U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 11:46 AM

1,282 posts, read 1,627,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeasterner1970 View Post
This is one of the worst forums I have ever seen. The amount of trolls is horrible. I have not seen anything nearly this bad anywhere on the city data forums. Though, much of this is personal opinion.
The trolls have a lot to do with the lack of activity here.

Unfortunately, they're fed too much to go away.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 01:01 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,848,172 times
The thread title doesn't help. A title like this for trolls is like cheese to a rat.

Old 04-30-2016, 01:15 PM

217 posts, read 184,101 times
Yea, I was think the thread title was going to attract trolls or stupid stuff.

Old 05-01-2016, 07:07 AM

3,637 posts, read 3,615,180 times
Default Is Iowa life that great..

Good morning members!
It seems that the recently discussed problem is more easily noticed because the Iowa forum is so relatively quiet, as compared to many state forums. Thus, such comments seems to stand out more readily so it's a matter of perspective I guess.
Still as compared to recent years, the problem is considerably reduced at this time, imho.
Those who have been on the Iowa forum for a period of years, will recognize that we no longer have a situation where a member comes through semi-regularly & drops negative comments or insults into as many as 6 or 7 different threads on a given day.
As a result, I have noticed that my blood pressure stays on a more even keel when I now visit the Iowa forum. As a certain media type says, "And that's a good thing!". LOL!
As for the thread topic, let's keep the diverse comments & opinions coming.

Old 05-02-2016, 05:10 PM

6,360 posts, read 7,243,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
The trolls have a lot to do with the lack of activity here.

Unfortunately, they're fed too much to go away.
you Iowans know nothing of trolls. you should see the trolls we have on the Chicago subform: they are the size of rats, twice as nasty, more germ filled, and with a rabid bite. Trust me: you should consider yourself fortunate.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:04 AM

9,258 posts, read 17,891,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
you Iowans know nothing of trolls. you should see the trolls we have on the Chicago subform: they are the size of rats, twice as nasty, more germ filled, and with a rabid bite. Trust me: you should consider yourself fortunate.
That's nothing. Under the bridge that crosses the stream on the way to the hillside where the Billy Goats Gruff go to make themselves fat lived a troll who would gobble up anyone trying to cross.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:57 AM

3,452 posts, read 3,437,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
That's nothing. Under the bridge that crosses the stream on the way to the hillside where the Billy Goats Gruff go to make themselves fat lived a troll who would gobble up anyone trying to cross.
You just described the creatures that live below the Mackinaw Bridge in Michigan!

Kidding! I love all my Michigan peeps, both Trolls and Yoopers!

Old 05-05-2016, 11:08 AM

8,280 posts, read 10,216,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcgtrr88 View Post
Coming from the south, my observation of the people here is that they are generally rude, cold, and extreeeeeemmmmely liberal. Quite the opposite of folks down south. Sorry....housing prices are absolutely ridiculous for the quality of home you get (cookie cutter particle board home). Compared to areas in the southeast, home prices here are 100% higher. Groceries and household items are 15-30% higher here. You all need to stop drinking the Quad Cities kool-aid and really do your research:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
You're complaining about the cost of housing in the dirt-cheap Quad Cities??

The Quad Cities kool-aid? This is just pathologically,laughably ridiculous.

Iowa being "extremely liberal"? Only to someone from ultra-right wing small-city Georgia.

This thread is loads of fun..

Last edited by Yac; 05-25-2016 at 05:32 AM..

Old 05-05-2016, 12:43 PM

818 posts, read 592,721 times
I grew up and lived in CR until I was 23. As a teenager, I hated it. It was "so boring" and all we did was cruise the ave, party at whoevers house didn't have parents home that night, or go drive somewhere like Chain Lakes, Greencastle, Seven Hills, etc and hang out. I graduated college and moved to L.A.

15 years later, as an adult, I now like Iowa. CR has changed, added things like the Farmers Market and had a lot of redevelopment, and is catching up to the food scene. Coralville and West Des Moines give options (like Whole Foods) so you don't have to go to Chicago. Although Chicago and St. Louis are still a destination for certain fixes (like pro sports and 4/5 star entertainment options).

Homes in CR are much, much cheaper per capita than a lot of cities. Don't take that for granted.

Now i don't live there currently, but family and friends are still there and I travel back. I have a feeling I would now like to live in CR, although I haven't done a winter in a while so I may remember why I left in the first place. But other than snow it's cool to me. Great schools too.

Old 05-05-2016, 08:50 PM

28,268 posts, read 30,830,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funksoulbro View Post
In the GOP's backwards thinking, government that functions for the whole cannot be allowed. It must be hampered, choked, and neutered so that nobody but the wealthiest receive any benefit from it. The strategy has worked well, too. Most people will only see the end result of an ineffective government, not the intentional sabotage by scheming politicians who made it that way in the first place.

I could substitute "Democrat" for GOP and your statement would still be true. The constituencies are different, but we have become a nation of takers just the same. That's not going to take us anywhere good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or