U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 04:41 PM

24 posts, read 103,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Cedar Rapids is a very progressive on the move town that you will like.

Jasper
I hope that I do it seems to be perfect for me from what I have read about. I just hope that I can get a job right away. I am thinking about light industrial, I have experience in that, so maybe I will luck out. I am excited to get out there and see what it is all about. WV has lost so many jobs, housing is high, jobs are 20 hours a week on minimum wage, and education well we are number 1 for party schools. I just need a change of pace and Iowa seems to be it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 04:46 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,534,082 times
Check out monster.com and cedar rapids gazette and you can get feel for job outlook. Also gazette will have rental information. You still have some time before move to research and get prepared before making the move.

Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingToIowa View Post
I hope that I do it seems to be perfect for me from what I have read about. I just hope that I can get a job right away. I am thinking about light industrial, I have experience in that, so maybe I will luck out. I am excited to get out there and see what it is all about. WV has lost so many jobs, housing is high, jobs are 20 hours a week on minimum wage, and education well we are number 1 for party schools. I just need a change of pace and Iowa seems to be it.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:59 PM

449 posts, read 1,268,959 times
People cat fighting over which town in Iowa is better than the other. Too funny.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:15 PM

209 posts, read 1,026,329 times
Jasper, buildings in Dubuque do not need to be demolished. They are not in bad condition... It is called history. Several buildings are on the National Historical Register and to tear them down would be foolish. The buildings are renovated on the inside and preserve the "brick, early 20th century" look on the outside... Some people think that our buildings in Dubuque are beautiful, and wish that they could have a tour. Relatives visit from IL and WI all the time and admire the historical preservation of the city of Dubuque.
---If you like Davenport so much, then move there---

I visited Davenport last week and found that it was a bit better than when I had visited a few years ago, but still not great. The downtown leaves a lot to be desired, and they could be doing a River Renaissance Project like Waterloo, Dubuque, Cedar Rapids, and Iowa City are... Especially given their desirable location.

-dbqaskme

Old 01-27-2008, 05:19 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,534,082 times
Dubuqueaskme who lives in Peosta just pointing out positive things going in Davenport and find it far from dumpy as you termed the town and doubt residents feel that way

Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubuqueaskme View Post
Jasper, buildings in Dubuque do not need to be demolished. They are not in bad condition... It is called history. Several buildings are on the National Historical Register and to tear them down would be foolish. The buildings are renovated on the inside and preserve the "brick, early 20th century" look on the outside... Some people think that our buildings in Dubuque are beautiful, and wish that they could have a tour. Relatives visit from IL and WI all the time and admire the historical preservation of the city of Dubuque.
---If you like Davenport so much, then move there---

I visited Davenport last week and found that it was a bit better than when I had visited a few years ago, but still not great. The downtown leaves a lot to be desired, and they could be doing a River Renaissance Project like Waterloo, Dubuque, Cedar Rapids, and Iowa City are... Especially given their desirable location.

-dbqaskme

Old 01-27-2008, 05:32 PM

17 posts, read 100,825 times
My husband and I moved to Iowa (North Liberty) in 2004, and we moved the first week of June. It was wonderful. I didn't find it too hot, and we weren't worried about all the doors being open actually moving our things in. June gave us the time to find our way around before our kids started school. The best of luck with your move. We LOVED Iowa.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:36 PM

1,744 posts, read 6,781,976 times
I'd say around 8-ish. It's not too early where you're going to wake everyone up, it's a few hours before the hottest time of the day and you have a lot of daylight ahead of you. Remember, the early bird gets the worm!

Old 01-28-2008, 08:14 AM

884 posts, read 827,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scimitar12 View Post
People cat fighting over which town in Iowa is better than the other. Too funny.
I have rummaged through a few Virginia threads...you don't have to travel to the Iowa forum for that.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:51 PM

38 posts, read 119,246 times
Default Davenport bash

I haven't been to Davenport in a while so I can't comment on whether it is dumpy or not but I doubt they let it go downhill much since I was there.[/quote]

Ok, so I have to jump in here on the debate about Davenport, having been born and raised in Davenport. While I don't live there now, I did visit recently, and the new Figge Art Museum MUST be seen. Modernism in the midwest - who knew? Downtown is revitalizing, along with Moline and Rock Island, so new restaurants, etc. etc. Can you really dismiss the Quad Cities so easily, with over 350,000 people living there?

Last edited by futurecitizen; 01-30-2008 at 04:53 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 01-30-2008, 05:08 PM

209 posts, read 1,026,329 times
GDD (Greater Dubuque Development) has announced that in the industrial park west in Dubuque, near Asbury, a new Hormel plant will be built. Complete details are at kwwl.com and kcrg.com, our two local news stations. 200 Blue-Collar Jobs will be created, and GDD is expected to make an announcement of more Westend industrial growth in February!

Dubuque was chosen out of ten spots in Iowa, beating out Eldridge, Mason City, and a few more. This is the biggest investment made in the state of Iowa (except for the ethanol plant(s.)

For JasperHobbs who says "well jobs in Dubuque don't get replaced," we go through a slow-period in the winter months, and begin to rebound usually in late Feb- March, this year we are starting our rebound early .

-dubuqueaskme
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa