Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2010, 02:34 AM

60 posts, read 209,539 times

Advertisements

sorry I haven't posted anything yet I've been either swamped with work or out of Iowa City, but I promise I will soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 03:27 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,759,849 times
Looking forward to seeing the pictures

Old 03-24-2010, 01:51 AM

412 posts, read 1,149,077 times
Nice pictures and thanks for sharing! I'm moving to Iowa next month.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:32 PM

First of all here is a map of Iowa City, the red being the area that contains most of the buildings where classes are held and other important buildings, and the green area being the next picture.

Here you can see just how small of a window this is. I've labeled the spots where I stopped to take a picture and even the direction I pointed!

One last thing before the pictures, these were taken in March just a few days ago.. the temperature a month ago was probably in the single digits and the ground covered in snow, but now it is creeping into the 50's and 60's. As it gets warmer the snow melts and there is a short window where the trees have no leafs and overall there lacks color to the city. So as you see these pictures just imagine green foliage everywhere : ) Also I took these pictures during class around 2 so there aren't very many people out and about at that very moment.

1. From Schaeffer Hall looking towards downtown

2. same as 1

3. same as 1 & 2

4. From the fountains in the center of the Ped Mall looking towards the Old Capitol Mall

5. The sitting facilities at the Ped Mall : )

6. The fountain shuts off during the winter but usually shoots 6 streams of water into the air

7. This area has playground equipment, fitness facilities and my favorite mini supermarket Bread & Garden Market

8. A different angle of the Ped Mall area

9. Same as 8

10. On top of a parking ramp looking down Burlington

11. Clinton street south, going away from the Campus

12. Clinton street looking towards bars and university buildings in the same shot : )

13. The engineering building

14. The skyline of the west side of the river

15. The Pentacrest

16. Engineering building again

17. Scooters and pentacrest

18. Engineering building in front left, Library back left, communications building right

19. IMU in the distance

20. Self-explanatory

21. Communications building (not sure if they are 2 separate buildings because I've never been in there

22. A quick peek inside a lecture in the library's lecture hall

23. Walking north on Madison looking at the Pentacrest

24. Closer to the pentacrest

25. Closer still!

26. Looking through buildings towards Phillips hall

27. The area east of the old capitol where I would consider the "heart" of Iowa City, or at least the campus.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:02 PM

Thanks for the pictures, they were great. Myself seeing very little of Iowa City/ University of Iowa I was able to see the campus in different angles. Again, this was really helpful as I could possibly be attending the school this fall.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:51 PM

You should probably know that I took these pictures in between two classes when I had a while to walk around. There's a lot more that I didn't have time to photograph since only one picture shows the inside of a building and there are no photos from the west side of the river nor the north part of campus. I'll take more pictures when the leafs show up how does that sound

Old 03-29-2010, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thtapler View Post
You should probably know that I took these pictures in between two classes when I had a while to walk around. There's a lot more that I didn't have time to photograph since only one picture shows the inside of a building and there are no photos from the west side of the river nor the north part of campus. I'll take more pictures when the leafs show up how does that sound
That would be fantastic, thanks.

Yeah I notice there were very few students commutting on the sidewalks, which is likely because the pictures were taken during class session. Well I'll be looking forward to seeing early spring pictures you plan to take in the future.

Also in pic 2, are the above level buildings vacant? It appears the black building has been burn and absence of windows.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:31 PM

681 posts, read 3,025,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
That would be fantastic, thanks.

Yeah I notice there were very few students commutting on the sidewalks, which is likely because the pictures were taken during class session. Well I'll be looking forward to seeing early spring pictures you plan to take in the future.

Also in pic 2, are the above level buildings vacant? It appears the black building has been burn and absence of windows.

I hope you won't mind if I jump in here, thtapler. Excellent pictures, by the way!

No, that building isn't burned or vacant. It's just ugly. And it looks like it needs a new roof pretty soon.

That building has an odd kind of black rock wall treatment on it. And upstairs floors are a dive bar called "One Eyed Jake's". It's pretty dark up there, and since this picture was taken in the afternoon on a weekday--it's probably closed anyway.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpHawkeye View Post
I hope you won't mind if I jump in here, thtapler. Excellent pictures, by the way!

No, that building isn't burned or vacant. It's just ugly. And it looks like it needs a new roof pretty soon.

That building has an odd kind of black rock wall treatment on it. And upstairs floors are a dive bar called "One Eyed Jake's". It's pretty dark up there, and since this picture was taken in the afternoon on a weekday--it's probably closed anyway.
Oh thanks, I thought the building had once experience a fire.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:27 PM

2,156 posts, read 11,119,474 times
thtapler
Very nice photos. I really like that PED Mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa