U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 10:30 AM

9,400 posts, read 10,235,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
Some would say you get what you pay for, in that comparison especially.

Not at all. It shows that those in Iowa are getting ripped off! I'd much rather get more for my money, and AZ definitely delivers that.

Old 06-12-2015, 09:26 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,815,162 times
Related the OP's question:

Quote:
Taking a city's cost of living into consideration is crucial when job hunting, as $50,000 in some places has as much purchasing power as $100,000 in more costly places.

For instance, the median value of homes in Seattle is $433,800. That compares to $176,700 nationally and $118,200 in Des Moines, Iowa, which ranked second overall in the WalletHub list.

With a population roughly a third the size of Seattle's 652,000 people, Des Moines boasts an annual job-growth rate that ranks among the fastest in the country, at 2.73 percent.
Read more: Go West, Jobseekers: Study Names Top 10 U.S. Cities to Land Work - NBC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 07:18 PM

764 posts, read 500,785 times
My apartment lease end this December and believe me, it is so tempting to wanna pack everything and just say the heck with it and move for a better career. There's no where here in Florida that would get these kind of replies. I just wonder how hard it would be to find work in Iowa. Here in Floriduh, you spend countless hours applying and don't even get a phone call. I wonder if there's any way to line up a job before moving. That's the hard part.

Old 06-12-2015, 11:09 PM

6,060 posts, read 5,654,391 times
Iowa Workforce Development's IowaJobs - Iowa's Largest Job Bank

https://das.iowa.gov/human-resources/state-employment/

Old 06-14-2015, 08:19 AM

3,492 posts, read 5,224,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadCityImages View Post
Some would say you get what you pay for, in that comparison especially.
I would go with the precise opposite. I've found taxes in Colorado were much lower and there was no decrease in what I was getting for my tax dollars. The high taxes in Iowa were largely spent on things that offered very little benefit to me. I have a gorgeous house out here, but the property taxes on a similar house in Iowa City would have been a train wreck because the house would have cost 30% more and the taxes would run around 2% instead of .6%. The resulting difference would have been several thousand in property taxes. With the money I save, I can easily buy anything I'm missing. In an astounding twist of fate, the library system out here is actually better despite much lower taxes. The Southwest is ideal for lower taxes and reasonable home prices. (Note Southwest does not include California which is known simply as "California")

Colorado, Arizona, and New Mexico offer much more compelling value packages.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:54 AM

452 posts, read 505,274 times
Quote:
It made me realize that Iowa's taxes really ARE high. (and AZ are LOW!)
AZ is a desert. The roads are easier to maintain, and there is less public landscaping to be done, it's mostly rocks. You don't have to charge as much property tax in AZ because there isn't as much to maintain like Iowa.

Old 06-14-2015, 03:22 PM

9,400 posts, read 10,235,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 909er View Post
AZ is a desert. The roads are easier to maintain, and there is less public landscaping to be done, it's mostly rocks. You don't have to charge as much property tax in AZ because there isn't as much to maintain like Iowa.
Have you been to Arizona? Public landscaping still takes work. In Phoenix there's more than just rocks and none of it is maintenance free....there's also more grass than you might imagine. It may not freeze but with over 5 million people here, the roads still need maintenance. BUT there is much more to do in terms of nature and recreation. Much better value for your money, no question.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:34 PM

318 posts, read 459,239 times
No way would I move back to Arizona! I don't care about the taxes. It was just awful for me.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:58 PM

764 posts, read 500,785 times
If you work in Downtown Des Moines, is there free parking available, or will employers provide it for you, or are there outrageous parking monopoly fees you have to pay like in big cities?

Old 06-15-2015, 07:14 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,556,956 times
There is no set standard that applies uniformly as to whether private employers reimburse or do not reimburse employee parking costs in the downtown area.
It's purely up to the choice of the individual companies as to whether parking is paid as a job perk or benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa