Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 11:20 AM

2,012 posts, read 3,164,894 times

Advertisements

"The Friends of Cedar Lake unveiled plans for the lake Thursday night at an open house. This plan has come after more than 60 community feedback meetings over two and a half years.
The project will have everything from an illuminated pedestrian bridge to a boardwalk. And a new piece of the project is getting some fountains or artwork put in the part of the lake that's most visible from interstate 380. The plans also include vegetative floating islands and additional parking.
"We came in at just over eight million dollars. And that's exciting for us because of the overwhelming support that we have received from all of the community groups that we have been reaching out to for the last two and a half years. We really think we can hit that number with the majority coming from the private sector," said Felicia Wyrick
Friends of Cedar Lake will present the master plan to the city council for approval.
The group hope to transfer ownership of the lake from Alliant Energy to the city soon. An environmental study needs to be done on Cedar Lake first."

Group Unveils Final Plans for Cedar Lake

In other news, a popular brewery in Iowa City announced plans to open a new location in downtown Cedar Rapids:

"Linn County fans of Coralville's Backpocket Brewing won't have to travel as far to enjoy the same beers later this summer, as the brewer plans to open a location in downtown Cedar Rapids.
In a news release, the company said it hoped to open its Pilot Pub at 415 Third Street SE this summer. The pub will be used to brew smaller, more experimental batches of beer than is possible at its larger location in Johnson County.
“In this experimental brewery we will have the opportunity to take more chances on styles and recipes that we don’t want to brew on as large of a scale that we would have to at the brewery in Coralville,” Head Brewer Mike Wing said in the release.
Wing estimates adding the pilot pub will quadruple the number of new releases the brewery is able to produce each year.
The pub will go in the gymnasium space of the old Sokol Building. Work is already underway, with plans for 28-foot ceilings, a lofted seating area and a stained glass mural of Prague, according to the release.
“We are excited to open a second brewery in the heart of Cedar Rapids,” co­founder and brewmaster Jake Simmons said. “The community of Cedar Rapids has advanced so far since the flood in 2008 and it makes sense for us to have a brewpub in such a bustling city so close to our home brewery.”

Backpocket Brewing to Open Pilot Pub in Cedar Rapids

Last edited by smpliving; 02-05-2016 at 11:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 12:07 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,664,480 times
That's very exciting & encouraging news as central Cedar Rapids continues it's post-flood recovery!
Making the most of water resources in the form of rivers &/or lakes often can set a city apart from waterless cities.
Add Cedar Rapids to the list of Iowa cities that already boast impressive waterside/ waterfront areas... i.e. Des Moines, Dubuque or that are actively working on such improvements, i.e. Davenport, Sioux City, etc.
Speaking in particular about Cedar Rapids, I love how it's civic center on an island setting seems to float on the Cedar River and presents an illusion akin to that of a riverboat.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:17 PM

That area is such an eyesore right now being very visible along Interstate 380 and gives a terrible first impression of the city. I, for one, am very glad something is being done with it. That area has so much potential with a biking/walking trail already surrounding this particular lake.

Last edited by smpliving; 02-05-2016 at 12:44 PM..

Old 02-05-2016, 04:38 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,328,938 times
Looks like a nice project for CR.

Old 02-21-2016, 02:12 PM

7 posts, read 12,648 times
That sounds really nice but isn't that a pretty unsafe area? Not sure it's worth spending that much on a dangerous area. Also not sure why that's going to cost 8 millions dollars

Old 02-21-2016, 05:37 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,664,480 times
Default Exciting plans..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEilers View Post
That sounds really nice but isn't that a pretty unsafe area? Not sure it's worth spending that much on a dangerous area. Also not sure why that's going to cost 8 millions dollars
"..a pretty unsafe area..." in what way & by what sort of standards?

Old 02-22-2016, 05:24 AM

Quote:
It's safe with a bike trail that's used a lot. I've never had any problems over the years.

Old 03-11-2016, 11:24 AM

7 posts, read 12,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
"..a pretty unsafe area..." in what way & by what sort of standards?
I was mainly going by this:

https://www.crimereports.com/agency/CedarRapids

It looks like there's three sex offenders living within a couple blocks of the lake, and isn't that the trail where Judge Kelly was assaulted while jogging? It's also less than a mile away from the part of town where about 75% of all crime in CR appears to happen. Really unfortunate since that's our only "lake"

Old 03-11-2016, 12:35 PM

Quote:

It looks like there's three sex offenders living within a couple blocks of the lake, and isn't that the trail where Judge Kelly was assaulted while jogging? It's also less than a mile away from the part of town where about 75% of all crime in CR appears to happen. Really unfortunate since that's our only "lake"

It was very unfortunate what happened to Judge Jane Kelly in 2004 while biking along the Cedar Valley Trail, who is a potential replacement for US Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia, by President Obama. Her attacker was never found. Some believe the attack was connected to her work as a Federal public defender in Cedar Rapids from 1999-2013. She defended some of the worst cases in Iowa. My family and friends have used that trail for 20 years without problems. That's not to say it can never happen, but we never had issues and I've never heard of any other problems, such as Judge Kelly endured. I believe development of that area, which is adjacent to Robbins/Manhattan Lake and the many activities occurring there especially during festivities, would be a great asset to the city.

Last edited by smpliving; 03-11-2016 at 01:03 PM..

Old 03-14-2016, 02:02 PM

9,479 posts, read 12,226,822 times
Quote:

Like all crime stats, even sex offender stats should be taken as a grain of salt. Someone who had sex with his 17 and 1/2 old girlfriend when he was 18 can be labeled a sex offender the same as a man who molested 6 small children. I don't think the first one is a threat.

What I read about the Judge Kelly case, it seems a good possibility that she was a specific target and the location the crime happened isn't the issue.

Crime happens everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa