Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 01:56 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,755,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
The candidates will be Jeb and Hillary, if you haven't figured it out yet you never will. Here's how it will go down. Candidates will start dropping out of he race. They will tell their supporters they have to support the "most electable candidate" and throw their support behind him. This stuff has been decided two years ago. Bush has the money to outlast most everybody (not Trump but I still think he's a pawn on the electoral chessboard). That's how it will go down, I've seen this rodeo enough to know how it works. The establishment candidate always wins, always.

What "we" need to do is stop believing government is the answer to ANYTHING. Once the general populace gets over their religious like belief in government things may get better. Like Nietzsche said government is the coldest of the cold dark monsters...
Great points. It's basically Saturday Night Live. The actual debates have proven themselves far more entertaining than the skits this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 02:25 PM

4,861 posts, read 6,927,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
I don't agree Jeb will be the eventual nominee because it has been proven that the "establishment track" to R nomination is not clearly trending his way. IMO, Rubio has a better chance.

If Rubio gets it, R's have a chance. If Jeb gets it, Hillary is Prez. Grassroots and base stayed home for McCain and Romney, they are not coming out for another Bush.

If "outsider" get's R nomination (only Trump and Cruz have realistic chance at this point IMO),

Trump can't win general election as his negatives are too high. Hillary is Prez.

Cruz can win but has more work to do (in the mold of Reagan in 1980) to win.

That's how I"m seeing it from the ground here in Iowa.
(see how I tied it back to Iowa)

I can agree with your argument . Frankly it scares me to death that Trump may be the Republican candidate. I'd vote for him over Hillary, but it will be painful standing in that booth. Other than Trump's diehard supporters, I doubt he'll get much support and we'll have President Clinton trying to run the country while staying out of jail.

If anyone wants to run down all the reasons not to vote Trump in the IOWA primary, reference this from Catholic Vote.com.

https://www.catholicvote.org/nottrump/

Notice how I said IOWA primary.

Old 01-28-2016, 02:56 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,940,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
Once again you have a short memory. Polling means nothing at this point. History has proven itself, the establishment candidate always wins. The establishment propped him up from the get go. He has the financial backing that others don't. Other candidates will throw their support behind him once they start dropping, they say this election is the most important of our lifetime, gotta support the most electable, yada yada yada. Same thing every four years.

Either way we're screwed. Hillary or Jeb, tweedle dee and tweedle dumb.

Iowa is cool...
I disagree maybe Rubio will be nominated but that would split the party and the dems win. Trump will bring us together he's the strongest canadite by far. He seems to be doing well in Iowa.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:59 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
I can agree with your argument . Frankly it scares me to death that Trump may be the Republican candidate. I'd vote for him over Hillary, but it will be painful standing in that booth. Other than Trump's diehard supporters, I doubt he'll get much support and we'll have President Clinton trying to run the country while staying out of jail.

If anyone wants to run down all the reasons not to vote Trump in the IOWA primary, reference this from Catholic Vote.com.

https://www.catholicvote.org/nottrump/

Notice how I said IOWA primary.
The reality of the matter is first man Bill Clinton has infinitely more experience than any selection that Trump picks as a running mate.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:07 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,350,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I disagree maybe Rubio will be nominated but that would split the party and the dems win. Trump will bring us together he's the strongest canadite by far. He seems to be doing well in Iowa.
How does Rubio split the party more than Trump???

Rubio’s weakness is the gang of 8 amenity, so there is some risk there but nowhere near the numbers of conservatives that will not vote for Trump. Period. You need to look at the data on the candidates’ negatives. Trumps are the worst of the bunch…by far.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:20 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,605,159 times
I really enjoyed the caucusing experience in Iowa. It was much more fun than voting in the primary elections I've experienced in other states. You just felt so bad for the people looking around in disappointment because no one was joining them in the grouping for their candidate.

And Iowa's vote has a National influence, too. If you guys pick one of the more extreme candidates, people in other states will say, "Oh, that's just the choice of white conservatives in flyover country. Another candidate will have a better chance in the country as a whole." But if you pick one of the more moderate candidates, people in the rest of the country will say - "X has a chance even among white conservatives in flyover country!" Isn't that what happened with candidate Obama?

Iowa is very fortunate to have the intense early campaigning experience. As someone said earlier, if you don't get to meet a candidate in person it's because you're just not trying. I'm still trying to process my week-long up-close and personal experience with the President's campaign visit in Iowa in 2012. Politics at the national level is just weird and depressing.

I'm with those of you who say there isn't one among any of the candidates in either party who would be my pick.

This is why I concentrate on local and state elections, where my vote has actual importance and relevance to my daily life.

However, my bet is that the Pubbys will run Rubio as their candidate next November. So it's Rubio V Clinton 2016, and we'll all hold our noses.

Old 01-28-2016, 06:14 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
Here's an interesting evangelical viewpoint on opportunities given Iowans by their caucus event that turned up in the Register. Penned by the pastor of The Cornerstone Church in Ames, my brother & I have discussed current events in similar terms.

Iowa evangelical fears candidates hijack the Bible

Old 01-29-2016, 07:54 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,582,247 times
If you hold your noses and vote party line then complain about nothing. For you, the voter, has caused this mess. It's not the politicians, they are only doing what we all know politicians do; lie, cheat, steal...

The pro Bush propaganda has already started:

Winners and Losers from the 7th Republican presidential debate

I'll be back in a few months to baske in the glory of my prediction.

Oh, and on a final note, please don't vote. For the voter is the greatest enemy of freedom that has ever existed.

Old 01-30-2016, 07:55 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,697,874 times
Did anyone on the forum attend or watch the last GOP debate from Des Moines?
Here's a new piece of interest from the NYTimes that focused on that GOP Iowa debate. The analysis I've seen elsewhere, as regards the hits Cruz took in the debate from the other candidates, has been echoed in other media sources that range all across the political spectrum.
Cruz had a weak debate & as pointed out here, was exposed on several of his positions.
I found something recently that looked back at Cruz's past career that was incredibly galling & horrible that he did while serving as the Texas Attorney General that showed his hard ideological edge & lack of human compassion.
I'm a bit pressed for time as I'm about to head to the Atl airport to catch my flight to Des Moines so I'll find that Texas incident when I return & post what Cruz did in a few days.
Iowa, here I come!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/30/us/politics/ted-cruz-republican-debate.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickS ource=story-heading&module=b-lede-package-region®ion=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=1

Old 01-30-2016, 03:57 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,609,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Iowa, here I come!
I wish we had set something up: I wouldn't have minded meeting you and your wife for a
Zombie Burger at Jordan Creek or something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa