U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 10:53 AM

1 posts, read 3,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionfarms View Post
I have read several threads about not to come to Iowa people are not nice, would this also be true of farm people? we want to buy a farm with at least 200 acres or more and bring some of our dairy cows and do our own thing (hay and cow stuff) but will people be weird about northeasterners? I have been there once and can remember how beautiful the land is unlike upstate NY nasty clay soil too many thick woods being in the Adirondacks, and flat open fields you cant afford to buy and pay the super high land taxes.
It isn't the people, it it the water quality. We rank 48th out of 50 for our rivers being the worst for pollution. As for air, just this last January, the DNR gave warnings to AVOID breathing the heavy fog as it was laced with nitric acid and ammonia.
My wife worked for two years in the eastern part of Waterloo and her most memorable days were when she got out of her car and had to breath the hog stench for most of the day. Maybe the new coal fired power plant that the majority of residents here are having a hard time stopping, will dilute the stench.
The residents of Iowa would welcome your 200 head of cattle as it would make Iowa and the northeast smell better at the same time.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 04:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,505 times
my husband and i are looking to move to iowa. he is interested in the hunting...deer mostly and i need to live near a hospital because of my job (i'm an x-ray/ultrasound tech). i don't know anything about iowa so any info will be great. we want country living cause that's where we come from. hope ya'll can help with some names of counties, towns, and even names of hospitals so that i can get online with some apps. before we decide on a move. gotta work. also my husband works for advance auto which is nationwide i suppose. thanks for any help you can give us!!!

Old 03-30-2008, 04:40 PM

310 posts, read 1,192,882 times
people who say Iowans aren't nice are the people who move here and try to change Iowa into the very place they moved away from. The people in Idaho and Montana call it the California Syndrome. You can't move somewhere and try to change it. You move somewhere to experience the differences of your new location.

People will love the idea that you want to move here to buy land and actually farm it instead of trying to buy land and develop it into some subdivision or shopping mall.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:37 PM

2,073 posts, read 5,066,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandtommy View Post
my husband and i are looking to move to iowa. he is interested in the hunting...deer mostly and i need to live near a hospital because of my job (i'm an x-ray/ultrasound tech). i don't know anything about iowa so any info will be great. we want country living cause that's where we come from. hope ya'll can help with some names of counties, towns, and even names of hospitals so that i can get online with some apps. before we decide on a move. gotta work. also my husband works for advance auto which is nationwide i suppose. thanks for any help you can give us!!!
Jen and Tommy, copy-paste this into a new thread and ppl will be able to help easier.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:34 PM

6,001 posts, read 14,625,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandtommy View Post
Check out Johnson, Cedar and Washington counties. All reasonable commuting distance wit U of Iowa Hospitals, the largest in the state. Like U of I Hosps, there's a large VA Hospital in Iowa City too, and a state security medical facility just outside town. Many opportunities for nurses. Plenty of country living nearby, with plenty of deer all over the place!

Good Luck.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:49 PM

I'll second Ben Around on Cedar County. I think that area has everything you guys are looking for. Close enough to hospitals, and farmland, but there is quite a bit of timber around there too which is good for deer.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:04 PM

13 posts, read 66,184 times
I have lived in Iowa all of my life but have lived in many cities big and small and have never found anyone to be unfriendly-- I have lived in Waterloo, Cedar Falls, Des Moines area (Bondurant), Ames and Garner--a rural town of 3000. It may be hard to make close type friends at first but I have never had a problem with unfriendliness in fact just the opposite and received many welcoming people in our small town with cookies right when we moved in.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:10 AM

114 posts, read 454,720 times
Union farms

Hell 1 good tornado will make everyone life long friends. we are a friendly bunch and we welcome newcomers. We really don't care where you are from as long as you work hard. Whoever thought that Iowa was unfriendly probably was unfriendly to begin with or had a superiority complex. We are not a bunch of hicks in the sticks who don't know up from down.. we actually breed outside of our family (sorry). seriously we are a fairly intelligent group of people that onc ou get us started we will talk and talk fast.

good luck

Old 04-09-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neanerbean View Post
Union farms

Hell 1 good tornado will make everyone life long friends. we are a friendly bunch and we welcome newcomers. We really don't care where you are from as long as you work hard. Whoever thought that Iowa was unfriendly probably was unfriendly to begin with or had a superiority complex. We are not a bunch of hicks in the sticks who don't know up from down.. we actually breed outside of our family (sorry). seriously we are a fairly intelligent group of people that onc ou get us started we will talk and talk fast.

good luck
lol, I like this post. Funny but true.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:37 AM

120 posts, read 281,506 times
Default NY transplant here

Hi there,
I love Iowa. I relocated to Iowa City from just north of Manhattan four years ago. I love and still miss New York, but I really like Iowa. From the moment I got here, I have never found the people to be anything but welcoming and friendly. As with anywhere, there are always people who are unpleasant, but that is because that is THEIR nature and is not at all typical of Iowans.

My latest most notable experience with Iowan generosity came this winter when it there was a 'major' snow in Iowa City almost every day. Although I know most of my neighbors, three of my neighbors, none of whom I know other than to say "hello" to on the street, made a point of coming over and snow-blowing my driveway every time it snowed more than 3-4 inches. And they not only consistently kept my drive clear, they went up and down my street clearing my other neighbors' drives as well, often working well into the night.

So, I really believe that you get back from people what you put out: if you are warm and friendly, then others will respond in like. In my case, people here were very forgiving of my often assertive New York-ish 'ways', and as a result, I feel that I have learned a thing or two from Iowans about how to be a friendlier more generous human
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or