U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 01:55 PM

10,604 posts, read 15,288,297 times

Advertisements

It's obvious that Iowa couldn't care less that people have to work or have kids or whatnot and cannot show up at PRECISELY 6:30 PM for the dog and pony show.

Alternatively, all the medical workers, hospital workers, nursing homes, retail workers, restaurants, gas stations, utility workers, police, television personnel, newspaper employees, radio stations, snow plow workers, etc could just take off. Fend for yourselves.

Why not shut Iowa DOWN completely on "caucus day"?

Would that take power away from the ACTIVISTS? (rhetorical question)

The WHOPPING 6% who historically show up?

But it was very thoughtful that finally Iowa patriots decided to allow the military to caucus for apparently the first time in 2015.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Considering 13 states caucus instead of holding primaries (about 1/4 of all the 50 states), I doubt all other 49 really signed this

As of the 2012 election cycle, the states which use the caucus system include Iowa, Nevada, Minnesota, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Idaho, Kansas, Wyoming, Alaska, Washington, Florida and North Dakota. U.S. territories American Samoa and the U.S. Virgin Islands also use caucuses.

The most up to date list can be found here:

Bustle

2016 Presidential Primaries, Caucuses, and Conventions Chronologically

NO we do not have a caucus in FLORIDA. We have a primary.

Caucus states like to pretend they're grass roots. IMO they are corrupt insider activists locking out the citizens of the state. YMMV.

HECK in some caucus, the delegates aren't even BINDING.

CORRUPT!

Last edited by runswithscissors; 02-06-2016 at 02:28 PM..

Old 02-06-2016, 03:18 PM

9,411 posts, read 10,370,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
NO we do not have a caucus in FLORIDA. We have a primary.

Caucus states like to pretend they're grass roots. IMO they are corrupt insider activists locking out the citizens of the state. YMMV.

HECK in some caucus, the delegates aren't even BINDING.

CORRUPT!
I took that list from a website and it listed Florida. I wasn't 100% that was correct; that is why I provided 2 links that listed the most up to date info.

Old 02-06-2016, 05:19 PM

2,692 posts, read 5,257,818 times
Quote:
Considering 13 states caucus instead of holding primaries (about 1/4 of all the 50 states), I doubt all other 49 really signed this

As of the 2012 election cycle, the states which use the caucus system include Iowa, Nevada, Minnesota, Colorado, Hawaii, Maine, Idaho, Kansas, Wyoming, Alaska, Washington, Florida and North Dakota. U.S. territories American Samoa and the U.S. Virgin Islands also use caucuses.

The most up to date list can be found here:

Bustle

2016 Presidential Primaries, Caucuses, and Conventions Chronologically
Florida does not use caucuses. I've voted in many primary elections.

Old 02-06-2016, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I took that list from a website and it listed Florida. I wasn't 100% that was correct; that is why I provided 2 links that listed the most up to date info.
No problem but the first link doesn't state Florida. I didn't read the second one.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:03 PM

28,703 posts, read 42,043,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Hey Iowa,

Please get rid of your outdated, convoluted and frankly disastrous primary caucus system. It's archaic, and it's really unfair to busy working people who don't have time to spend hours in a caucus room. You really need to think about going to a regular election like most of us have. How you do the caucus thing is really beginning to embarrass the rest of us.

Thanks,

The Other 49 States
A complaint from The Nanny State. Not applicable. LMAO.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:48 AM

9,257 posts, read 17,881,380 times
Quote:
It's obvious that Iowa couldn't care less that people have to work or have kids or whatnot and cannot show up at PRECISELY 6:30 PM for the dog and pony show.

Alternatively, all the medical workers, hospital workers, nursing homes, retail workers, restaurants, gas stations, utility workers, police, television personnel, newspaper employees, radio stations, snow plow workers, etc could just take off. Fend for yourselves.

Why not shut Iowa DOWN completely on "caucus day"?

Would that take power away from the ACTIVISTS? (rhetorical question)
You're not in Iowa. You have absolutely no idea what accommodations are made for Iowans to participate in the caucus. It's treated much like jury duty; by and large, those who have a desire to take part in the caucus are able to take part in the caucus.

I've lived in Iowa through three Presidential caucus cycles and have yet to have anyone tell me that he or she wanted to take part but couldn't because of work. The fact is, most people aren't interested. They're happy to have someone else narrow down the field so they only have two choices on election day. And yes, they still have more than two choices on election day. But the vast majority won't look beyond the R and D candidate. That's a problem nationwide, not just in Iowa.

Quote:
The WHOPPING 6% who historically show up?
More like 29% for Democrats (171,109 out of 586,835 registered) and 30% for Republicans (186,874/615,763). Let's see if your state's primary turnout beats those numbers before casting stones.

Quote:
But it was very thoughtful that finally Iowa patriots decided to allow the military to caucus for apparently the first time in 2015.
All states should do more to ensure that their registered voters who are serving in the military are able to take part. That being said, I'd prefer to se the military have it's own nomination event.

Quote:
NO we do not have a caucus in FLORIDA.
Interesting that someone in Florida would choose to criticize another state's voting procedures. Does the phrase "hanging chad" ring any bells?

Old 02-08-2016, 08:29 AM

215 posts, read 204,742 times
Please be aware that caucuses and primaries are not 'elections'. They are more like 'selections' by people in the political parties involved, deciding who will be the candidate for that party. That selection can be and has been made by rich old white men in smoke filled back rooms, which is perfectly legal. After 1968 the two major parties decided they'd be more democratic in their selection. I'm pretty sure they're regretting that decision.

Hailing from Illinois (primary) and currently residing in Iowa (caucus) I'd certainly choose the primary but this works. It is interesting to see that your 'vote' is not secret and we all look at each other in the groups. Unlike these forums, you are identifiable and have to own up to your opinion.

Old 02-09-2016, 01:21 AM

1,911 posts, read 3,374,388 times
The caucus is simply an extension of the town crier mentality that dominates every aspect of Iowa's culture.

Old 02-09-2016, 08:03 PM

28,703 posts, read 42,043,335 times
Another one. Not Nanny State, but not in Iowa, either. I laugh every time you show up I Can't Spell My Name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or