U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 11:24 AM

10 posts, read 8,889 times

Advertisements

The outlet mall in Sheldon will probably get a lot of traffic from all the people from Omaha and Sioux City that head up to the Iowa Great Lakes on the weekends. I think they may have been smarter putting something like that up at Okoboj thoughi. A Bass Pro Shop would probably do okay in the lakes area. I think they build most of their stores along interstate highways though. Anyway, I think a decent outlet center in Sheldon could do well if they get the right stores. It sounds like they are kind of thinking about of making this a destination attraction, since they are adding hotels and an entertainment area. I can't wait to see the plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAresident32 View Post
The plans for the development in Sheldon have been updated. The big box store has been removed from the plans. In it's place will be an entertainment plaza that will include several restaurants and an area for festivals and concerts. The outlet center's retail space has increased by 50,000 sq ft and will include two major furniture store outlets. There now will be three hotels, not two. The additional hotel will be located above many of the retail bays. Some flexible office space has also been added above the retail areas. No changes have been made to the housing portion. Expect this project to go public next month.

Also, plans for the event center in Sheldon are coming right along. Vision Iowa gave the city of Sheldon an 840 thousand dollar grant and over a million dollars in private donations have been raised so far.
Any more information?

Old 03-22-2016, 10:44 AM

11 posts, read 10,706 times
The only new details I have is that the outlet facades are going to be built in several different architectural styles to resemble an all-American main street. It's going to have ornate street lighting, extensive landscaping, and extra wide, pedestrian friendly sidewalks. There will even be a town square. The town square will have a play area, some kind of a gazebo, some kind of a water feature, and an area for holiday displays. The apartments and hotels will follow the same architectural details so the whole project ties together. Details on the entertainment area are still evolving. Instead of stand alone restaurants, they are now going to make this an extension off the outlet center's main street and buildings will be built in the same style as the outlets. There will be a large plaza in the center with outdoor seating and a stage for concerts and other events. They're trying to secure a good mix of tenants for this area...a microbrewery, steak house, italian, mexican, seafood, chinese, bakery, coffee house, etc..

Old 03-23-2016, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAresident32 View Post
The only new details I have is that the outlet facades are going to be built in several different architectural styles to resemble an all-American main street. It's going to have ornate street lighting, extensive landscaping, and extra wide, pedestrian friendly sidewalks. There will even be a town square. The town square will have a play area, some kind of a gazebo, some kind of a water feature, and an area for holiday displays. The apartments and hotels will follow the same architectural details so the whole project ties together. Details on the entertainment area are still evolving. Instead of stand alone restaurants, they are now going to make this an extension off the outlet center's main street and buildings will be built in the same style as the outlets. There will be a large plaza in the center with outdoor seating and a stage for concerts and other events. They're trying to secure a good mix of tenants for this area...a microbrewery, steak house, italian, mexican, seafood, chinese, bakery, coffee house, etc..
Thanks for the info. This sounds like quite a project. Any information on a start and date? Will it be built all at one time or in several phases?

Old 03-24-2016, 06:37 AM

7 posts, read 6,843 times
Yesterday, I noticed a bunch of guys out surveying the field again. I felt sorry for them working out in the rain. I hope they got their work done, because it's a real mess out there today.

Old 03-27-2016, 11:08 AM

Debi Durham, Iowa's director of economic development will be in Sheldon this coming week. I'm guessing an announcement about this project is coming soon.

Old 03-28-2016, 08:12 AM

When I drove by this morning, I noticed they have installed a large canopy tent next to the road and they were unloading a bunch of chairs out of a big truck. Anybody know what that could be for?

Old 03-28-2016, 10:04 PM

586 posts, read 1,998,181 times
All of this is gearing up for a great April Fool's Day prank!

Director Durham was in Sheldon today, but it appears she was hamming it up at some steakhouse talking about all things development in NW Iowa that doesn't directly involve a project in Sheldon.

I searched in vain for some scrap of news that would confirm this project and came up empty. I did see that this rather nice looking events center was going to be built by the Holiday Inn Express though.

Old 03-29-2016, 01:41 PM

There's now a "Walmart Superstore....Coming Soon" sign across the road from the land that they've been surveying. The big canopy tent is still there.

Old 03-30-2016, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IASheldonOrab193 View Post
There's now a "Walmart Superstore....Coming Soon" sign across the road from the land that they've been surveying. The big canopy tent is still there.
I saw the coming soon sign too. I thought there was supposed to be a new residential subdivision going there. The tent on the other side of the road is gone now.

I was told that the site plans for the mixed use project are being finalized and will be presented to the city council soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or