U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 07:23 AM

8 posts, read 8,508 times

Advertisements

We live in a small town I West TN. I was born and raised in Memphis, but moved just outside Memohis due to all the crime. My husband is from Pepin, WI and one of our sons now lives in Cedar Rapids. We have decided to relocate to either MN, WI or IA so we can be closer to our son, and our younger kids, still at home, only living set of grandparents in Pepin. We have decided against MN due to the influx of Muslims and the liberal thinking of a lot of MN people. Wi we were staying away from because of the astronomical property taxes. So we were looking at a small town outside Dubuque, as my husband has several job opportunities there. I grew up on the Mississippi River and so did my husband. So we really want to stay along the old Mississippi. Now I'm worried that all the homes I have fallen in love with in Iowa will be back to where we are now. We have a $230k house but only pay $1500 a year in property taxes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 12:10 PM

1,153 posts, read 742,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
My friends in Duluth like to say, "Forty below keeps the riff-raff out."
That's actually the kind of thing I'm looking for. And I like the cold, especially when there's snow.
Having grown up in the Baltimore suburbs I can say I'm definitely looking forward to getting away from "the riff-raff", hence my looking into states like Wyoming, South Dakota, Iowa, etc. All that Kumbaya stuff is nice on paper...

There also seems to be a reason Iowa is one of the few places in this country with decent schools...it doesn't have a Baltimore or a Detroit bringing it down. Again, my apologies if that sounded "mean", but that's the reality.

The thing that has me hesitant about Iowa & Nebraska are the taxes. Again: YIKES!

Vermont, New Hampshire & Maine (especially Maine) are nice too, but I'm kinda done with the East.

Old 11-07-2015, 02:43 PM

16,660 posts, read 16,301,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
You get what you pay for and the higher taxes also bring in better schools, better social programs, etc.

If you want low cost of living and don't care about schools or any other programs, look into South Carolina, Mississippi, Alabama, etc.
You wouldn't be singing that tune if you were a NJ taxpayer.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:22 AM

3,613 posts, read 3,329,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
You wouldn't be singing that tune if you were a NJ taxpayer.
Ok, I'll give you that, but you still have pretty good schools and services even with the corrupt political system there.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:18 PM

881 posts, read 797,037 times
Half a dozen of one, six of the other. Some states charge no income tax, but have to make it up somewhere so they raise other taxes. It all works out to being in the same range except for the highest tax states.

In terms of dollars, there isn't much money separating the rest of the states. About $700 difference between Texas and Iowa. Well worth it to me; you couldn't get me to move anywhere near Texas.

State and Local Tax Burdens: All States, One Year, 1977 - 2011 | Tax Foundation

Old 11-10-2015, 08:34 AM

317 posts, read 335,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
That's actually the kind of thing I'm looking for. And I like the cold, especially when there's snow.
Having grown up in the Baltimore suburbs I can say I'm definitely looking forward to getting away from "the riff-raff", hence my looking into states like Wyoming, South Dakota, Iowa, etc. All that Kumbaya stuff is nice on paper...

There also seems to be a reason Iowa is one of the few places in this country with decent schools...it doesn't have a Baltimore or a Detroit bringing it down. Again, my apologies if that sounded "mean", but that's the reality.

The thing that has me hesitant about Iowa & Nebraska are the taxes. Again: YIKES!

Vermont, New Hampshire & Maine (especially Maine) are nice too, but I'm kinda done with the East.
Don't make the mistake of thinking Iowa is all rosy...there are plenty of areas that have an issue with 'riff-raff', even in Iowa.

Out of sheer curiosity, why are you done with the East?

Old 11-11-2015, 08:00 AM

16,660 posts, read 16,301,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Ok, I'll give you that, but you still have pretty good schools and services even with the corrupt political system there.
Liken every other state our good schools are in the upper-middle and so-called white collar areas.

In NJ our worst schools get the lion's share of the tax booty and remain our worst schools.

Unfortunately in NJ our activist courts set up the Abbott Schools decision and a small percentage of the schools get the majority percentage of the cash.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:12 PM

11,288 posts, read 23,409,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Cost of living.

We moved from West Des Moines, IA to Las Vegas, NV.

Everyone knows it's so much cheaper in LV, right? Wrong. We took a 15% hit moving here. No state taxes are fine except the money has to come from somewhere. Groceries are 20% higher than WDM and the product selection is not as good as HyVee by any stretch of the imagination.

If it wasn't for the weather affecting my health I'd move back in a heartbeat.
Why would people think it's cheaper to live in Las Vegas? Just curious. Des Moines almost always comes out as one of the cheapest cost of livings in the country - and it also happens to have relatively high wages (being a white collar metro).

Las Vegas vs Des Moines (100=National Average)
Overall
99.4 - 81.9

Food
103.3 - 94.5

Housing
94.2 - 60.6

Utilities
90 - 90.6

Transportation
102.3 - 98

Health
105 - 84.7

Miscellaneous
102.4 - 88.8

Old 12-09-2015, 05:24 PM

459 posts, read 350,041 times
Yes, parts of Iowa are not great. Depends where you live in the state. Seems like a lot of transplants are arriving from out of the country and from the southeastern United States. I see the foreigners contributing a lot more to Iowa communities than the southerners that are arriving. A lot of foreigners arriving from what I see want to work and do good and get involved in the community whereas a majority of the southern people arriving want to start fights, run people off the road, are uneducated, don't want to work, steal, cause all kinds of accidents, and want to cause problems. I hope that doesn't continue to be the case and that changes, but that's what I have seen thus far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or