Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2008, 11:57 AM

3 posts, read 9,832 times

Advertisements

My wife may be getting a new job in Davenport, and I was wondering where nice places to live would be? Any thoughts on living in IL?

We probably wont want to drive more than 20 mintues or so.

Thanks in advance.

PS - Hope there is room in Iowa for a couple Colts Fans!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 02:38 PM

38 posts, read 128,292 times
Don't know much about the Colts, but there are a bunch of nice neighborhoods in Davenport and Bettendorf. I'm more familiar with the Iowa side of the river, but IL has its appeal. Without knowing where in Davenport you'd be working, I can't say which neighborhood. It depends on what you are looking for in a neighborhood: historic home versus new modern development condo; school choice; access to downtown; access to big-box retail, etc. Davenport - well the whole Quad Cities - is a really great place to live.

Old 01-31-2008, 03:02 PM

2,072 posts, read 5,414,612 times
I don't know that there would be any signifigant reason to go to the IL side unless the house you like is over there. There are good areas in Older parts of town, but I don't know much about that area. In the newer parts of town you will want to go out near E. 53rd past Utica Ridge, Crow Creek Rd, and into areas of Bettendorf, they are all extremely safe neighborhoods with friendly people.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:10 PM

4,149 posts, read 3,901,995 times
Colts fan here too. You will like Davenport. Welcome to Iowa

Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by indycoltsfan View Post
My wife may be getting a new job in Davenport, and I was wondering where nice places to live would be? Any thoughts on living in IL?

We probably wont want to drive more than 20 mintues or so.

Thanks in advance.

PS - Hope there is room in Iowa for a couple Colts Fans!

Old 02-01-2008, 09:16 AM

449 posts, read 1,393,428 times
Davenport has basically concentrated most of its development in the northeast part of the city with the center around I-74 and E. 53rd St. Lots of excellent shopping and new housing. There are many nice older neighborhoods around Garfield Park and the St. Paul church area. Downtown is slowly coming along, though I do not know if any really nice condos have been developed, especially during this housing slump.

Bettendorf has several nice neighborhoods too. The IL side is okay but I personally would not buy anything there unless it was a house that I just had to have.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:34 PM

15 posts, read 99,954 times
What are you looking for? City or small town or country? Have a need for good schools?

Old 02-03-2008, 11:11 AM

87 posts, read 383,272 times
Rock Island is the closest Illinois city to Davenport, right accross the centennial bridge. Do some good research before you purchase a home there. The Southern parts of Davenport, and the Northern and western parts of Rock Island have some pretty run down high crime neighborhoods. Ive seen a lot of nice homes in Moline, but it will be a further drive into Davenport. Other than that there are a few small suburbs like Hampton or Port Byron, that have a more laid back small town feel. Interstate 74 and I 80 run through the eastern and northern parts of davenport, so its pretty easy to just hop on an interstate to make your travel time faster.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:51 AM

9 posts, read 26,495 times
Default Born and raised

I would look at Bettendorf first, if you don't mind a small commute check out Eldridge, Long Grove or Park View second. Last check out north Davenport and new developments on the west end. Stay away from areas west of Locust St. I currently live in central Davenport, near VanderVeer Park and live in a quiet neighborhood with wonderful neighbors. But for the schools we would prefer Bettendorf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa