U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 06:50 PM

387 posts, read 542,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
There's absolutely nothing on the web about this. It seems like it would be just a little bit newsworthy for that part of the state.
...Any part of the state, really. A project on this scale would be garnering all kinds of regional (and even cross-state) press. I've conducted numerous Google searches, including news feeds, and not a single verifiable story can be found about this alleged proposal.

Perhaps some staffer at the Sheldon Area Chamber of Commerce is desperate to justify their salary, so they are creating a fictional scenario (with multiple City-Data sock puppet accounts) to attract public interest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 08:39 AM

3,617 posts, read 3,559,630 times
I'll check with my brother who lives in Wisconsin & ask him how he happened to hear about it.
My online searching has not found anything but he knew about it somehow & mentioned it to me in an e-mail.
Funny though how the op of the thread has never supplied a supporting link or story.

Old 01-17-2016, 05:57 PM

11 posts, read 10,703 times
All the information I know about this project comes from a friend of mine who works for the firm who is doing the retail planning for this development so I have no direct links to information about this development. The outlet center has received better than expected interest. The apartments will be built and managed by an Atlanta company who has developed a lot of other apartment communities as part of large mixed-use developments. As for information about the large retail store, I think that is still not a done deal, but the idea of a furniture outlet in the big box location has been studied and they are in talks with furniture businesses from Sioux Falls, Omaha, and two national chains. One outlet possibly would be a national mattress company and another a national flooring company . The two hotels are done deals. Public announcements about this project won't be released to the public until this spring.

Old 01-19-2016, 08:29 AM

9,243 posts, read 17,644,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAresident32 View Post
Public announcements about this project won't be released to the public until this spring.
Bull. A project of this magnitude will require a boatload of permits and tax incentives, many of which would require public hearings before they can be voted on.

Not to mention, somebody owns the property, somebody has to survey the property, somebody has to put together an engineering plan, somebody has to solicit interest from businesses, somebody has to conduct a feasibility study, etc., etc. There would have to be literally hundreds of people aware of this project long before it gets to the point where there's even a 50-50 chance that it will happen. There's no way that some of them wouldn't be talking about it by this time if it were really that close to reality.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:46 AM

11 posts, read 10,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Bull. A project of this magnitude will require a boatload of permits and tax incentives, many of which would require public hearings before they can be voted on.

Not to mention, somebody owns the property, somebody has to survey the property, somebody has to put together an engineering plan, somebody has to solicit interest from businesses, somebody has to conduct a feasibility study, etc., etc. There would have to be literally hundreds of people aware of this project long before it gets to the point where there's even a 50-50 chance that it will happen. There's no way that some of them wouldn't be talking about it by this time if it were really that close to reality.
If you lived in the Sheldon area, you would know that this development is not exactly a secret (nothing stays a secret long in towns like Sheldon. This development has been in the works for a few years now. People in Sheldon know that there's a development in the works but know little about the project probably because the developers and those working on this project are for the most part, not in Iowa. The land has been surveyed, feasibility and impact studies have been conducted. Preliminary plans have been drawn and revised several times, retail companies have been solicited, and currently they are putting together a package to present to city, county, and state sometime this spring, that's when the public will learn more details.

Old 01-19-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAresident32 View Post
If you lived in the Sheldon area, you would know that this development is not exactly a secret (nothing stays a secret long in towns like Sheldon. This development has been in the works for a few years now. People in Sheldon know that there's a development in the works but know little about the project probably because the developers and those working on this project are for the most part, not in Iowa. The land has been surveyed, feasibility and impact studies have been conducted. Preliminary plans have been drawn and revised several times, retail companies have been solicited, and currently they are putting together a package to present to city, county, and state sometime this spring, that's when the public will learn more details.
Every step in the process is newsworthy, and yet somehow there are absolutely no news sources reporting anything about this anywhere. None. Nada. Zilch.

Dollar General recently built a store in my town. From the time they first inquired about the property where they wanted to build the store until they opened for business there was something about it in the paper every week. For a single Dollar freaking General store. And you think it's reasonable to believe that a major development in Sheldon would get to this point without so much as a peep?

Again, I'll believe it when I see a link to a single credible news story about some phase of the project.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:03 PM

7 posts, read 6,839 times
From the radio station in Sheldon:

SCDC Executive Director Curt Strouth began the meeting by announcing that 2015 SCDC President Rick Nordahl of Sanford Sheldon will be continuing as SCDC President for 2016. Nordahl spoke briefly, thanking SCDC staff, board members, committee and membership for their work during the past year. He said that some of the goals for the coming year include acquiring additional development land. He says there are lots of projects on the table, and a lot of interest in Sheldon by prospective businesses.

Old 01-20-2016, 02:37 PM

644 posts, read 916,018 times
Check the Sheldon planning and zoning meeting minutes......if there are plans then it would have been discussed at many meetings.

Old 01-20-2016, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IASheldonOrab193 View Post
From the radio station in Sheldon:

SCDC Executive Director Curt Strouth began the meeting by announcing that 2015 SCDC President Rick Nordahl of Sanford Sheldon will be continuing as SCDC President for 2016. Nordahl spoke briefly, thanking SCDC staff, board members, committee and membership for their work during the past year. He said that some of the goals for the coming year include acquiring additional development land. He says there are lots of projects on the table, and a lot of interest in Sheldon by prospective businesses.
This tells me nothing, sorry.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:28 PM

387 posts, read 542,322 times
And, even if this proposal is legitimate, I bet it gets scaled back dramatically...or never built. In the age of Amazon Prime Shipping, the concept of travelling 60-70 miles to purchase cheap goods is something of an antiquated notion. The only reason why places like Tanger Outlet Mall hang on is because they're located along a busy stretch of I-80, where road-weary motorists are looking for a convenient place to stretch their legs for an hour.

Sheldon is so far removed from such infrastructure and population centers, that a proposal like this is guaranteed to fail big time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or