U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 10:49 PM

6,151 posts, read 5,771,451 times

Advertisements

No. See post # 28. It is accurate, IMHO.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 08:36 AM

11,288 posts, read 23,420,487 times
Iowa is similar to the northern sections of Illinois, but after living here for 14 years I realize how vastly different areas of Illinois are south of around I-74.

Quite conservative, fairly poor, high unemployment and failing industrial towns. People downstate cry how they're carrying the Chicago area, but I don't think they realize just how opposite reality actually is...

Iowa also has far more hills than Illinois, at least the eastern parts of Iowa.

I would say people wise it's most like Wisconsin. Geography maybe parts of Minnesota or actually the southern half of Michigan.

Old 11-06-2015, 06:17 PM

5,318 posts, read 3,817,614 times
Northern Missouri and Iowa are very similar. Nebraska reminds me more of Kansas than Iowa.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:56 PM

21,724 posts, read 38,127,822 times
Culturally, northern Iowa is very similar to southern agrarian parts of Minnesota. A very high percentage of the populace with German ancestry, very "neat and tidy" towns, reserved yet polite populace, and more friendly to co-op community energy plans as well as heavily invested in wind energy.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:18 AM

8,280 posts, read 10,221,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Northern Missouri and Iowa are very similar. Nebraska reminds me more of Kansas than Iowa.
Eastern NE is much like Iowa, though, with the Corn Belt. Nebraska's similarities with Kansas start further west..

I would say that Iowa most resembles northern IL, without the presence of Chicago, though..

Old 11-08-2015, 12:42 PM

338 posts, read 268,476 times
Nobody has mentioned Indiana. I spent about five years living there. It's more conservative politically, of course, and it does have a bit of southern/Kentucky influence, but it's still similar. I think it's just as much like Iowa as Missouri (and with less spoken accent). Overall, I feel like Iowa has the most in common with Minnesota and Illinois.

Old 11-08-2015, 01:28 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,596,104 times
How about Iowa and Nebraska? Both states definitely hold the corn aspect.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:30 AM

317 posts, read 335,763 times
This feels like a tough comparison to make, because Iowa itself is a relatively large state, and certainly not uniform.

In my experience, Southeast Iowa, Central Iowa (particularly Des Moines), and Northeastern Iowa, for example, are three completely different areas, making it difficult to find another state that offers something similar. These various parts of Iowa, however, seem to have more in common with the immediate states that they border.

Southeastern Iowa is very similar to west/central IL or northern MO, Northeastern Iowa is very much like parts of Wisconsin or southern MN, and Des Moines is very comparable to other large but geographically isolated big cities, like Omaha.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:38 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,398,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Nebraska and Eastern Iowa aren't similar at all, IMO. Eastern Iowa has rolling hills (some tend to be steep and rocky), greenery, woods, and bluffs. Nebraska is pretty much flat from what I've seen from driving through the state.

Old 11-10-2015, 10:13 AM

8,280 posts, read 10,221,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
They do, but western NE is more wheat/cattle country, and thus more similar to the majority of Kansas. Iowa does have similarities with southern MN, western WI, and northern IL ( without Chicago).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or