U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,490 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating from the Chicago suburbs to Pella, IA. My husband is taking a job in Pella and wants to live close to work, I noticed there are not many options when it comes to available housing. I would like to live in the Des Moines area, since there are so many options for housing, dining, entertainment, etc. Any advice on locations that will keep my husband’s commute under 30 minutes (each way) and put us in the direction of Des Moines. I should mention that we have children so schools, neighborhoods, and safety matter as well. Also, how long does it really take to drive from Pella to Des Moines to do afternoon shopping/dining?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 03:24 PM

9,411 posts, read 10,372,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagotoPella View Post
We will be relocating from the Chicago suburbs to Pella, IA. My husband is taking a job in Pella and wants to live close to work, I noticed there are not many options when it comes to available housing. I would like to live in the Des Moines area, since there are so many options for housing, dining, entertainment, etc. Any advice on locations that will keep my husband’s commute under 30 minutes (each way) and put us in the direction of Des Moines. I should mention that we have children so schools, neighborhoods, and safety matter as well. Also, how long does it really take to drive from Pella to Des Moines to do afternoon shopping/dining?

Expect the drive from Pella to Des Moines to take anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:08 PM

3,613 posts, read 3,330,255 times
Pella is a cute town, small town though. It would make more sense to live in Pella vs Des Moines I think. It's a town we considered retiring to some day actually. I would hate to have my husband drive an hour each way just to live in a bigger town, personally. You can get your day to day needs in Pella. There are some nice local restaurants, theater, events at the college and such as well.

Old 11-12-2015, 04:31 PM

3,793 posts, read 5,135,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
Pella is a cute town, small town though. It would make more sense to live in Pella vs Des Moines I think. It's a town we considered retiring to some day actually. I would hate to have my husband drive an hour each way just to live in a bigger town, personally. You can get your day to day needs in Pella. There are some nice local restaurants, theater, events at the college and such as well.
I'd recommend Carlisle as a town to consider moving to. School is of the not too big, not too small variety and it's located close to Des Moines, yet an easy commute GOING THE OPPOSITE DIRECTION of rush hour traffic to Pella. Another possibility with the same advantages of location would be Monroe. PCM is a smaller school than Carlisle (consolidated with Prairie City),

Pella's a very pretty town, but extremely ethnic. If you're not Dutch and more importantly a member of some type of Reformed church, you're pretty much an outsider and your kids will be in school also. It'll be subtle, but it will always be there.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:05 PM

6,147 posts, read 5,767,442 times
Pella is pretty, but unless you are a VERY conservative Christian you would not be happy living there. On the other hand, if that's your belief system and lifestyle your family might love it. 163 Pella to Des Moines is a nice easy drive in most weather. The DM burbs extend out as far as Ivy. Lots of people like Altoona. I know a couple who live in Pleasantville (one works in Ankeny and the other in Oskaloosa) and they LOVE it. Don't even consider Knoxville, it's nasty.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:36 AM

2 posts, read 4,490 times
Thank you so much for your responses!! What do you all think of Pleasant Hill or Altoona? How long would the daily commute into Pella be if we lived there? We are not very religious, so I am worried about our kids not fitting in with the Pella crowd. Also, if we do end up in Pella, I noticed there are not many housing options. I was thinking about renting for a few months while we decide where to buy, but I can not find even one house/apartment available for rent.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:10 PM

338 posts, read 268,399 times
Those are still over your 30 min commute cutoff. It would be more like 45-50 minutes (probably longer with winter weather). There's not much within 30 minutes of Pella. Newton is a little closer. Oskaloosa, but that's the opposite direction.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:36 PM

3,793 posts, read 5,135,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatteredthunder View Post
Those are still over your 30 min commute cutoff. It would be more like 45-50 minutes (probably longer with winter weather). There's not much within 30 minutes of Pella. Newton is a little closer. Oskaloosa, but that's the opposite direction.
As stated by scatteredthunder, you're looking at a lot of time on the road. Closer communities are Monroe, Carlisle, Pleasantville and Knoxville. As was posted earlier, I wouldn't consider Knoxville unless you're looking for a total redneck environment.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:24 PM

6,147 posts, read 5,767,442 times
Newton might be a really good pick for you, but Altoona would be an easier commute, I think. I'd vote for looking hard for rentable housing in Altoona and Pleasant Hill and see what you think after six months or so.

I banked in Pella and enjoyed going there once a week for banking, lunch, and a stop at the bakeries. It really is the classic "Nice place to visit but you wouldn't want to live there."

Old 11-14-2015, 10:34 AM

1,213 posts, read 1,149,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Newton might be a really good pick for you, but Altoona would be an easier commute, I think. I'd vote for looking hard for rentable housing in Altoona and Pleasant Hill and see what you think after six months or so.

I banked in Pella and enjoyed going there once a week for banking, lunch, and a stop at the bakeries. It really is the classic "Nice place to visit but you wouldn't want to live there."
I concur with Altoona and Pleasant Hill. I did this drive today from Pella today and timed it. it was about 35 minutes to Pleasant Hill with a little speeding (5 over), good road conditions, and not much traffic. It was 45 minutes to downtown Des Moines, 55 to Windsor Heights, and would be an hour plus to the western burbs and the Jordan Creek area.

Altoona or Pleasant Hill might be doable. Your husband wouldn't really have to deal with the rush hour traffic in Des Moines if you lived in Altoona or Pleasant Hill and you would be within short driving distance to the amenities that Des Moines has to offer. Pella to Pleasant Hill and back would probably be an easy commute 360 days out of the year. Those 5 days when the road conditions are bad (i.e. blizzard, icy, or extreme fog) would make your husband regret not living closer though. Coming from the Chicago burbs, I think your husband would consider it an easy commute even if it might be slightly longer than he wants. It really depends on his tolerance for commuting. I know I wouldn't be able to do that commute everyday, but I'm sure there are many who do.

I believe the SE Polk school district is a good one too, but don't take my word for it. I hope this helps and good luck.

Last edited by maniac77; 11-14-2015 at 11:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or