U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 10:12 PM

209 posts, read 1,026,302 times

Advertisements

You're Welcome, I just got carried away...

Wherever in Iowa you move, you should be happy!

With the exception of Davenport...

Weather hazards by time of the year:

Winter: Snowstorms about once a week, an occasional ice storm, brutal cold, random snow melting can cause flooding and major fog... Frostbite...

Spring: Severe Thunderstorms. Snow thaws perhaps too quickly and often causes localized flooding... Tornados, Hail, Severe Wind, Heavy Downpours, and in late March and April, a snowstorm cannot be ruled out.

Summer: It is pretty hot and humid here in the summer. We have heavy downpours and occasional severe thunderstorms. Last August we had a rainfall record for one day of about 7" and ended up getting about 12" of rain for the month, i think it was august, after an all ready wet June.

Fall: I forgot about allergies... Allergies for me are of the hayfever variety, and reach their peak in mid-May in Spring, and the first week of October in fall. Fall is a beautiful time of year, early fall possibly severe thunderstorms and some "Indian Summer," and late fall, snow and ice... Fall is generally very nice in Iowa.

-dbqaskme
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 06:45 AM

3,177 posts, read 2,533,462 times
What a slam to Davenport. Nothing is wrong with Davenport. I know many people that go to Davenport for shopping, concerts and to eat at good restaurants. I do the same thing because Dubuque is lacking in these areas.
I also find people living in Davenport to be friendly and hard working and the town has a lot going for it.

Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubuqueaskme View Post
You're Welcome, I just got carried away...

Wherever in Iowa you move, you should be happy!

With the exception of Davenport...

Weather hazards by time of the year:

Winter: Snowstorms about once a week, an occasional ice storm, brutal cold, random snow melting can cause flooding and major fog... Frostbite...

Spring: Severe Thunderstorms. Snow thaws perhaps too quickly and often causes localized flooding... Tornados, Hail, Severe Wind, Heavy Downpours, and in late March and April, a snowstorm cannot be ruled out.

Summer: It is pretty hot and humid here in the summer. We have heavy downpours and occasional severe thunderstorms. Last August we had a rainfall record for one day of about 7" and ended up getting about 12" of rain for the month, i think it was august, after an all ready wet June.

Fall: I forgot about allergies... Allergies for me are of the hayfever variety, and reach their peak in mid-May in Spring, and the first week of October in fall. Fall is a beautiful time of year, early fall possibly severe thunderstorms and some "Indian Summer," and late fall, snow and ice... Fall is generally very nice in Iowa.

-dbqaskme

Old 01-27-2008, 03:16 PM

Now let's keep it on topic, Jasper.

Davenport, in my opinion, is not a lot to see. Big cities in the state like Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, Cedar Falls, Sioux City, and Dubuque have a cleaner atmosphere. Davenport is pretty dumpy. Sure, there is a mall there... Davenport is a river city, but the city has not really developed it's waterfront to it's full potential. I think there is a lot of room for improvement in the core of Davenport.

Jasper got me started so I had to reply. Anyway, like people have said before, the nice weather usually starts between late March and mid April. The fall is the best time of the year, here though, with the low humidity, sunny days, and pleasant temperatures in the 40's, 50's and low 60's.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:17 PM

I was not criticizing the people of Davenport, I was criticizing the development, which IMO leaves a lot to be desired.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:21 PM

Dubuque is home to several concerts... We had ZZtop a few weeks ago, we have several concerts. We do not lack in festivals and activities, America's River Festival is becoming nationally recognized as a good-ole Midwestern festival. Dubuque is the river city of America, hence the museum and research center in construction. We have "The taste of Dubuque" in July, and The fourth of July festivities that attract people from Minneapolis, Chicago, and Atlanta.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:50 PM

24 posts, read 103,864 times
What is it with you and jasperhobbs? Do you two know each other? Just some FYI I am going to be moving around the Cedar Rapids area, and then after two years I will be near Des Moines.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:08 PM

Jasper denies the facts. He is a demoter of Dubuque, as I am a promoter. He has asked me personal questions that have been none of his business and like previously stated denies the facts about Dubuque's job growth.

The Cedar Rapids area is a great area, have you ever been there?

Cedar Rapids is generally a very good city. The second largest city in Iowa... They are working on developing the riverfront along the Cedar River and there are a few good colleges there.

I have only been to the CR area about ten times so I don't know a whole lot about it.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:12 PM

24 posts, read 103,864 times
Quote:
Jasper denies the facts. He is a demoter of Dubuque, as I am a promoter. He has asked me personal questions that have been none of his business and like previously stated denies the facts about Dubuque's job growth.

The Cedar Rapids area is a great area, have you ever been there?

Cedar Rapids is generally a very good city. The second largest city in Iowa... They are working on developing the riverfront along the Cedar River and there are a few good colleges there.

I have only been to the CR area about ten times so I don't know a whole lot about it.
No I am incredibly stupid I am just packing up my car and moving to Iowa. I have never been there, but after a lot of research and talking to people I determined that Iowa was a perfect fit for me. I will be going to school full time and working as well. I decided that since I need to get to work right away that I would go through a staffing agency until I find something more permanent.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:15 PM

Davenport was way ahead of Dubuque with riverfront development. Until the state kicked in a ton of money, Dubuque had almost nothing on the river. Finally Dubuque is taking advantage of the river. Just look at the river and don't look behind you or you will see a lot old buildings that need a bulldozer or serious renovating.

Jasper

I haven't been to Davenport in a while so I can't comment on whether it is dumpy or not but I doubt they let it go downhill much since I was there.
Quote:
Now let's keep it on topic, Jasper.

Davenport, in my opinion, is not a lot to see. Big cities in the state like Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, Cedar Falls, Sioux City, and Dubuque have a cleaner atmosphere. Davenport is pretty dumpy. Sure, there is a mall there... Davenport is a river city, but the city has not really developed it's waterfront to it's full potential. I think there is a lot of room for improvement in the core of Davenport.

Jasper got me started so I had to reply. Anyway, like people have said before, the nice weather usually starts between late March and mid April. The fall is the best time of the year, here though, with the low humidity, sunny days, and pleasant temperatures in the 40's, 50's and low 60's.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:20 PM

Cedar Rapids is a very progressive on the move town that you will like.

Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingToIowa View Post
What is it with you and jasperhobbs? Do you two know each other? Just some FYI I am going to be moving around the Cedar Rapids area, and then after two years I will be near Des Moines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa