U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 03:13 PM

5 posts, read 3,370 times

Advertisements

Hello all.
I'm now live in Russia, and I think about immigration in USA.
The reasons for immigration are several:
1. I'm gay. In Russia, gays do not like and do not respect. In the United States, as far as I know, same-sex marriages are allowed and the attitude towards gays more democratic.
2. The political situation within the country. The fact that in the Russian total corruption, it is an obvious fact. But television at home and influence of television on people gives fruits and citizens simply do not want to see this problem. For the people "legitimately elected" president little to do. Putin is engaged in foreign policy, giving the country the thieves in power.
3. Money / salary. The salaries in this country are not the highest. More specifically, the majority of Russians salaries are low, about pensions, and say nothing.
It's only three reasons that I have outlined. Would live you in our country (I do not mean in the capital - Moscow - and somewhere in Kemerovo or another small town) for at least a year, would you single out any one dozen reasons why it would be necessary to think about moving to more prosperous country.

Of course, the process of immigration is not simple. But I am not now going to leave. First of all, it is necessary to save money and learn the language. The study of language is not a problem. Books in English I have enough, and the Internet at hand.
Another thing is age. I think 18 years is unlikely to begin to immigrate. I am now 17 years old. I think that in 23-25 years it is already possible to leave Russia.
Honestly, I do it with pleasure.

Now I move on to the most important. The questions that I have to you, real Americans. I hope you will answer my questions.
Questions focused on Iowa, but if you are familiar with the situation in other States, I would appreciate it if you give an example how is the situation in another State.

So, first question: What is the cost of housing? Of course, just arrived in the country I can hardly afford to buy a house, and I'm interested in the rental value of the house or apartment.
The second question: the work; as is the situation with the job search and what are the most popular job?
The third question: payment for municipal services. What are your fees for public services and is it possible to pay for these services in the rental price?
The fourth question: the Internet. I think in the United States, the situation with the Internet is different than in Russia. I wonder what is the payment for the Internet and what it mostly - fast, slow, cheap, dear? (Mobile, fiber-optic, etc.)
Fifth question about my sexual orientation. As far as I know, in the US gay situation it is quite otherwise than in Russia, but also tell you exactly what your attitude towards gays. I'm not going to hold parades and the like, I'm just wondering how you feel about gay person?

And I add - of course, not so easy to move to the US. And with 18 years, I will take part in the drawing of a green card. On some forums about moving to the United States (Russian-speaking) I've read that you can come to the US on a visa and then apply for political asylum.
Of course, maybe I hurried to the fact that the questions asked. In just a few years, during which I'll be prepare to move to the United States, can a lot to change,but to know in advance from real people America about America - it is the first step in a big way.

I apologize in advance if anything you do not understand. My knowledge of English is not perfect and some phrases I built with the help of an online translator.

Thanks in advance for your detailed answers or advice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 07:33 AM

49 posts, read 43,754 times
Iowa might be a good fit for you. Here are some ideas:

1. Housing in Iowa is among the most affordable in America. Other than Texas and maybe North/South Dakota I struggle to think of an area where you can get more for your money.

2. The job situation in Iowa is pretty good. Again, there are probably a few states with lower unemployment rates but Iowa is overall in the top 10 for employment rate last I checked.

3. It will depend entirely on where you live. Too specific a question for the whole state.

4. This will also depend on where you live as most areas only have 1 or 2 options for service providers. I pay $60/month for cable internet which is very fast. Many areas do have fiber optic.

5. Iowa in general is a pretty gay-friendly area. This will be more true in the bigger cities and less true in the smaller towns, in general. Iowa City, in particular, is known as a pretty gay-friendly and liberal area overall.

Based on your situation Iowa would probably be a very good fit for you. In general a lot of the more liberal, gay-friendly states have a high cost of living. Iowa offers a similar atmosphere at a fraction of the cost.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:32 AM

Thank you for your responses.
I will hope, in the near future I safely get over to America.
And now I go to learn English.

Old 03-20-2016, 09:57 AM

9,668 posts, read 9,221,043 times
You don't happen to have some German in your genetic makeup do you? The reason I ask is that there are LOTS of German/ Russians in the midwest. Iowa, Nebraska and the Dakotas in particular. My Great Grandfather moved here from the Saratov region in 1914...

