Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 10:14 PM

219 posts, read 455,227 times

Advertisements

Is CR/IC about to bump DSM out of the fastest growing part of the state this year? Des Moines has been holding this title for years but from what I've seen from the data releases about to come out from the Census Bureau the positions may actually swap. Either way more growth for Iowa, no matter what corner of the state it is, benefits all of Iowa!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2015, 10:37 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,752,654 times
If it does, the Des Moines fans won't be able to accept it. They'll probably come up with data showing you're incorrect and that Des Moines is poised to be NY/LA/Chicago before Cedar Rapids catches up to Des Moines.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:08 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,250,378 times
I don't have a year-to-year chart to go by, but according to the Wikipedia US MSA page, Des Moines has grown by 5% from 2010-2013. Cedar Rapids has grown by less than two percent in that time span, and Iowa City's growth is comparable to Des Moines'. Cedar Rapids and Iowa City, at least right now, are separate MSAs, but are part of the same Combined Statistical Area.

So basically, no, as a whole, it's not growing faster than DSM, because Cedar Rapids' growth is holding the CR-IC corridor back.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:44 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,693,993 times
Fezzador's statement reflects exactly what I've seen recently.
The Des Moines & Iowa City metros were the clear growth leaders through those latest estimates that i saw.
If there is newer data that you've seen Cincy, share it if you are able to as I enjoy crunching it.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:17 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
The Des Moines & Iowa City metros were the clear growth leaders through those latest estimates that i saw.
If there is newer data that you've seen Cincy, share it if you are able to as I enjoy crunching it.
When's the last time the state growth wasn't lead by Iowa City or Des Moines? 1970's?

In the 80's Iowa City was the only place to grow for the most part since the farm crisis which spread into the farm manufacturing industry and caused huge issues for the state government just GUTTED Iowa as a whole.

The state only started to recover in the 1990's really. Des Moines and Iowa City lead the pack, with Cedar Rapids following nicely. Quad Cities, Waterloo, Dubuque and Sioux City were fairly flat but growing slow. Ames did ok.

In the 2000's Cedar Rapids slowed down a bit, and it was once again Iowa City and Des Moines leading the pack. Once again, Dubuque was fairly slow, with Sioux City and Waterloo/Quad Cities not doing a whole lot of anything - although not shrinking.

Same goes for now......

Ames just kinda gets shoved in there around Cedar Rapids.

Old 02-27-2015, 02:39 PM

Ames has been picking up some steam since the new millennium began. It was hovering from 45-50K for the last quarter of the 20th century, but has grown by over 20% since. Part of it is, I think, ISU is getting bigger every year, and another part of it is that it's riding the DSM metro's coattails... it's now only 15 minutes from Ankeny and the gap is narrowing every year. I fully expect Story County to be an official part of the DSM metro sometime in my lifetime, possibly as early as 2030.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:36 PM

389 posts, read 670,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieJonez View Post
If it does, the Des Moines fans won't be able to accept it. They'll probably come up with data showing you're incorrect and that Des Moines is poised to be NY/LA/Chicago before Cedar Rapids catches up to Des Moines.
They'll probably just fall back on their old tricks of having a "Skyline-Off" and Cedar Rapids will lose that competition. The Alliant Energy Building is only half as tall as 801 Grand!!! Game over.

It gets tricky comparing Iowa City and Cedar Rapids together, since they are technically classified as separate metro areas. Granted, you could start comparing CSA growth, and that would be an apples-to-apples scenario.

Speaking of CSAs, if the Quad Cities doesn't get its act together, very soon CR-IC will be passing them up for third place in the state. Omaha looks untouchable for decades at #1, Des Moines is a solid #2 (in so many ways), while the Quad Cities is likely to drop out of the #3 spot by 2030.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:47 AM

I don't think many people count Omaha as an Iowa CSA... 85% of it is in Nebraska. At least the QC area is roughly 50-50.

And I don't think you can really consider the CR-IC corridor's growth on par with DSM's, because Cedar Rapids' growth is bogging the whole CSA down, and is still significantly larger than the IC portion.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:43 PM

389 posts, read 670,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
I don't think many people count Omaha as an Iowa CSA... 85% of it is in Nebraska. At least the QC area is roughly 50-50.
Omaha is a half-mile from Council Bluffs. An overwhelming number of people in CB work and shop in Omaha, so that area drives a good portion of the western Iowa economy. To separate Omaha economically and statistically from its component region (which includes a great deal of western Iowa) misses the broader reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
And I don't think you can really consider the CR-IC corridor's growth on par with DSM's, because Cedar Rapids' growth is bogging the whole CSA down, and is still significantly larger than the IC portion.
Iowa City and Cedar Rapids each benefit from the other's presence. They are economically intertwined to nearly the same degree as Waterloo-Cedar Falls or Davenport-Bettendorf. One city might be growing faster than the other, but both cities are adding to the overall growth a distinguishable unified market. North Liberty isn't growing rapidly just because of its close proximity to Iowa City. It is also getting plenty of help from Cedar Rapids, which is just as close.

Also, I'd argue that the IC-CR economy is actually more diversified than Des Moines' economy. There seems to be a wider array of business, industry, and education in IC-CR as compared to Des Moines, which is tilts heavily towards insurance/finance and government.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:58 PM

219 posts, read 455,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Can't will be available within' the next few day to weeks, I will say that Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, and the Quad Cities have a huge gain compared to last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa