Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 07:24 AM

3 posts, read 16,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGirl8 View Post
I've been reading many of these posts, and from what I've gathered, the best places to live would be Cedar Falls, Janesville, or Waverly.
Why not live in Waterloo?

I do, and I only have to wear my bullet proof vest after 8:00 PM!

Waterloo is my town, and it has flavor!

Seriously, if you work here, than why not live here too? I have lived here (and in Cedar Falls as well) for most of my life. I admit, there are parts of Waterloo that I wouldn't live in, but it's unfair to discount an entire city. Waterloo and Cedar Falls run directly into each other. If you haven't lived here that long, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Cedar Falls has the quaint downtown, but Waterloo is just a short drive away. You can save a lot of money by living in Waterloo. The housing prices are lower, the rental properties cost less, and the big scary boogie man isn't going to getcha (I promise).

If you're interested in some good neighborhoods in Waterloo, just PM me, and I will give you the real dirt. I'll be honest.

Stay away from Janesville. Wanna see run down? Janeville is much more shabby than Waterloo. It has one gas station, no grocery store, or any other amenities. If you want to take advantage of the entertainment options in Cedar Falls, Waterloo is a much closer drive (again, they run right into each other). Waverly is just to far away, although it's a very lovely town. Why drive 15 miles to work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 07:56 PM

337 posts, read 1,528,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaga6846 View Post
Why not live in Waterloo?

I do, and I only have to wear my bullet proof vest after 8:00 PM!

Waterloo is my town, and it has flavor!

Seriously, if you work here, than why not live here too? I have lived here (and in Cedar Falls as well) for most of my life. I admit, there are parts of Waterloo that I wouldn't live in, but it's unfair to discount an entire city. Waterloo and Cedar Falls run directly into each other. If you haven't lived here that long, you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Cedar Falls has the quaint downtown, but Waterloo is just a short drive away. You can save a lot of money by living in Waterloo. The housing prices are lower, the rental properties cost less, and the big scary boogie man isn't going to getcha (I promise).

If you're interested in some good neighborhoods in Waterloo, just PM me, and I will give you the real dirt. I'll be honest.

Stay away from Janesville. Wanna see run down? Janeville is much more shabby than Waterloo. It has one gas station, no grocery store, or any other amenities. If you want to take advantage of the entertainment options in Cedar Falls, Waterloo is a much closer drive (again, they run right into each other). Waverly is just to far away, although it's a very lovely town. Why drive 15 miles to work?
I agree with some of the stuff you're saying, but then disagree with other stuff.

A good reason not to live in Waterloo is schools.

And Janesville is run down in a much different way - it's "small town run-down" because small towns don't have a lot of money. Waterloo is just run down because there aren't enough residents that care and the economy went down the toilet in the 80's. Waterloo is run down with crime, Janesville is rundown but has young families walking with strollers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa