U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 01:25 PM

3,613 posts, read 3,328,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
I would have to agree with the poster that said Illinois minus Chicago, both states are 55K square miles in area, somewhat similar in topography, similar people, both more blue than red on the political map, with similar agriculture products ect ect.

However, since Missouri was mentioned, I have another state to throw in the mix. I think Iowa and Mississippi have some similarities, both states share a long border with the Mississippi river, both states have the same population in number, 3 million. Agriculture plays an important economic role in both states, and both are more rural than urban in nature. Both states have or have had issues with poverty and low wages in the past, with boom and bust cycles. Both states have been reluctant to elect women to higher office.

Des Moines proper without suburbs is similar in population size to Jackson, but not on economic par with each other (17 Burger King's for DSM metro area, only 12 for Jackson). However, we have the means within Iowa to build a city like Jackson, by combining Waterloo, Marshalltown, Ft Dodge, Counsil Bluffs and Ottumwa into a critical mass of Dixie living somewhat on par with Jackson. Both states lack pro sports teams and love college football. Both states have plenty of tornados, both states have occasional flooding problems and have similar influences from from the Gulf of Mexico, resulting in hot humid summers for both states.
Big difference between Iowa and Mississippi however, Mississippi ranks last in pretty much every educational category there is where as Iowa is generally 2nd or 1st.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 01:50 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,592,840 times
I guess Missouri north of I-70 is pretty similar to Iowa. Southern Missouri, definitely more similar to Arkansas or some portions of Kentucky and Oklahoma.

I always envisioned Nebraska being the most similar to Iowa, and Omaha sits right on the border between the two states. However, I could be wrong. I've only been to both states once. They also seem to share the corn aspect, the "Cornhuskers" in Nebraska.

Last edited by JayJayCB; 05-07-2015 at 02:06 PM..

Old 05-07-2015, 02:10 PM

1,281 posts, read 1,623,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Big difference between Iowa and Mississippi however, Mississippi ranks last in pretty much every educational category there is where as Iowa is generally 2nd or 1st.
Iowa is top 5 in literacy. Big difference between literacy and quality of education or education attainment. MS is still dead last in those areas (or at least very close to it), Iowa is probably closer to 20th.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
That's actually true, and they're both very flat. Only difference, Mississippi is heavily wooded outside the Delta while Iowa isn't very wooded at all. Politically, I guess Mississippi would be much more conservative, though.
Mississippi is flatter than Iowa. Iowa does have some pretty large swaths of flatness, but there's a fair bit of hilliness (and even ruggedness) that much of Mississippi doesn't have.

And historically, Iowa was far more heavily forested. Beginning in the mid-late 19th century, lots of forestland was cut down to make way for farm land. There's probably less than 1/5th the amount of trees today than there was over a century ago.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Ranches and farming are economic variables. Missouri simply does not have a large amount of acreage in corn and soybeans relative to Iowa. Missouri just has far more variability in terms of soils, topography, climate, etc. Rural Missouri in terms of economics, ancestry, religion, has a bit more in common with Kentucky than Iowa.
Yep. Iowa doesn't have the iron-rich soil (you know, the reddish-looking stuff) that's common in a good portion of Missouri.

They both have plenty of flat stretches, but there's a whole lot more to each state than what you find off I-80 or I-35. And in the case of Iowa (can't speak for Missouri since I haven't really been off the beaten path there), the interstates cut through some of the least-scenic parts of the state.

Old 05-07-2015, 02:39 PM

3,613 posts, read 3,328,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
Iowa is top 5 in literacy. Big difference between literacy and quality of education or education attainment. MS is still dead last in those areas (or at least very close to it), Iowa is probably closer to 20th.
Iowa ranks 1 or 2 in Graduation rate, ACT scores, etc. The schools are doing their jobs educating the next generation.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Iowa ranks 1 or 2 in Graduation rate, ACT scores, etc. The schools are doing their jobs educating the next generation.
When it comes to college graduates, it ranks a far less impressive 35th.

And according to EdWeek.org, Iowa ranks 24th in overall educational quality.

So while Iowa continues to churn out high school graduates at a far higher-than-average rate, there is some concern about the quality of education the kids are receiving and what they're doing with the knowledge they've obtained.

Old 05-12-2015, 11:09 AM

332 posts, read 324,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
What would you say?
Northern Iowa is most like Minnesota.

Eastern Iowa is most like Illinois

Southern Iowa is most like Missouri

Old 05-12-2015, 11:44 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,846,640 times
Quote:
The schools are doing their job to some extent but this has much to do about parenting/family background as well.

Old 11-05-2015, 09:20 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,592,840 times
Would it be safe to say Iowa is practically Minnesota with plainer accents and more agriculture?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or