U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2016, 08:06 PM

142 posts, read 222,385 times

Advertisements

Everywhere across the state, plows do not completely touch the road surface, leaving behind an inch or so of matted down snow/ice that makes driving almost more dangerous than if the roads had not been plowed at all.

Sometimes the DOT counts on salt and chemicals to melt the snow instead of plowing to remove the snow. I find this to be time consuming and often ineffective.

Say what you want about Illinois and Wisconsin but major roads in those states are plowed much more efficiently compared to what Iowa does.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 10:02 PM

5,105 posts, read 6,803,439 times
It's called a "snow pack" and keeps the roads in better shape. Get excellent tires and you won't notice it.

Old 01-22-2016, 06:58 AM

21,724 posts, read 38,124,410 times
Wisconsin generally always plows down to asphalt no matter what. Iowa is not up to that standard from what I've noticed.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:12 PM

134 posts, read 451,357 times
Wonder what their (Wis. Ill.) annual bill is for plow blade replacement. Clearing to bare concrete/asphalt will eat away at the cutting edge of a blade pretty fast. In my city the blades are set just above street surface just for this very reason, and also to keep the plow blade itself from catching on uneven joints/cracks in the road. I always love reading comments about snow removal, from people who probably have no idea what it actually takes to get the job done. Most people seem to think it's a very simple job, that any simpleton can do. Believe me, spend 12 hrs. driving one of those things, and you will have a whole new level of respect for the guys out clearing your roadways.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:57 PM

21,724 posts, read 38,124,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingit View Post
Wonder what their (Wis. Ill.) annual bill is for plow blade replacement. Clearing to bare concrete/asphalt will eat away at the cutting edge of a blade pretty fast. In my city the blades are set just above street surface just for this very reason, and also to keep the plow blade itself from catching on uneven joints/cracks in the road. I always love reading comments about snow removal, from people who probably have no idea what it actually takes to get the job done. Most people seem to think it's a very simple job, that any simpleton can do. Believe me, spend 12 hrs. driving one of those things, and you will have a whole new level of respect for the guys out clearing your roadways.
I never indicated that it was an easy job, and I'm sure snow removal budgets differ a bit depending on average annual snowfall (Wisconsin gets more snowfall every winter than Iowa). Nothing closed in WI unless it was a horrible storm with blowing snow and zero visibility. I drove rural roads to work and they were even clear the vast majority of the time. Trips to Iowa on rural roads seem to be more impacted by blowing and drifting snow due to less tree coverage, so maybe that is the biggest difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or