Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 03:29 AM

415 posts, read 1,738,732 times

Advertisements

One thing that affects how Iowa's tax rates end up, is that we are one of 6 states that allow deducting your federal taxes paid. So if you do pay 25% federal taxes, you only pay state taxes on your remaining 75% of your gross income. It makes a big difference, especially for high income people, but it hurts Iowa when people just compare tax brackets and rates against other states with lower tax rates, but no federal deductability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 07:56 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
I don't know anything about Maryland, but it quite frankly isn't that expensive to live in the midwest. If one catagory of expenses seems high to you, than there is another that is most likely going to be cheaper. There is no way, for example, Des Moines metro wins these acknowledgements if cost of living is out of control. In fact, it is the low cost of living that gets it on may of these lists.

Here is a link to many more: Des Moines Rankings | 2014 Rankings
The cost of living overall isn't out of control but taxes are extremely high for middle and lower income Iowans. The reason DSM gets on all these lists is that the economy is on fire, which can make up for the taxes.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:04 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,347,602 times
^ I believe if you look at most (all?) rankings when they are comparing cost of living between places, they include average tax obligations. When Des Moines ranks high on these lists, cost of living is normally one of the main factors that is mentioned in favor of Des Moines.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:13 AM

230 posts, read 343,152 times
I love in Ankeny you get money back in education for kids. Other places can't always say the same

Old 10-21-2015, 10:51 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,626,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I used to think that I wanted to live where the cost of living is low, but after dealing with hospitals, restaurants, and retail stores staffed by the graduates of sub-standard public schools, I've since changed my mind. I'm older now and appreciate literate, English-speaking help.

OP, people don't necessarily live in Iowa because taxes are low, although as pointed out, they are competitive in some aspects, and certainly lower than many parts of California, as co-workers frequently tell me. There are other reasons to be here.

Best of luck with your search!
Maybe you should expand on that for the OP, it certainly isn't your weather or scenery.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:06 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,694,636 times
Default Midwest taxes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Maybe you should expand on that for the OP, it certainly isn't your weather or scenery.

Since you're apparently knocking Iowa scenery & weather, pray tell if you've ever really visited the state & where you live please.
Living away from Iowa in Georgia now for 35 years, a place normally considered to have better weather overall & more variety of scenery than Iowa, I've come to realize that I'd have to give Iowa much higher marks on overall quality of life than Georgia. And it's really not even close...
How does your own state stack up on quality of life concerns, seain dublin?

Meemur by the way is a fairly new migrant to Iowa & overall speaks quite favorably of her adopted state.

Old 10-25-2015, 03:06 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,706,855 times
Iowa and most of the upper Midwest are known for having higher taxes. But, the income is more than other parts of the Midwest.

Our income taxes are fairly low here in MO, but the sales tax in my area is almost 9%, and the property tax on homes/vehicles is a little ridiculous.

Sure, Iowa may not be as beautiful as Yellowstone, but the cost of living is lower than most of the East Coast, the schools are good, housing costs are reasonable, and the people are friendly.

Probably the main reason people aren't moving to the Midwest instead of the Southeast is because of the weather.

Old 10-25-2015, 05:25 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,603,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post

Probably the main reason people aren't moving to the Midwest instead of the Southeast is because of the weather.
My friends in Duluth like to say, "Forty below keeps the riff-raff out."

Old 10-26-2015, 05:07 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,706,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
My friends in Duluth like to say, "Forty below keeps the riff-raff out."
Interesting that you should mention that. I've noticed that the countries and states with the coldest climates, often have some of the lowest crime.

How much crime do places like Norway and Sweden have? Very little.

Obviously there are cities in colder states which may have crime problems, but the state as a whole is generally low-crime.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:10 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Iowa and most of the upper Midwest are known for having higher taxes. But, the income is more than other parts of the Midwest.

Our income taxes are fairly low here in MO, but the sales tax in my area is almost 9%, and the property tax on homes/vehicles is a little ridiculous.

Sure, Iowa may not be as beautiful as Yellowstone, but the cost of living is lower than most of the East Coast, the schools are good, housing costs are reasonable, and the people are friendly.

And jobs, or lack thereof. People will move for money, the weather be damned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa