U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 09:13 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,865,180 times

Advertisements

[quote=metro223;2883752]No, I'm pretty sure we will continue to have our rights and freedoms Sassy. Not sure where you are getting this scary little idea? What are some examples of the perfume/cologne ban? That's really strange!

Metro, I guess you just cannot conceive that someday your rights that you now take for granted, just might not be there. I'm not saying that there should be smoking in the work place, I'm saying that slowly our rights are being taken away and yes...that should scare anyone. There is a lot of revenue made off of the cigarette tax, ban cigarettes and then where is the money going to come from to take it's place? I say a little thank you whenever I go to Mexico for my cigarettes and there is NO TAX.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 12:55 PM

681 posts, read 2,835,621 times
Actually, lots of theaters and auditoriums ask that you not wear perfume or cologne to their events. I'm not sure that constitutes a ban or not, but that's probably what they were thinking of. In any case, if you had to sit next to someone who smelled like an AXE truck tipped over for two hours...you'd see the merit of the "ban" pretty quickly.

For the record, I think smoking bans are a good idea, I just want to see cities have jurisdiction over the issue, instead of the state..and I'm not sure about the idea of banning people from smoking outside on the public street...that seems a little much.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:52 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,865,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpHawkeye View Post
Actually, lots of theaters and auditoriums ask that you not wear perfume or cologne to their events. I'm not sure that constitutes a ban or not, but that's probably what they were thinking of. In any case, if you had to sit next to someone who smelled like an AXE truck tipped over for two hours...you'd see the merit of the "ban" pretty quickly.

For the record, I think smoking bans are a good idea, I just want to see cities have jurisdiction over the issue, instead of the state..and I'm not sure about the idea of banning people from smoking outside on the public street...that seems a little much.
I have no problem with a smoking ban inside public buildings, I just feel that banning all smoking is way over the top. One of these days there will be a ban on something that the let's ban all smoking group is not going to like.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:56 AM

8 posts, read 32,712 times
I think banning smoking in bars is ridiculous

Old 02-23-2008, 12:35 PM

14 posts, read 62,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
Well, if you think they will just stop at the smoking ban, hold onto your shorts. Have you noticed any places where you cannot wear perfume or cologne yet, well I have. When will they ban flowers because "some" people are allergic to them. It does not seem to bother anyone until Big Brother wants to control something they enjoy. If you don't think we are slowing losing our rights in this country, just stand back and watch.
You have hit the nail right on the head Sas,In England every part of our lives seems to be in control of Big Brother Goverment and its coming your way.My own view is that I hate smoking and agree it should be banned in dining areas,offices and the workplace.But now hear this,in todays press it is now going to be banned OUTSIDE all these places.Muggers and rapist got more rights here!The reason I loved America when I was over there is because you have got freedom,the goverment lets you do almost anything within the law,dont lose it.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:45 PM

1,744 posts, read 6,782,661 times
Quote:
Actually, lots of theaters and auditoriums ask that you not wear perfume or cologne to their events..

Which ones? I'm not doubting this or "calling you out" or anything, I've just never heard this. Probably a good idea. Last night I shook a dude's hand who was doused in cologne and it took me a few washings to get the smell off my hand. Not cool.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:02 PM

40 posts, read 105,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro223 View Post
A lot of people are basically saying what I'm saying, not sure why you are just wigging out on me. Anyway:

I've never heard of driving a car causing lung cancer, breathing diseases, etc... so no it's not necesarilly that it's "harming the environment," it's that it causes cancer and other problems for people. And though I do think 2nd hand smoke is way overblown, I do acknowledge it as a real thing.

Didn't mean to offend you, just the way I see it.
No I am not wigging out on you!!! I just dont see how everyone can be so offended by cigarette smoke when there are so many toxins in the air anyway. It will take alot more than everyone quitting smoking to clear our air. 1 out of every 3 americans get cancer. We have ALOT more than cigarettes to worry about!

Old 02-23-2008, 02:25 PM

157 posts, read 288,077 times
Talking Logic

I know a lot of people that smoke. Not one has killed somebody lighting up. But, now drinking, is there any ban on that. Hell no, our government officials like to toast each other on the hell they put the "little" guy through. Is ILLEGALS Banned? NOOOOOOOOOOO GET REAL IOWA!!!!!!!

Old 02-23-2008, 02:58 PM

681 posts, read 2,835,621 times
I have a general question to everyone. How would this smoking ban be any different than the open-container laws that Iowa (and most other states) already have? I mean, you can't go and drink a beer in public--and that seems less harmful to others around you than smoking does. Why does this stir up such emotion among everyone when the open container laws have gone unchallenged for years and years?

I'm not trying to make a point here, I'm just asking an honest question.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:26 PM

2,073 posts, read 5,066,831 times
Quote:
I have a general question to everyone. How would this smoking ban be any different than the open-container laws that Iowa (and most other states) already have? I mean, you can't go and drink a beer in public--and that seems less harmful to others around you than smoking does. Why does this stir up such emotion among everyone when the open container laws have gone unchallenged for years and years?

I'm not trying to make a point here, I'm just asking an honest question.
Because people are trying to make it into some conspiracy. That is why it stirs up emotion. It is what it is, some of you act like this is the beginning of a downward spiral of our rights, why soon we'll have to all abide by the same dress code and be in our houses by 7:30 pm!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or