U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 12:38 PM

19,784 posts, read 24,949,648 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I have been invited to visit Nordic Fest. I am interested since I have some Scandinavian heritage and I am interested in all things Scandinavian.

I'd be meeting a college friend there.

Has anyone been there? Is it worth the trip? Very crowded? Lot's of fun?

Where would you suggest that we stay?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

PS - I hope that this is the right Iowa board. It's in Decorah. I will be traveling from the Cleveland area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2015, 03:46 PM

1,704 posts, read 2,908,307 times
I've been to Nordic Fest many times and I'm going again this year. I went to college in Decorah, so Nordic Fest is very close to my heart. It's absolutely worth the trip. You'll love it and you'll fall in love with the area too.

Decorah is only 8k people so there aren't a lot of hotels right there. If you can find a room in town, grab it now. If you can't, the first surrounding towns to look at would be Cresco, Waukon, and New Hampton. You can also reserve a dorm at the college for pretty cheap if you don't mind sharing a bathroom.

This might be obvious, but most people fly in to MSP and then take Hwy 52 straight down to Decorah. If you can find a good flight to Rochester or Cedar Rapids, that's a shorter drive.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:57 PM

My friend says that there are rooms at Luther College. However, she wants us all to stay at a cabin near the festival.

It sleeps 12 at $200 per night.

Not bad.

I have a feeling that I should book a flight. The drive could be interesting, but possibly arduous and expensive.

What do you think? Drive or fly?

Now I an SURE THAT I WANT TO GO!!!!

Old 05-31-2015, 07:19 AM

1,704 posts, read 2,908,307 times
It's a very long drive from Cleveland! Decorah is basically in the middle of nowhere, so it's still 5-6 hours away once you get to Chicago. The scenery doesn't start getting really beautiful until the last 3 hours or so, past Madison.

If you can coordinate the ground transportation, I would recommend flying. Closest airports...

Rochester - 1.5 hours
La Crosse - 1.5 hours
Cedar Rapids - 2 hours
Minneapolis - 2.5 hours (or 3.5 if you're unlucky enough to hit rush hour on the Crosstown)
Davenport - 3 hours
Madison - 3 hours
Des Moines - 3.5 hours

Old 05-31-2015, 09:01 AM

5,105 posts, read 6,637,967 times
I'd look at the costs of driving vs. flying. Fights are expensive.

Cleveland to Decorah is about an 11 hour drive, up I-90 (if no construction traffic). If you take a friend and split the driving, it's not bad.

I can drive from Des Moines to Columbus (OH) in about 10 hours if I don't get hung up in construction.

Old 05-31-2015, 12:58 PM

6,056 posts, read 5,651,486 times
Or if you want to make a fun trip of it, take Amtrak from Cleveland to Chicago, then Chicago to LaCrosse. Then have one of your friends pick you up at the station there - it's only a little over an hour away from Decorah. You could take the fast way (44) back but why not take the time for a fun road trip and drive down along the Mississippi River through our beautiful countryside?

If not Amtrak, then drive (and make sure you get off the interstates at Rockford and do 20 to Dubuque -stopping in Galena- then 52 to Guttenburg, then up the River Road to McGregor, then 76 to 9.)

Never fly if you want to really have a great trip!

Old 05-31-2015, 02:11 PM

I fly when I want to get there and the destination is more important that the trip. I get tempted on road trips to stop and explore. Which is fine when one has unlimited time and money.

I'd be going with my husband. So we could split the driving.

He also gets distracted and wants to stop places. I think with a drive that long, we would stay over one if not two nights at motels.

This is where flying becomes tempting.

What airport would be best? Amtrack also sounds like an interesting option.

Old 05-31-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
It's a very long drive from Cleveland! Decorah is basically in the middle of nowhere, so it's still 5-6 hours away once you get to Chicago. The scenery doesn't start getting really beautiful until the last 3 hours or so, past Madison.

If you can coordinate the ground transportation, I would recommend flying. Closest airports...

Rochester - 1.5 hours
La Crosse - 1.5 hours
Cedar Rapids - 2 hours
Minneapolis - 2.5 hours (or 3.5 if you're unlucky enough to hit rush hour on the Crosstown)
Davenport - 3 hours
Madison - 3 hours
Des Moines - 3.5 hours

Thanks!

Old 05-31-2015, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Or if you want to make a fun trip of it, take Amtrak from Cleveland to Chicago, then Chicago to LaCrosse. Then have one of your friends pick you up at the station there - it's only a little over an hour away from Decorah. You could take the fast way (44) back but why not take the time for a fun road trip and drive down along the Mississippi River through our beautiful countryside?

If not Amtrak, then drive (and make sure you get off the interstates at Rockford and do 20 to Dubuque -stopping in Galena- then 52 to Guttenburg, then up the River Road to McGregor, then 76 to 9.)

Never fly if you want to really have a great trip!

601halfdozenOtheother - Thank you for looking that up for me! That is very reasonable! The Amtrak rates, I mean.

So, flying seems like a bad idea because we'd have no direct - or even near direct flights.

So what think you, fellow Nordics - drive or Amtrak at $210 per person round trip?

We are staying with my friend at the cabin.

Are things at the fair pricey?

Also, anyone up for a meetup? First shots on us.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:31 PM

2,529 posts, read 1,711,873 times
I love Nordic Fest! I also went to college in Decorah It's been years since I've been there, although I'm going to Scandinavian Days this weekend, several hours SW of Decorah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or