Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 08:45 PM

196 posts, read 776,438 times

Advertisements

I was in downtown Omaha and was trying to find I80 and somehow took a wrong turn and ended up in a seedy part of Council Bluffs. I was not impressed. That will probably change with Google and the spillover growth from Omaha, but I was much more impressed with Omaha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 09:14 PM

1,744 posts, read 7,258,342 times
There's a good record store in downtown Council Bluffs, but I forgot what it was called.

I haven't been out in a while, but I used to go to the Omaha area a couple times a year to go to the record stores. Antiquarium (probably the coolest store ever), Drastic Plastic, Homer's, Dirt Cheap and that one in Council Bluffs. I need to do that again sometime soon, always a great way to spend the afternoon, flipping through records in Omaha.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:44 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,728 times
Council Bluffs does not seem as attractive as Omaha west of 72nd Street, but I think that the city has potential and I have noticed improvement in the past five years of driving through. It would be nice to see 29 and 80 get fixed. I do not like how the 29 North and 80 interchange is configured and despise it when going to Kansas City from South Dakota.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:09 AM

884 posts, read 1,033,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
Council Bluffs does not seem as attractive as Omaha west of 72nd Street, but I think that the city has potential and I have noticed improvement in the past five years of driving through. It would be nice to see 29 and 80 get fixed. I do not like how the 29 North and 80 interchange is configured and despise it when going to Kansas City from South Dakota.
They are currently or will be soon adding lanes and bypasses to correct some of that.

Old 01-18-2008, 06:47 AM

336 posts, read 574,795 times
I have been in seedy areas of Des Moines, Omaha , etc. That does not make the whole town seedy. Give us a break and please visit the whole town before you make a judgement!!!!

Old 01-18-2008, 12:31 PM

196 posts, read 776,438 times
I didn't say the whole town was like that, but it totally took me by surprise as I just passed Qwest Center and all the cool stuff in DT O, and was immediately in a pretty rough area of CB.

Old 01-18-2008, 05:09 PM

1,949 posts, read 5,981,722 times
Back to me, the OP. How about living in Omaha and commuting to Council Bluffs. Is that feasible? I know the taxes seem to be higher in Omaha. Your thoughts?

Old 01-18-2008, 06:45 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,414,612 times
I think the reason you ended up in a seedy area of Council Bluffs immidiately is because downtown Council Bluffs isn't right on the river, you have to go inland a little bit before you reach the commercial district with the Mid-America Center and what-not. Could be wrong there...

Personally, I think Council Bluffs is a really good alternative for those who live in/are moving to Omaha but don't want to actually live in Omaha. It's cool because the Eastern side of the city is in the Loess Hills... nice and scenic.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:27 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,728 times
I think that Council Bluffs is underrated due to the growth that West Omaha is experiencing. I think that over time, Council Bluffs will hold its own and grow. An advantage that I see is that the commute from Council Bluffs to a job in downtown/central Omaha would be much shorter than driving in West Omaha (in the 168th and Dodge area or the like).

It will be nice to see the improvements being made to the interstates in Council Bluffs. I am not a fan of the older infrastructure (which is not set up for the traffic that is on there in the current age and would have been fine in the 1960s). Getting onto 80 from 29 either going north or south, I sometimes grit my teeth, due to it being hard at times to merge with traffic. The improvements will make driving through the area more enjoyable and easier.

Sometime, when I am in the Omaha area, I will have to see more of Council Bluffs. Usually, I go through Council Bluffs when I am in a hurry to get somewhere else. Every city has its good and bad.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:15 PM

12 posts, read 30,218 times
Smile Could be a good town.

My fiancee and I just moved to CB about a year ago. It looks a bit different after you lived here for awhile. It is overshadowed by Omaha, and it sounds like a lot of people in CB don't care for Omaha. But then again, I've heard a lot of people in Omaha not care for people in CB. Also, CB could do a lot better in keeping the city cleaner.

We moved from a small town to here (we've also lived in Iowa City) We moved to get away from rednecks and ignorant people. We wanted art and social culture...we didn't find much at all. We found that there are a lot of wonderful, smart people here, but there is a large redneck population.

I really don't want to step on any toes, we are hippie types and rednecks tend to really not like us. There is a lot of white trash here too, but we grew up around that, so we are kind of used to that. There doesn't seem to be much of a housing market here, and rent for apartments seems high. It is also hard to find a place to live if you have pets as well.

Overall, we have decided to move from here, but this town could really be a great fit for some people. Seems like a lot of people are really happy here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa