U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 12:52 PM

30 posts, read 74,437 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Wyoming back to the Midwest in a few weeks to take a new job at a college. I'm very familiar with the area as it is where I did my undergraduate work.

After seeing some of vibrant pictures of things to do in the QCA and just looking for a more interesting place to live after spending a few years in very beautiful, but very not-much-to-do-unless-you-love-the-outdoors Wyoming, I am allured by the idea of possibly living in the city and commuting to Western Illinois (Galesburg) where I'd be working.

Any advice regarding places to avoid? Excitement is one thing, but crime is another...but there isn't a ton of information online to give me a clearer idea of where things are.

Thanks a lot.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 03:28 PM

2,073 posts, read 5,066,012 times
Moline isn't bad, and it would certainly be easier to get to Galesburg because you wouldn't have to deal with potential i-74 bridge traffic in the morning as you would on the IA side.

However, have always favored Davenport-Bettendorf over Moline/Rock Island. If you decide to go with the IA side, I'd recommend Bettendorf, or NE Davenport near 53rd.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
Moline isn't bad, and it would certainly be easier to get to Galesburg because you wouldn't have to deal with potential i-74 bridge traffic in the morning as you would on the IA side.

However, have always favored Davenport-Bettendorf over Moline/Rock Island. If you decide to go with the IA side, I'd recommend Bettendorf, or NE Davenport near 53rd.
Any thoughts on the Crescent Lofts development? I'm considering it, mostly because after living here, it'd be nice to be part of a downtown again..it's been a long time.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:24 PM

2,073 posts, read 5,066,012 times
Yea I've seen pictures of exterior and interior, the place looks really nice! Actually I think "QuadCityImages" ... another user on here, knows a lot about it... maybe if you message him he would be able to provide you with more information, but obviously I'm not sure.

QuadCityImages:
Hope you don't mind I referred him to you, but I think I remember you talking about this place quite a bit...

Old 02-13-2008, 12:02 AM

Funny enough, he's the reason I considered moving there. I do know the area well, but never considered commuting. I'll drop him a note, thanks!

Old 02-13-2008, 06:49 AM

413 posts, read 1,586,493 times
I'm glad that my showing off of the QC area is doing some good!

Here are a few more pictures of the Crescent Warehouse District, which currently is made up of 3 buildings: The Crescent Macaroni Building (where I lived), the Waterloo Mills Building, and the 4th Street Lofts building.

This first one was my apartment in Crescent Macaroni.

The same building at night

The front of the 4th Street Lofts during construction. (I probably have a more recent one somewhere that I can post later)

A couple of apartments in the 4th Street Lofts, from the Grand Opening tour.

View from the roof of the 4th Street Lofts

View to the opposite direction from the roof of the Crescent Lofts. (The area to the West is still semi-industrial, although this is changing slowly)

Old 02-13-2008, 03:59 PM

Thanks for this! It really helps.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:42 PM

15 posts, read 92,465 times
Thats a long commute. Are you hooked on the area, or being in the city. If its a matter of being in the area, but not necessary to live in the city there are various reasonable options to make the commute more livable.

Moline, as mentioned, would be okay, the avoidance of the I74 morass would save some time and hassle daily.

LeClaire is a nice town, right on I80 ( thus easy to cross the river and bolt to Galesburg ), and is close enough to the various cities to pretty much anything you want in a timely manner ( of course, Rapids City and Port Byron are on the Illinois side of the river across from LeClaire and offer much the same ).

Geneseo is a real nice town, out of the area by 15 to 20 mintues from Moline, easy to get to Galesburg, and a change of pace.

You can look at other cities and see various opportunities, its really a matter of what you want, for lifestyle, driving ( how much of your life do you want to give up commuting ). Why no tlive in Galesburg and commute to the QC for fun?

Old 02-15-2008, 02:58 PM

My initial thought was to be connected to the city, because I've pretty much done the opposite (live in the quiet place and commute to the city for 'fun'.) But when you're going somewhere new with no real connections, it's very difficult to cultivate real links to the larger metropolitan area unless you live there.

But that all being said, it's seemingly a needless set of expenses to add to moving, which is itself a hassle. So I'm weighing my options.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:34 AM

2 posts, read 7,448 times
Default working in Galesburg?

I have lived in the QC area my whole life. I know it like the back of my hand. If you are going to work in Galesburg, living in Iowa is going to push your commute to atleast an hour, since Galesburg is 48 miles into Illinois going I-74. Thats just to get to 34 as well, so depending where you work in Galesburg depends on how many more miles you would have to drive. Iowa is the better side of the QC. Its cleaner, has much newer parts, and the schools are good. LeClaire is a good upcoming town, PV schools are good. So are Bettendorfs. A nice house is going to run you atleast 120,000 in any of the main QC cities. If you want a very nice home, less than 10 years old, its going to be atleast $200,000. Renting houses is impossible unless you are going to spend $2000 on a nice house, or slum it in a dirt hole for $500. Not much in between. What I did I moved to Galva, IL. They have good schools, the whole town is pretty friendly, you may gets some suspicious looks, but everybody for the most part is very friendly. You can also pick up a nice house that would cost you $100,000 in the QC for about $40-50 thousand. It would also cut your drive in half. You can get to Galesburg in about 25 minutes. I used to work at the hospital there, so thats a dead on time. Another nice thing about living here is you are only 45 minutes from the QC, which would be the same time you were planning on driving everyday anyways. So, you can save your gas everyday on the drive, and spend it on your weekends. Also, Peoria is only 45 minutes away, Chicago is just over 2 hours away, and Bloomington is only 1 hour and 15 minutes away. Being centered between all those cities will give you an endless supply of entertainment. I would not move to Galesburg though. The schools suck and the real estate has dropped like 25% in the last 2 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa