up with that.

Old 01-15-2008, 08:46 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,414,612 times
The gross industry downtown is a big killer i'll agree. It makes a lot of non-locals considering that area run the other way and go to Des Moines instead... oh yep, like me

Old 01-16-2008, 06:31 AM

296 posts, read 1,283,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMGuy View Post
One thing they could cut out is that police helicopter that flies around 24/7. I was there a few years ago and couldn't believe it. I've lived in cities 10X as big as CR and they didn't have a police chopper flying around all day and night. Talk about a waste of $$. I can't believe people would put up with that.
The police department helicopters were eliminated in 2006.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:43 AM

1,744 posts, read 7,258,342 times
Cedar Rapids had a ghetto bird? Strange.

Speaking of the smell of industry, I like the Tone's spices plant in Ankeny. It smells lovely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa