U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 07:48 PM

112 posts, read 91,929 times

Advertisements

Which GOP camp has it going good in your neighborhood? . eg. From who do you get calls, what neighbors are weighing in , lawn signs, bumper stickers?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 09:29 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,849,492 times
I've gotten most live calls from Cruz and Paul campaigns trying to get me to commit to their candidate/maybe volunteer. Both campaigns are very, very well organized in my area. Got first call from Rubio's (that one was looking for $$).

Old 01-26-2016, 04:08 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,431,015 times
I like the analogy that Steve Deace made about the race and upcoming Iowas Caucus:

“For this Caucus in 6 days, this is what Conservatives need to be thinking about. Which revolution to they want to fight? Trump’s French Revolution which is crude, which is power to the people, power to the mob, which is unpredictable and you don’t know how it is going to end? Or do they want to fight the American Revolution, which is liberty by the rule of law, that our rights come from God? These are the sorts of things that Ted Cruz stands for. And that is what I would encourage the conservatives in Iowa to be thinking about these last six days. “ – Steve Deace

Old 01-26-2016, 06:20 PM

5,105 posts, read 6,804,658 times
Who can beat Hillary or Bernie? That's what I'm thinking.

My neighborhood is about 1/2 Trump supporters; 1/4 Cruz supporters; and 1/4 misc: with Sanders probably leading. They were supporting Clinton earlier this year but I don't know of anyone who still is. There are no yard signs for her here, at all.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:07 PM

3,637 posts, read 3,617,454 times
Default Campaigns in Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressing-On View Post
I like the analogy that Steve Deace made about the race and upcoming Iowas Caucus:

“For this Caucus in 6 days, this is what Conservatives need to be thinking about. Which revolution to they want to fight? Trump’s French Revolution which is crude, which is power to the people, power to the mob, which is unpredictable and you don’t know how it is going to end? Or do they want to fight the American Revolution, which is liberty by the rule of law, that our rights come from God? These are the sorts of things that Ted Cruz stands for. And that is what I would encourage the conservatives in Iowa to be thinking about these last six days. “ – Steve Deace
Frankly neither of Mr. Deace's 2 offerings appeal to me. Not Trump's crudity & alarming level of rabble-rousing nor Cruz's frightening & theocratic tendencies based on his own perceived righteousness. Never.
But, I'm no longer a Republican & certainly not a social conservative. But I do remember when I fit both of those labels... long ago when the Republican Party actually kept out of people's personal lives & didn't invoke God as if it had the only direct line to Him or held the monopoly on knowing who was a real christian. And I remember a time when it did not have politicians and media sorts who basically wet the bed anytime anything bad happened anywhere in the world.
This may be taken as speaking harshly but today's Republican Party & the conservative movement are are not what I remember them to have been years ago. Sadly the likes of decent men like Dwight Eisenhower or Gerald Ford wouldn't have a place much less a chance in the party of today.
I can't imagine either of them ever lowering themselves to stoke fear in people. A people who are constantly scared & provoked into near-hysteria or constant agitation & anger run the risk of reaching out for fascism so as to seemingly keep themselves safe. Witness the example abroad of Putin's Russia of today as well as the 2 Trump videos below. Then listen to & note the words of the contrasting message in the 3rd video.
When I arrive back home in Iowa next weekend for a visit, I look forward to taking in the caucus event as an observer while fondly recalling my own participation as a registered voter in my first caucus event of many years ago.

Donald Trump: 'I could shoot somebody and I wouldn

Donald Trump said he'd kill terrorists' families at a rally. His crowd went wild. - Vox

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EuAZsz_z_U

Old 01-27-2016, 10:17 AM

9,261 posts, read 17,906,353 times
None of them seem very organized in my specific area. I can only think of one sign in town, for Ben Carson. And it's on a vacant lot, so I'm not even sure who it is supporting him.

I dropped my car off at the shop yesterday and the owner asked if I'd heard about one of the major Republican candidates being in town last night. All he knew was that his wife had heard a rumor about it at the bank. Turns out it was Ted Cruz, which I only know because of a picture a friend posted on Facebook this morning. So that one wasn't very well publicized, but they may have intentionally kept it quiet due to the small venue where he was appearing. His event was in a sort of banquet hall in a building that used to be the grocery store; I have to wonder if he told people at his previous stop that he was "going to the store".

Old 01-27-2016, 11:50 AM

2,652 posts, read 8,000,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Who can beat Hillary or Bernie? That's what I'm thinking.

My neighborhood is about 1/2 Trump supporters; 1/4 Cruz supporters; and 1/4 misc: with Sanders probably leading. They were supporting Clinton earlier this year but I don't know of anyone who still is. There are no yard signs for her here, at all.
If you look at it another way, I bet your neighborhood is 90% vote for whoever their party nominee is. And that's the problem with our country...

Old 01-27-2016, 04:22 PM

21,724 posts, read 38,127,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
If you look at it another way, I bet your neighborhood is 90% vote for whoever their party nominee is. And that's the problem with our country...
Good people are not usually drawn to be politicians much of the time, that is the problem.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:40 PM

4,944 posts, read 2,239,381 times
I am voting for Mr Trump its time to take our nation back.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:28 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,000,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
I am voting for Mr Trump its time to take our nation back.
Explain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa