Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2016, 12:58 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,813,486 times

Advertisements

60 eligible participants initially recorded at the beginning went missing in Ames, Iowa before it was time to tally up each person's candidate preference. I'm not from Iowa and I'm curious to know if this is the norm or if the Democratic Party has some explaining to do. What would prompt 60 people to leave early?

Quote:
A total of 484 eligible caucus attendees were initially recorded at the site. But when each candidate’s preference group was counted, Clinton had 240 supporters, Sanders had 179 and Martin O’Malley had five (causing him to be declared non-viable).

Those figures add up to just 424 participants, leaving 60 apparently missing. When those numbers were plugged into the formula that determines delegate allocations, Clinton received four delegates and Sanders received three — leaving one delegate unassigned.

Unable to account for that numerical discrepancy and the orphan delegate it produced, the Sanders campaign challenged the results and precinct leaders called a Democratic Party hot line set up to advise on such situations.
Sometimes, Iowa Democrats award caucus delegates with a coin flip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 02:39 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
First-time caucus goers often don't realize the time commitment required, so I could see people signing in and then taking off when they realized that they were going to be there awhile. I don't know that it's the "norm", but it certainly happens. And given that Ames is the home of Iowa State University I could see it happening to that extent as there would likely be a lot of first-timers there.

It's also possible that they could have gone to get credit for a class and bailed out at the first opportunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of: