U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2015, 10:34 AM

1 posts, read 589 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

My husband and I are looking to relocate to a smaller school system for our kids and also to get a little bit of land. For some reason i'm kind of drawn to Monroe, PC area.

My big concern is for our boy who suffers from Anxiety, ODD & ADHD. He will here shortly be getting a full evaluation to see if he is on the spectrum for Autism. I'm wanting to kind of get some feed back from other moms in the area that deal with the same issues and to see how the school has helped or even if they are equipped for children like mine?

My other concern is race. My husband is Cambodian and I am White, I hear nightmares about having mixed children in a smaller town/school district. Has anyone dealt with racism in THIS small town and is there any or are we all grown ups?

Also, anyone know the land minimum to have small outdoor livestock?

Any info would help.

Thanks all,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 01:29 PM

3,631 posts, read 5,017,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athach View Post
Hey guys,

My husband and I are looking to relocate to a smaller school system for our kids and also to get a little bit of land. For some reason i'm kind of drawn to Monroe, PC area.

My big concern is for our boy who suffers from Anxiety, ODD & ADHD. He will here shortly be getting a full evaluation to see if he is on the spectrum for Autism. I'm wanting to kind of get some feed back from other moms in the area that deal with the same issues and to see how the school has helped or even if they are equipped for children like mine?

My other concern is race. My husband is Cambodian and I am White, I hear nightmares about having mixed children in a smaller town/school district. Has anyone dealt with racism in THIS small town and is there any or are we all grown ups?

Also, anyone know the land minimum to have small outdoor livestock?

Any info would help.

Thanks all,
One of my daughters live just a few miles outside of Monroe. She thinks it's a nice little town, but she does not have any kids yet, so in depth knowledge of the school environment I don't have. She shops more in Pella and Knoxville as they're larger communities, but still quite close. It's part of the PCM School District and frankly, I'd be so bold as to contact the school and get their take on your situation. Phone # 641-259-2751.

You're getting closer to Des Moines so I'm betting that the redneck attitude towards your son's situation as well as your family ethnic makeup won't be as telling as it would be farther south in Iowa. My daughter says that attitudes differ as to the locals north of "the pond" (Red Rock Lake) in comparison to south of the lake and as you get closer to Missouri.

As long as you live outside of city limits (sometimes that may mean outside of the town's outside sphere where they have any say, usually 3 miles) and not in a development that might have covenants, I'm sure that there isn't a land minimum for a small bunch of outdoor livestock. If you're concerned at all about a town having any control over what you may want to do, call their city hall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or