Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 05:12 PM

525 posts, read 815,526 times

Advertisements

I googled "homophobia cedar rapids". There is one article that picked up on pink locker room at University of Iowa that is used by guys to shame other guys. Although UI is in Iowa City, not Cedar rapids which is 20 minutes away which is supposed to be more liberal.

There also comes up some private blog from a guy whose story is not very clear and comprehensible but from the story it seems he met a friend from Cedar Rapids who turned on him when he came out. Is it really bad there?

Last edited by kyle242; 03-10-2015 at 06:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 06:06 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,193,525 times
From my gay friends/coworkers, it doesn't seem to be much of an issue. When I moved to Cedar Rapids 20 years ago, our neighborhood was comprised of mostly young families ... a mix of evangelical Christians, southern Baptists, atheists, and mainstream religions. We had a gay couple living in the neighborhood. No one seemed to care. I never heard anything negative and there were a lot of neighborhood get togethers. One of my kids had a gay teacher in elementary school. Didn't seem to be an issue either that I know of. However, there will always be some idiots no matter where you go. As far as the UI locker rooms, I don't know much about the story behind it, but did hear some wanted to get rid of them at one point when the stadium got a makeover a few years ago.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:05 PM

659 posts, read 1,101,819 times
The explanation I was given when I first learned about the pink locker room was that pink is supposedly a calming color, the idea being that after spending some time in there the visiting teams will play less aggressively. No idea if that's true or not, but I never heard anything about homophobia or shaming until fairly recently. That argument always seemed to me like a product of too much idle time, as though there aren't any issues out there that have actual measurable impact on gay people's lives.

As for CR, I haven't been there in many years, but a lot of my family is from the area. It always struck me as a live and let live kind of place, like most any town of decent size in Iowa. Like rigizug said, there will always be some idiots wherever you go.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:10 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
I'm pretty sure you'll find homophobia in San Francisco if you look hard enough.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:28 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,608,601 times
Link to article that says the pink locker room is 'used to shame other guys'?

The pink visiting locker rooms at Kinnick are very well known throughout college football, and the poster above is correct, pink is thought to have a calming effect.

Old 03-11-2015, 01:28 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,696,375 times
Stavemaster is absolutely spot on about the pink locker room which is the color of the walls in the visitor's locker room at Kinnick Stadium @ the Uof I. Former head football coach Hayden Fry had the locker room painted pink for the reasons Stavemaster mentioned as in a clever use of psychology on the visiting football team.
The pink locker room is actually a well-known factoid about Big Ten football & it's traditions & is part of the legend & lore of that conference.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:57 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,349,064 times
They are walls. They are painted pink.

Nothing to see hear folks. Move along.

Old 03-12-2015, 07:57 AM

1,485 posts, read 2,251,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Stavemaster is absolutely spot on about the pink locker room which is the color of the walls in the visitor's locker room at Kinnick Stadium @ the Uof I. Former head football coach Hayden Fry had the locker room painted pink for the reasons Stavemaster mentioned as in a clever use of psychology on the visiting football team.
The pink locker room is actually a well-known factoid about Big Ten football & it's traditions & is part of the legend & lore of that conference.
It worked for a while, but I don't think Kinnick has that same intimidation factor anymore. Maybe it's the way they renovated the stadium (including moving the student section... when something works, you don't really want to mess with it), and part of it probably has to do with the fact that the quality of the teams being fielded these days aren't as good as they were a decade ago.

Old 03-31-2015, 04:22 PM

12 posts, read 12,244 times
Unfortunately, homophobia is everywhere. Even more open-minded areas like Iowa.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:56 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,191,557 times
The walls were pink because it was a calming color, as everyone else said. It had nothing to do with gays or shaming or anything like that. Jeez.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of: