U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 10:47 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,848,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I am hearing a story that Trump is upset because some Cruz people pushed a rumor that Ben Carson was dropping out of the race. Trump is saying that effected the outcome of the vote. For those that are in the know, did this effect the outcome at all? Was Carson that much of a factor that the numbers would sway that much toward Cruz?
I can speak firsthand on this.

I was a precinct captain for Cruz so yes, we got an email at 6:57pm stating that that CNN is reporting that Carson would be suspending his campaign. Another came similar email came to me about 7:15pm. You can find copies of these email very easily if you look at stories of this online.

Since the caucus started at 7, I wasn't paying attention to my smart phone, so I didn't see either email and thus did not mention this as part of my 2-3 minutes pitch for Cruz (each candidate is allowed for one speaker). So no one in my precinct was aware of this.

Vote count at my precinct where this info was NOT shared: Cruz 100 vs. Carson 24.

IMO, that is a pretty good indication of the vote advantage Cruz had with Carson without this knowledge being communicated so you have to question if it made much of a difference elsewhere.

For secondhand information, in watching Kelly File last night, they indicated that Fox also reported this based off of CNN story, so the blame really seems to be misdirected and should be at CNN.

Another factor to consider. A top Carson SuperPac donor switched to Cruz over the weekend prior to the Caucus as did some a fundraising arm in New Hampshire. It seems to me with that background knowledge already in hand, and then the CNN story comes out that he is going back to Florida after Iowa (when all serious candidates go directly to NH after Iowa), it really isn't too difficult to understand why they felt the CNN story was confirmation that things were't going well and he as getting out.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 01:13 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,848,422 times
Here's link to knowledge Cruz campaign had the day before the caucus.

Ben Carson’s entire NH super PAC staff quit and joined Ted Cruz’s campaign

Ben Carson

Old 02-06-2016, 01:55 PM

3,637 posts, read 3,615,587 times
Default Campaigns in Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I wish we had set something up: I wouldn't have minded meeting you and your wife for a
Zombie Burger at Jordan Creek or something like that.
Yes, that would have been cool & I thought of something similar so as to meet some of the Des Moines thread regulars but lost track of time, etc. before my trip & didn't make it online while I was up there.
As it happens, my host & her sister & I did get to the East Village Zombie Burger location. Other than at the long gone Millie's Drive Inn that used to be on University near the river & the botanical gardens, I've never enjoyed such a HUGE tenderloin sandwich!

Old 02-06-2016, 04:23 PM

3,637 posts, read 3,615,587 times
Here's a nice bit of new caucus retrospective that is media oriented.

Guerrilla hospitality becomes the new

Old 02-06-2016, 05:23 PM

5,105 posts, read 6,797,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Yes, that would have been cool & I thought of something similar so as to meet some of the Des Moines thread regulars but lost track of time, etc. before my trip
I know how that goes! Let's try again for your next trip, or if I go through Atlanta. I think it would be fun to talk about plants and your memories of Iowa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa