U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 10:33 AM

1,196 posts, read 1,576,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
He's still a well known person and avid bike rider who enjoyed the event. I dont hold his opinion lower just because he used steroids.

Anyone who knows anything about the varied terrain of the state of Iowa knows that's not an easy bike ride.
Many, if not most, professional athletes cheat. It's already been an epidemic in baseball and cycling. And I guarantee that high-profile football and basketball players dope too, but they simply haven't been caught yet. Roger Goodell is an extremely wishy-washy commish who can't seem to consistently appropriately punish players, coaches, and owners for their misdeeds.

If high-profile NFL players would ever get caught with steroids and HGH (and I guarantee they do it), it would kill business just as MLB is suffering right now. It's no coincidence that pitchers are starting to regain the upper hand like they did in the 1960s, and you no longer need to hit 55 home runs to lead your league each season. Although NFL defenses can be nasty, it's still an offensive-oriented league highlighted by tons and tons of passing. If you take out the doping, the defenses could regain the edge and offenses may go back to the old-fashioned ground-and-pound.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2015, 11:41 PM

4 posts, read 7,344 times
Sorry for delay in my response. Juice Malone and Meemur, thanks a lot for all the information. Really appreciate it. Jucie malone, you mentioned to pick a place that has access to Ames and Des moines, any suggestions? I will look into that too. Thanks again!!

Old 06-03-2015, 07:21 AM

1,196 posts, read 1,576,836 times
Ankeny is one of DSM's northern suburbs. It's roughly the same size as Ames, at around 50K, but it's the epitome of suburbia - strip malls, restaurant chains, cookie-cutter houses, you get the idea. It's a good, safe place to live, and it's also approximately halfway to Ames and downtown Des Moines (about 20 minutes each way if traffic is fairly cooperative).

IMHO Ames isn't the funnest college town. Other than ISU it doesn't have a ton going for it, but being so close to Des Moines is simultaneously a blessing and a curse (Iowa City, on the other hand, is widely viewed as one of the funnest college towns in the country) Its biggest asset is that it's close to Des Moines, but that's about it. It used to host some fairly big acts at Hilton Coliseum, but most concerts have begun performing at Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines.

If I were you, I'd seriously consider the northern suburbs of Des Moines - the aforementioned Ankeny, or perhaps Johnston (those two 'burbs give you the quickest access to I-35). By themselves they don't offer anything Ames doesn't, but you're also tons closer to Des Moines (the night life still isn't great, but it's the best in the state, if you don't count Iowa City during the school year) and West Des Moines (most of your big-name stores and restaurants are here).

Old 06-03-2015, 06:10 PM

5,105 posts, read 6,637,967 times
The only problem with living in Ankeny and commuting is the winters! They do shut down I-35, the freeway between Des Moines and Ames during some storms, and that happened for a day last winter. I wish I could post the photos: it was pretty bad.

OP, Longer term, you might want to live around Ankeny. It is nice and centrally located as Fez explained in his great post, but I would recommend starting out in or very close to Ames until you master winter driving and get your bearings.

Old 06-03-2015, 06:13 PM

35,107 posts, read 42,871,944 times
Personally I think Ames would be just fine since the University is there with lots of students so the night life should be fine.
If you enjoying biking it is a good place to do so from what I understand and when it is "Game Day" between Iowa State University and the University of Iowa out of Iowa City it is absolute organized chaos but lots of fun to participate.

Old 06-04-2015, 09:10 AM

Sorry for delay in my response. Thank you very much Juice Malone and Meemur for the information about Ames. I really appreciate it. Juice Malone, you mentioned that you "strongly consider living somewhere where you can access both Ames and Des Moines to maximize quality of life". Do you have any suggestions about any place/s that i can look for? I appreciate it.

Old 06-04-2015, 02:10 PM

oops, i didnt see the messages in this second page, thats why the repost above and thats dumb of me..LOL, thanks for all the information everyone, i will start looking at my options, start checking place one more time as soon as i receive the offer

Old 07-03-2015, 01:36 PM

221 posts, read 259,818 times
I reccomend Ankeny because not only can you access Des Moines and ames easily, but you can also get to west Des Moines quickly too. West des moines is the only place in this region that will have any similarities to FL. Big mall about twice the size of town center mall in Boca Raton and more of the dining options you associate with more well developed places like pf changs, Cheesecake Factory, etc. Might not sound like a big deal but you will miss the most basic of food options and shopping that you take for granted in FL.

Btw allegiant airline flies direct to FL out of Des Moines and best to fly using southwest out of KC for everything else.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:05 PM

9,243 posts, read 17,629,648 times
Eat at Hickory Park frequently.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:53 AM

3,492 posts, read 5,223,346 times
GL Kenval. There are some beautiful Iowa girls for you to date. Just be warned that their family may live there and they may refuse to move away from their family so you may be forced to choose between the relationship and being able to move for the next career upgrade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa