U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 06:01 AM

19 posts, read 31,636 times

Advertisements

601halfdozen,

Thanks for the suggestion in the DM. I've written the following to the Nelson Pioneer Farm and Museum:

Good Morning! I’m hoping you’re the one who will set the record straight on a bit of a historical mystery. There are conflicting accounts of where the (in)famous Ellis “Al” Swearingen is buried.

1. The White Cemetery, next to his parents Daniel and Keziah
2. The Mahaska County Farm Cemetery
3. In Denver, Colorado with a memorial service being held in Oskaloosa.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 10:41 AM

Here's new information from Shawn at the Nelson Pioneer Farm and Museum. Thanks, Shawn!

"We have lot cards for D.J. (died 1/29/1886), Keziah (died 07/16/1879), Franklin P. (died 07/31/1854) and William W. (died 01/29/1860) they are all buried in Section 4, lot 16.

I have no record of a Ellis "Al" Swearengen. From my lot cards, (and they were created possibly in the 1930s) it appears that D.J. was the wife, and Keziah was the husband. Franklin was an infant of 10 months and 27 days and Wm. W. was a lad of 16 years."

Note: Keziah is traditionally a female name (Keziah is Job's daughter in the Bible). I beieve DJ is Al's father, Daniel, and Keziah is Al's mother.

Last edited by lorcan458; 02-11-2016 at 10:54 AM..

Old 02-11-2016, 12:50 PM

6,062 posts, read 5,662,005 times
Yeah, that's what I thought. Findagrave is notoriously unreliable, unless there are photographs.

For a possibly definitive answer you'll have to read the Oskaloosa newspaper for the right month in 1904. The Mormons have microfilmed the newspapers, so you can get the microfilm via your regional LDS family history center, and sit and read it for yourself (or get someone else to do it). And even if you read the newspaper there may be no account about what happened to the body.

My money is on some kind of family service held in Osky, with the body in Denver. Bear in mind that Al died from being hit by a train. We don't know how much was left to scrape up.

But I really hope you do read the newspaper to see what you can find, because this is a subject that interests many.

Old 02-11-2016, 12:56 PM

We may have something significant tomorrow. Here's Shawn's latest message:

"I fould him! Just by a hunch I thought I would look in our funeral home records. I have him 55 years old, dead of a railroad accident in Denver, CO on Nov. 15, 1904. He is buried in Forest Cemetery here in Oskaloosa. I’ll check with the cemetery tomorrow morning when they are in and I can give you the section and Lot #.
Shawn"

Old 02-11-2016, 01:07 PM

VERY COOL!!

Get Shawn to send you a copy of the funeral home records - they sometimes are very detailed about cause of death and family and etc.

It still would be good to read the newspaper to find out more.

Old 02-11-2016, 03:39 PM
Status: "Can athiests get insurance for Acts of God?" (set 4 days ago)

3,636 posts, read 5,026,696 times
I've been following you guys' banter concerning the location of Swearengen's grave. I'm a big history buff so this is fascinating, especially with the connection to South Dakota and the TV show Deadwood (which I never missed).

Fun and interesting investigation by all of you. Reps for all 3 of you. Great work!!!!!

Old 02-11-2016, 03:48 PM

9,243 posts, read 17,652,710 times
Forest's online burial records show an Eliz. Swearingen in Section 17, Plot 52 5. One would assume that Eliz. would be short for Elizabeth, but maybe it's a mis-spelling of Ellis. It will be interesting to see what Shawn comes up with for a location.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:28 PM

Shawn sent photos of the undertaker's records. We defintitely found him! Tomorrow, hopefully we'll have confirmation of the section and plot.

imagen

image upload with preview

how to print screen on pc

Old 02-11-2016, 07:44 PM

4,758 posts, read 6,439,129 times
I didn't realize the Al character on Deadwood was an actual person. Learn something new everyday.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:52 PM

Wasn't it interesting the different types of costs for Al than for other burials on the page? No local cost for a casket or embalming - but they shaved the body in Oskaloosa. Gross! And I wonder what the "attendance" column means in this context. Paying someone to accompany the casket from Denver to Oskaloosa? Probably.

Oh - and we also see that his brother Lemuel paid for the funeral costs.

Now I'm DYING to know what mention the newspapers made of it all. See if Shawn will read the newspapers for the weeks before and after the burial. If you're really lucky, mention will be made of which minister led the service, in which case you can pursue the records of a specific church, which could lead to even more juicy info.

AND, if you (or Shawn) really want to get into it, you can check to see if there were any probate records in Mahaska Co. for Al. Maybe none if his estate wasn't probated there, but maybe full of great info about what property Al owned at the time of his death. I would bet that his estate was a mess leading to a lot of lovely juicy legal paperwork.

Isn't this fun?

We're all caught up in this now, so keep sharing what you learn with us. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa