U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 08:52 PM
FBF FBF started this thread

606 posts, read 752,842 times

Advertisements

Why?

Is it because it is 90% white or they just do not travel outside the state much?

I am of mestizo descent (that is of mix heritage from Native Mexican and European) and yet when people look at me, they say I do not look Mexican enough.

Either because I am not brown enough (I am tanned, however) or too tall (174-175 cm). They insist I must be Indian or Arabic when I am not!

I only get this treatment here in the Midwest, in the West and East Coasts they sometimes mistake me as part East/Southeast Asian or Sephardic Jew (even though it is not a race, but an ethnicity) but they do not stare often. Even in the Deep South, I do not get stare much despite it being historically quite racist.

Details?

Old 07-26-2015, 10:53 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,821,196 times
Isn't making sweeping generalizations about all Iowans based on your anecdotal evidence essentially practicing the same type of prejudice you are accusing Iowan's of?

Old 07-27-2015, 12:54 AM

It happens often after living there for 11 years.

I did not call Arabics or Indians bad names, but I do get annoyed that my race and ethnicity are guessed wrong. They only get it once I tell them my name but they still insist I am this and this.

The Deep South as racist as it is, knows I am latino at least.

Old 07-27-2015, 05:57 AM

3,613 posts, read 3,282,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post

I did not call Arabics or Indians bad names, but I do get annoyed that my race and ethnicity are guessed wrong. They only get it once I tell them my name but they still insist I am this and this.

Seriously, you get annoyed over a guess?????

Everyone guesses my ethnicity wrong. Most people think I'm Irish, when I'm really only 1/2 Irish. Never occurred to me that it should annoy me.

Old 07-27-2015, 07:40 AM

865 posts, read 544,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post

If it bothers you that much, make up a bunch of T-shirts stating your ethnicity, then they'll know.

It sounds like you're the one with the issues, not Iowans.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:44 AM

28,699 posts, read 41,748,548 times
Some people are overly reactive to things that really shouldn't matter. Blaming people for not automatically knowing your ethnicity/race is just silly.

I like you because you're you. Not because you are of a specific ethnicity/race.

I can guarantee you that you would get mine wrong. I don't care. It's not important.

Old 07-27-2015, 11:26 AM

3,617 posts, read 3,568,561 times
Take to heart what Tek_Freek wrote @ 12:44.

I've incorrectly been told that I must be Jewish purely on the basis of my name & years ago I was told more than once that I must be a "Reagan Republican" based purely on my looks & clothing.
People make mistaken assumptions about aspects of all of us constantly. Don't let it consume or anger you if they are not intending offense. It'll be hard to miss when true offense is intended.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:15 PM

355 posts, read 900,920 times
When did we, as a people, lose our sense of humor and become so DETERMINED to be offended by every slight, real or perceived?! Years ago in conversation, I mentioned the city from which I had come. The response was "oh, you look like you are from there"! I have laughed about that for 30 years.

Old 07-27-2015, 01:46 PM

The annoyance kicks in when they still insist I must be of this origin or so "no, you must really be or part..." even when I tell them I am not! It is like they made up their mind with how they want to label me despite it being wrong.

Sometimes strangers even come up at to me and ask me the rude "What are you?"

Excuse me, Iowa? You do not ask people those questions and it is rude to stare like they are animals!

The posters here assume I lash out at people when they say that, no I do not! I only lashed out once when I told this redneck I am not Middle Eastern from a rural part of Iowa. He insulted me and thus I became irritated and no one came to my defense!

Old 07-27-2015, 01:47 PM

205 posts, read 311,286 times
Yes, it is because there is so little diversity in Iowa.

Iowans are theoretically very tolerant and open minded, but because so many Iowans have so little first-hand experience with ethnic and racial diversity, in practice they can be a little insensitive. I find more staring, and more unexamined preconceptions here than in places where folks regularly encounter more different kinds of people.

The upside is, Iowans are generally very open to being educated--they don't mean any harm when they ask "what are you" (the question that every mixed race person gets sick of hearing after about the 300th time). Odds are you're one of only a few people of color they've ever actually spoken to, so once you overcome whatever they think they know (based on TV/movies or the other Latino they talked to once), they'll accept you as an expert on the topic.

To be clear, not everyone in Iowa is like this. Some come from more diverse places, or have traveled a lot, or live in one of the pockets of diversity that exist in Iowa. But there is a fair chunk of the populace that was born and raised in a 95% white community, and hasn't ever ventured very far afield from that demographic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa