U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 07:02 PM

310 posts, read 1,187,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaines103 View Post
We moved to Iowa City from the East coast 2 years ago because my husband got a 'job offer he couldn't refuse'. I can't wait until we can retire to get out of here. There's nothing to do here. We've always found tons of things to do, places to eat & shop in AZ when we've been there and that's where we will retire. Think twice about coming back to this small town environment. The 'newness' wears off very soon and you'll definitely miss civilization. Not a day goes by that I don't think of something I miss from where I used to live.

wow, get out of your living room and go downtown. If you can't find anything to do in Iowa City then you aren't even trying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 09:52 AM

7 posts, read 47,863 times
i feel like a failure staying in CB because everyone does it-the bars are a huge high school reunion-its a big enough place so that everyone doesnt know everyone, but you do run into everyone often. Everyone talks about how they hate it and want to move and when people do move they get sucked back in. I used to live in Vegas and now here i am back in iowa haha. it is a great place, i love being somewhere familiar with roads that dont run East to West and North to South, where my family is and oldest friends. But the summers are brutal and the winters are brutal and there is BARELY an in between. I want to try somewhere else before i decide to stay in Iowa, so thats my plan.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:00 PM

310 posts, read 1,187,713 times
I'm going to lie, I thought this thread was a joke at first

Old 02-27-2008, 03:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,707 times
I grew up in Council Bluffs also. I return to visit relatives about once and year and even though development has improved Council Bluffs/Omaha, some, it has a long way to go to compare with what Mesa/Phoenix has to offer. The property taxes are outrages, the weather stinks, storms and humidity in summer followed by snow and ice in winter. Where are the improvements in the intrastructure the people are paying dearly for? The roads are deplorable. Inter city has deteriorated to the point where that exists is just shell of what once was. Now most the business are secondhand stores, bars and auto shops. A few of the retail stores have moved to the fringe of town. The east side of Omaha isn't much better. Compare to Mesa/Phoenix where property taxes are less than 1/3 on what you pay on the assessed value and weather with daytime temps above 60 degrees most of year. Entertainment, shopping and restrauants abound with California, Nevada and Mexico on your doorstep. Jobs are plentiful and pay substantially more than many in the Omaha area. Council Bluffs may be good for some, but I've served my time. Mesa/Phoenix resident for 20 years.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,685 times
House values are a lot less in council Bluffs and Omaha than other areas of the country so paying more in property taxes does not bother me too much. I can afford to have a second home on a lake in Minnesota and go south in the winter so the awful weather does not affect me too much.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:56 PM

102 posts, read 93,537 times
A lot of people decide to move into CB from the surrounding smaller towns. It's all about perspective. If the OP wants to find a low cost of living, friendly people and proximity to a mid-cized city (Omaha), it's a good place for him. Having grown up there, I can assure you that there aren't a ton of people there who will even make fun of you for your spelling!

Old 07-22-2015, 11:36 AM

694 posts, read 832,836 times
^They probably haved moved by now. The OP posted almost 9 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or