Old 03-20-2016, 10:03 AM

1,153 posts, read 743,805 times
You won't find much difference in political systems. The USA is also run by Oligarchs, but they are perhaps more subtle rather than overt when it comes to their control over the country, our economy, the mass media, and ordinary freedoms that previous generations took for granted.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:08 AM

No, I don't think that I have any relatives living in another country.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:01 PM

572 posts, read 571,781 times
I will try to answer your questions....

1) In the bigger cities in Iowa, you can probably rent a 1 bedroom apartment for about $400 - $500 per month. Most smaller towns would be cheaper.
2) It is hard to say this kind of job is common or that kind of job is common. It depends on your location, your skills, your education, etc. You may want to consider going to college in Russia, get a degree in a field that interests you and then use that to obtain a work VISA in the US. Unless you have already decided on a specific city, you could let the job dictate where you live.
3) Most apartment rents will include heat, water, and garbage. Electricity, cable tv, internet, telephone, etc. are extra. You can expect to pay monthly about $50 for electricity and can usually bundle your cable tv, internet and telephone for about $100-$140.
4) See #3 for prices. Several cities in Iowa have very fast internet (fiber optic), but if you want very high speeds (over about 15M download), you will pay a lot more. DSL is plenty fast for me, but it just depends on what you want to do.
5) Gay marriage is legal in Iowa now. There are still a lot of people against it, but there is little if any actions taken against gays.... it is mostly just political. Most areas (especially the bigger cities) in Iowa you would not have any problems at all. It is widely accepted and tolerated. You have a good plan with not being active about your sexual orientation. You can be openly gay without any problems as long as you do not try to force your beliefs on others... Most people there are tolerant of a person's beliefs as long as he is not trying to change their beliefs. Hope that makes sense.

By the way, you did very well with your translations! Good luck!

Old 03-21-2016, 03:07 AM

Oh, thank you very much for the price and such detailed answers.
I have 4 years to adulthood. And before and during these four years, I can learn to be some specialization and learn a language.
With this and I start - with learning and language learning.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:06 AM

215 posts, read 204,996 times
I work at the University of Northern Iowa. We have a sister University in St. Petersburg so we have a lot of Russian students. Take a look at this link https://www.uni.edu/intladm/russia It may get you where you want to go.

Old 03-23-2016, 08:44 AM

317 posts, read 335,763 times
I will try to give you some general points of reference.

First, I wonder why you picked Iowa? In a general sense, it is a more rural state. The capitol, Des Moines, is however a city. As an example, if I as an American decided to move to Russia, would you say I would have an easier time fitting into a big city like Moscow, or a small village far away from a big city where everyone is only Russian?

A general approach to the US is that major cities are more open and liberal than rural areas. Big cities tend to be more progressive, smaller cities tend to be more conservative and less diverse.

The biggest cities in the US tend to be concentrated on the East and West Coasts. New York and Los Angeles are the biggest cities in the US. The coasts are more densely populated. However, there are many big cities spread throughout the Midwest (middle of US). Chicago is the largest of those.

I believe you will find that people are more accepting of gay lifestyle, or any lifestyle, in larger cities, and less open to them in smaller towns. This, however, is a general statement. Larger cities offer a more diverse population as well. For example, in large cities, you may find people from more areas, including other Russians, and maybe even Russian communities. In more rural areas, you are less likely to find this diversity.

In general, large cities are more expensive to live in than small towns and rural areas. Housing, taxes, and cost of goods in general, will cost more in a big city. However, big cities tend to also have greater job opportunity, and offer higher salaries. What you do for work, and what kind of job you want, will be a big part of where you would decide to live.

I don't know about the visa or green card process. I do know that many people have been able to come to the US through college study programs. If you come for college, I would be less worried about location and more concerned with the quality of the education, because nearly all large colleges have a diverse population.

Where I live, I have met several people who came from Russia. Typically, they have come to the US for jobs in technology, specifically software programming, as well as finance and mathematics.

Hope this information is helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or