U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 03:17 AM

4 posts, read 3,457 times

Advertisements

Hello

I am 38 y/o guy, moving to Quad-cities to start school at Palmer. Looking for a quiet and friendly neighborhood, I am not into loud music or partying. I like quiet and serene environment.

Although downtown davenport is closer to school, but I heard and read that it can get really loud at night, I don't want to stay at Palmer properties for that reason. And I don't mind the drive.

I would highly appreciate any help.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 07:15 PM

4,759 posts, read 6,443,443 times
Most of the neighborhoods are pretty quiet.

House or apt?

Old 08-11-2015, 08:59 PM

427 posts, read 405,778 times
Palmer is not actually downtown; it's north of downtown on Brady in an area that is a bit sketchy. I would not live in that general area, and you probably wouldn't find an apartment there, anyway. Most Quad Citians live in houses.

I really like the Crescent Lofts, which is very close to downtown. It is a limited income building but is actually quite nice. It's less than a five minute drive to your school, and is a short drive to everything downtown Davenport and the District of Rock Island offers. I always loved crashing at my sister's Crescent Lofts apartment. Ace location.

Last edited by Cryinbaby; 08-11-2015 at 09:10 PM..

Old 08-11-2015, 09:39 PM

2,467 posts, read 3,744,072 times
How much are you looking to spend and what type of property are you looking for? The apartments immediately around Palmer should be all right in terms of noise, but it's not the nicest neighborhood.

I'm pretty partial to my neighborhood bounded by the bike path on the north, Locust on the south, Brady on the west and Eastern on the east. The housing stock is older but in much better shape than the neighborhoods immediately south on Locust. It's also pretty quiet, especially if you're on a side street. You can find some Davenport rental houses on Craigslist, but most of them will require you to drive around and look for "for rent" signs.

If you're willing to spend more to live in an apartment, Alexis at Perry Pointe is a newer complex that would make for an easy commute to Palmer. On the more economical side, my friend lived in Windsor Crest apartments a few years ago and they seemed pretty decent.

Old 08-12-2015, 10:08 AM

Thank you all for the replies. .. my budget can go up to 750$/mth... whether it's an apartment or small house, it's not a big deal.
I am looking at different websites, including Craigslist
The only issue is that I don't know the neighborhoods. Which one is good and which one is not for a student to live in. Sometimes I take a virtual tour on Google maps

Last edited by goldenhawk77; 08-12-2015 at 10:17 AM..

Old 08-12-2015, 10:45 AM

I also am wondering if anyone can give me an average estimate of both water and electricity bills.

Thank you

Old 08-14-2015, 12:56 AM

459 posts, read 343,931 times
Iowa has some great schools. I enjoyed my schooling experience in Iowa a lot. Good luck in your studies.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:13 PM

3 posts, read 5,241 times
Electricity may be anywhere from $15-50 for a 500-700sqft apartment, depending on if you have electric heat or gas. I'd say budget an estimate of ~ $60/mo. for utility bills if water, electricity, and gas are not included. May be more in peak usage months.

Old 08-16-2015, 06:39 AM

2,467 posts, read 3,744,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenhawk77 View Post
Thank you all for the replies. .. my budget can go up to 750$/mth... whether it's an apartment or small house, it's not a big deal.
I am looking at different websites, including Craigslist
The only issue is that I don't know the neighborhoods. Which one is good and which one is not for a student to live in. Sometimes I take a virtual tour on Google maps
We don't really go by specific neighborhoods that much. In general, you want to be north of Locust street, but the nicest neighborhood in the city is south of Locust and east of Jersey Ridge. I suggested my neighborhood because it's centrally located and would be easy to get to Palmer, but it would be hard to find a house for $750 a month. You'd probably have to go up to 800. Davenport and the Quad Cities in general don't have areas that are "bad" for students, unless you're living right in the middle of a bar district.

Since you're willing to drive, you have a lot of options. Regency Apartments in Bettendorf would probably be a good choice. The drive to Palmer isn't long and the one time I was there it seemed quiet. I think the units also have in-unit washer/dryer. Regency - Bettendorf, IA | Apartment Finder

I would just visit the Quad Cities if you can and explore before you lock in an apartment.

Old 08-16-2015, 12:20 PM

4,759 posts, read 6,443,443 times
There's some cheapo townhouses in downtown Bettendorf. It's a straight shot to Brady St./Palmer in Davenport.

I don't know if the townhouse complex has a name or not. Their address is on Grant St.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or